Aerodynamic drag on the escape trailer? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So, should I surmise that adding a cap to my Silverado tow bed will work significantly as an air deflector?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
So, should I surmise that adding a cap to my Silverado tow bed will work significantly as an air deflector?
Possibly if combined with a set of wind surfers on a roof rack.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #43

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
there's not much to be done to a TV itself. Even pick-ups don't benefit much from a pick-up bed cover (tonneau cover), and opening or closing the tail-gate does not make much difference either, and sometimes makes it worse. What happens is the air gets in behind the pick-up cab, and rolls around in a circle, and actually creates
a kind of air cushion to push incoming air up and away from the tailgate. Mythbusters tested this but they only tested one truck, which is a very poor sample group. different length beds, cabs all may have different outcomes.

the bottom line is to stop that air from hitting your TV.
fatehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #44

https://www.motortrend.com/news/truc...-improvements/

Here's an article that talks about how difficult this is. Look at the picture of the smoke and see how it goes over the tailgate, but would run directly into the TV behind it. this is why semi-trailer tractor units are the same height as the trailer.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
There's no question that the speed of the air through which the "rig" is traveling makes a BIG difference. Recently traveling from Colorado to Kansas on I-70, with probably a 20, maybe 25 mph tail wind, and perhaps the fact that the general trend is slowly downhill, I got 19 mpg with the rig described in my side info. Then more recently going north on I-25 in Wyoming against a 20 mph wind with perhaps a slight uphill trend, I was getting 10.6 mpg! Both times traveling not over 60 mph. Today, returning from Wyoming on I-80 with perhaps a 10 mph tailwind, at 65 mph we were getting 16.6 mpg.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
To all you guys, my answer is... I thought so.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While a tonneau cover over the pickup box is likely useless for towing (aerodynamically), a cap is very different, and might help. A high-rise cap (taller than the cab) would presumably be better than a level cap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the tonneau cover eliminates tailgate lag and while the cap may help with air, you have extra added weight, maybe 200# which will impact gas. On this last trip, 50 hours@ avg speed 60 at 19 mpg over the entire trip out to Chilliwack. Leaving Chilliwack over to Osoyoos, on the return 60 hours @ 50 mph towing speed gave me an average of 15 mpg to home. These numbers are skewed somewhat in that over the mountains my average was as low as 8-10 and with head winds 10-12, once I hit Iowa and east my mileage increase first a little as Iowa gas has that corn additive. Once on the other side of the Big M, I was able to use high-test and mid grade without additives and my mpg slowly increase to 12 and once in Indiana and Ohio up to 13.5 and finally up to 15 over the last 500 miles to home.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have already noticed that I am pushing less air with my new Tundra / 5.0 TA combination than I did with my Tacoma / 19' combination. I suspect it is because the lower part of the 5.0 sits wrapped around the box and is close enough to the truck, that there is only the truck and the top part of the 5.0 pushing through the air.

Whereas on my 19' with the E2 WDH it was far enough back from the truck that the airflow over the truck was hitting the trailer. So in effect pushing the same air twice as Fatehunter points out. So even though the Tundra is a bigger truck and a V8 vs a V6, I'm getting better MPG with this new combo than I did with the Tacoma. Another factor is that the Tundra doesn't need to downshift as often for the same conditions as the Tacoma since it has the power to pull grades in a lower gear at lower engine RPMs.

Bottom line, going to the rally this year with the new rig I saw a 2 - 3 MPG improvement over the prior combo the previous year. I took the same route over two mountain passes at about the same speed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4230.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I'm convinced. Much like ballooning, I'll camp wherever the tailwind takes me (for optimum mileage, of course).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatehunter View Post
there's not much to be done to a TV itself. Even pick-ups don't benefit much from a pick-up bed cover (tonneau cover), and opening or closing the tail-gate does not make much difference either, and sometimes makes it worse. What happens is the air gets in behind the pick-up cab, and rolls around in a circle, and actually creates
a kind of air cushion to push incoming air up and away from the tailgate. Mythbusters tested this but they only tested one truck, which is a very poor sample group. different length beds, cabs all may have different outcomes.

the bottom line is to stop that air from hitting your TV.
Hi: fatehunter... So "Breaking wind" has a lot to do with it.!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While a tonneau cover over the pickup box is likely useless for towing (aerodynamically), a cap is very different, and might help. A high-rise cap (taller than the cab) would presumably be better than a level cap.
You are absolutely right. A canopy with a wedge would work very well. I think I misunderstood 'cap' to mean a tonneau cover, but I see it means a canopy. I've never heard the use of 'cap' to mean canopy.