All-Electric F-150 Prototype: Tows 1M+ Pounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
All-Electric F-150 Prototype: Tows 1M+ Pounds

It's coming and with a very popular tow vehicle.
I'd imagine that an Escape trailer will be no problem after watching this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bXFHgoon7lg

Haven't seen when this will hit the market, but from where they're at probably not too distant.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'd imagine that an Escape trailer will be no problem after watching this video.

Haven't seen when this will hit the market, but from where they're at probably not too distant.

And now charging stations in BC parks.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tric-1.5055539
Old 07-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

Walmart is rolling them out too.
https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...ther-expansion
Old 07-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I love seeing work done in the direction of alternate fuel sources for use in all sorts of ways we could use it, even for driving.

What still concerns me a lot, is firstly that it takes so much time to recharge which can be quite a pain on the road. Hopefully this improves. The second concern is where is the electricity coming from for all these stations? Most like from dammed river power plants, nuclear power, or fossil fuel generators, all of which in my mind have a huge negative effect on our environmental status as a planet.

Alternate fuels are a good answer and are building, but not at near a fast enough rate. I am not big on wind turbine units but do like solar. There are lots of other methods from tidal power, biofuels, etc. I imagine we will see more improvement in these alternate fuels, and I hope they happen rather fast, as that is needed before we can use more electric power without our existing generating ways.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I pretty much agree Jim. I would really like an all electric F150 vs my 2.7L EcoBoost, provided it had acceptable range and a relatively quick charging time. The range is a tall order indeed, since I can go almost 900 miles on a single tank of fuel with my 36 gallon tank.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Charge on the go

The future is an active highway using inductive charging. Setup at as toll system, inductive coils are installed in the highway surface, your vehicle drives at highway speed while charging and it is charged to your account.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/02...oon-in-sweden/
Old 07-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Wind Turbines are making huge gains in numbers in the Midwest and west in the USA. They have their detractors for sure but with the foothold they have now and the attractiveness of the revenue they generate for the property owners I don’t see them slowing down anytime soon. I’ve seen some pretty impressive solar arrays too but the footprint in farm areas looks to be greater than that of the wind turbines. I’ve seen a number of Tesla charging stations adjacent to “fast food” Restaurants. Must be a little gain to be made while waiting for a sandwich and consuming it and checking in with the office.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
The future is an active highway using inductive charging. Setup at as toll system, inductive coils are installed in the highway surface, your vehicle drives at highway speed while charging and it is charged to your account.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/02...oon-in-sweden/

Would have a side benefit of having a snow- and ice-free highway. In other words, it seems to me that inductive charging would produce a lot of waste heat and would be inefficient. I'm just guessing, though, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Would have a side benefit of having a snow- and ice-free highway. In other words, it seems to me that inductive charging would produce a lot of waste heat and would be inefficient. I'm just guessing, though, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Ah, but you're not wrong!

There is actually a system in development which has a charging rail embedded in the road surface, for an upside-down version of electric train overhead wires... but much more complex and problematic. That's being developed because inductive charging from the road has huge issues.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
How long before someone tries to combine Walmart RV parking with Walmart RV charging, and sets up for the night at a charger? That will be an extreme test of both Walmart camping and EV charging station etiquette.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:

The rail car towing thing is just a silly stunt, but there will be a battery-electric F-150... some day. At this point, it wouldn't be very useful for those of us who want to tow a significant distance in a day, and do not determine our routes based on Level 3 charger locations.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The rest stops along the Ohio turnpike have overnight electric hookups for campers, add a charger for your electric truck and you will be good to go in am.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The rail car towing thing is just a silly stunt, but there will be a battery-electric F-150... some day. At this point, it wouldn't be very useful for those of us who want to tow a significant distance in a day, and do not determine our routes based on Level 3 charger locations.
I think the range argument is going to be a dead horse when these EVPickups hit the market. The Rivian R1T is supposed to hit the market 1st and the specs are very impressive. Range is being forecast in excess of 400 mi for the 180kw model, which most of us don't exceed daily. This is an impressive truck https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...k-photos-info/

I don't see charging times exceeding 20-30 min initially and that is hardly time to get your groceries.

I'm sure Ford will make sure they exceed Rivian and Tesla's specs when they release.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
I think the range argument is going to be a dead horse when these EVPickups hit the market.
Perhaps, but in part because it will be years before that F-150 EV will actually appear.

Quote:
The Rivian R1T is supposed to hit the market 1st and the specs are very impressive. Range is being forecast in excess of 400 mi which most of us don't exceed daily.
That's when not towing; it will be much shorter when towing. Pickups with large engines often see only a moderate increase in fuel consumption when towing a small trailer, because the extra load takes more energy but it also shifts the engine into a more efficient operating range... but in an EV, it will just be more energy requirement at similar efficiency. As a rough guess, divide published range by two for actual towing range.

Quote:
I don't see charging times exceeding 20-30 min initially and that is hardly time to get your groceries. ;
That's Level 3 (Fast DC) charging, and even then it's at a rate which most Level 3 chargers can't provide. I don't expect to see these in a useful number of locations for a long time.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'll be surprised to see electric vehicles as viable tow vehicles for a cross-country trip, ever, due to their limited range and long recharge time. If they do approach practicality, it will be so far in the future that I'll be a (more) doddering old guy who has already doddered into the city to live, where electric cars will be more practical in general.

By then, of course, they should have those robot cars where you can be a passenger and tell it where to go:

Car: "Where do you want to go?"
Me: "Eh, what?"
Car (thinking): "Well, bless his heart."
It is the South, after all.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
When petrol stations become electricity stations, I wonder if you’ll be required to have a Station Attendant physically plug your car in when passing through Oregon.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
When petrol stations become electricity stations, I wonder if you’ll be required to have a Station Attendant physically plug your car in when passing through Oregon.
As an Oregonian, I hope so. Whatever it may be, Oregonians will decide.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
That would be comparable to requiring washroom attendants to hand out towels in public washrooms as a make-work program.

The alleged reason for banning self-service in fuel stations is safety. EV charging stations are designed to be safely operated by untrained idiots; the power doesn't turn on until the plug is properly inserted and the vehicle and station communicate to confirm compatibility; yank it out while charging and it turns off.

I've never heard of an attendant-only EV charging station, and I'm sure the entire industry worldwide would laugh at the suggestion. There are "concierge" services at some, where an attendant directs traffic and boots out people who are taking too long.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I love seeing work done in the direction of alternate fuel sources for use in all sorts of ways we could use it, even for driving.

What still concerns me a lot, is firstly that it takes so much time to recharge which can be quite a pain on the road. Hopefully this improves. The second concern is where is the electricity coming from for all these stations? Most like from dammed river power plants, nuclear power, or fossil fuel generators, all of which in my mind have a huge negative effect on our environmental status as a planet.
Rather than using roads for inductive charging, use them to generate solar power! I remember seeing a prototype in Europe somewhere that had a really tough glass road surface that had better traction properties than concrete with solar panels underneath. Use the solar generated by the road to power the charging stations.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I remember seeing meeting on solar collecting roads a while ago, could be a good idea.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote