Air Bags on my truck - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
I have airlift bags on my 2003 Tacoma and my 2014 F1-50. I like them a lot as you have a lot of flexibility on getting your rig level, no matter the load. They are also easy to install yourself.

thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #12

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Installed a set of airbags on my Ram 1500, easy install, about 2 hours total. Routed the air lines to rear. You keep from 5-30 psi, depending on load. I have coil springs and these slip inside. With 15 psi the truck does not squat while hooked up and remains level. Air Lift 60818 Air Helper Springs Dodge Ram 1500 2009-2016
I installed the Airlift air bags on both my 2011 and 2014 Ram 1500.
I run about 18 lbs in the air bags when towing. Their relatively inexpensive and work well , IMHO They really improve the towing quality of the truck plus you can lower the air pressure when not towing and get the soft ride back.
I have riden in trucks with leaf Springs where helper Springs were added , great when fully loaded but left something to be desired when running empty.

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
There is a lot to be said for "simple". Short air lines, 2 Shraeder valves, stuff a couple of inexpensive bags into the coils, and carry plenty of weight. It's all you need for the towing most of us do.
The fully automatic systems are basically invisible, doing the job hands free, but have much more plumbing, electro-mechanical pneumatic valves, pressure switched compressor, computer, 4 ride height sensors, lots of wires and connectors to maintain. A friend of mine has a BMW x5 with air ride height control. It was problem prone. He was quoted $2500.00 to replace the right front air bag strut from BMW. He got tired of the problems and removed the system completely. The fully automatic system in my Jeep Wrangler has been pretty reliable, but has needed 4 ride height sensors, and main poppet valve rebuild over the last 8 years. You also need to drain condensate from the air tank about once a month. The Firestone bags on my Jeep are the springs. So the system is critical. No air no ride.
On my new tug I installed Air-Lift bags inside the coils and wanted to be able to control ride height from the dash. It sounds simple, but has a lot of plumbing. I mounted a small compressor under the pickup bed that is controlled by a manual and pressure activated switch. It feeds a tank which has a pressure line feeding the fill valves on the dash, which feed the individual bags. I had to chase leaks for a few weeks, but now have a tight system. Whether on not this system is worth the trouble or not is a good question. Simple is good...
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think Russ has explained the complexity issue well.
Heavy trucks and large buses generally have full air suspension systems, but it is worthwhile for them, they keep complexity down with fixed-height control valves, and they have an air compressor anyway for the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
A friend of mine has a BMW x5 with air ride height control. It was problem prone. He was quoted $2500.00 to replace the right front air bag strut from BMW. He got tired of the problems and removed the system completely.
Kits to replace air springs with coil springs are readily available for some vehicles - while most work fine, clearly a significant number of people have issues.

On the other hand, BMW considers buyers of their vehicles to be captive and deep-pocketed sources of parts and service income... I'm sure the dealership was looking forward to this job and would be disappointed if they never failed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

On the other hand, BMW considers buyers of their vehicles to be captive and deep-pocketed sources of parts and service income... I'm sure the dealership was looking forward to this job and would be disappointed if they never failed.
Well said, and sad but true for the BMW customer!
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Installed a set of airbags on my Ram 1500, easy install, about 2 hours total. Routed the air lines to rear. You keep from 5-30 psi, depending on load. I have coil springs and these slip inside. With 15 psi the truck does not squat while hooked up and remains level. Air Lift 60818 Air Helper Springs Dodge Ram 1500 2009-2016
liked your idea as well as all the other posts about this simple upgrade...
made an appointment with a local shop to install the Air Lift 1000 (same as yours) this week....just hope they do it well.

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote