Andersen Hitch issue - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I'm sure Parker will chime in here but he was told by Anderson to put some grease on the ball because of excessive wear on the back of the ball caused by the hitch pushing on the back of the ball with so much tension. He has a lot of miles on his (guessing around 12000) and has already replaced the brake cone and bushings.

Mine has also started showing wear on the back of the ball (about 7000) miles and I have also started adding a dab of grease where the hitch contacts the back of the ball. I am a little concern about wear on the hitch over the the next years.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I know of at least one other case where folks were experiencing excess noise and Andersen suggested a bit of grease on the ball. We were getting a bit of creaking noise, so we to have used a dab of lithium grease on the hitch ball. It made things a bit quieter, and we haven't noticed any difference in the towing. When I put the trailer in storage last week, I noticed that there was a bit of abrasion on the chain links near the trailer end of the chains -- where they go into the black box at the bottom of the brackets. It isn't really wear, just an erosion of whatever covers the chains and a small bit of rust. So maybe some grease there would help too.

On the way to Osoyoos, we goofed and put the washer to the front of the elastomer spring, rather than between the nut and the spring. As a result, we arrived at Osoyoos, with the nut embedded half way into the elastomer. Bill, of Bill and Earline, figured out how to get the nut out of the elastomer by using a couple of big wrenches to move the elastomer down the bolt. Thanks to Bill for demonstrating the power of the inclined plane and a large lever. Escape sold me a new elastomer and delivered it to me at the rally. But in my initial panic, I had also contacted Andersen to see if they could get us a part. After the rally I got an email from their customer service dept and they shipped me a new elastomer at no charge because "The parts have a lifetime guarantee. Given that the damage occurred through our negligence, I was very impressed by Andersen's willingness to stand behind their product.

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And, greasing the ball CAN have an affect on their anti-sway properties by allowing free movement of the receiver over the ball, rather than the ball partially turning along with it.
Grease on the ball will not affect the anti-sway effectiveness of the friction bushing. The anti-sway resistance is created from the weight of the hitch, and the the fact the metal bracket the chains connect to does not allow the ball to rotate with the trailer, only with a turning action between the trailer and tow vehicle.

The only movement seen on the ball regardless of greasing, would be a bit bit of tipping/lifting as the shocks do their thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Grease on the ball will not affect the anti-sway effectiveness of the friction bushing. The anti-sway resistance is created from the weight of the hitch, and the the fact the metal bracket the chains connect to does not allow the ball to rotate with the trailer, only with a turning action between the trailer and tow vehicle.

The only movement seen on the ball regardless of greasing, would be a bit bit of tipping/lifting as the shocks do their thing.
Ah, I see. Since the triangle plate is connected to the ball via the bottom pin, the ball will turn along with the trailer regardless.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Ah, I see. Since the triangle plate is connected to the ball via the bottom pin, the ball will turn along with the trailer regardless.
I knew there was a simpler way to say what I did.

My mind is still in holiday mode.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018 on order
All,

This was a very good thread. Very helpful and informative for us non-mechanical types.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #17

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
andersen hitch

When I talked to Anderson about the red material, I also mentioned the wear marks on the ball and they said to use the grease.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
And, greasing the ball CAN have an affect on their anti-sway properties by allowing free movement of the receiver over the ball, rather than the ball partially turning along with it.
I'm not so sure about that. The triangular plate under the hitch ought to transmit torque better than friction on the ball. If mine squealed, I'd probably grease it.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The only issue I see in lubricating the ball is the possibility of some grease seeping down and getting on the brake material, thereby affecting it's ability to dampen sway.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
Anderson hitch

Trip home last Wed., 110 degrees for about 5 hours with a lot of white lithium grease on the ball and it was all still there when I had to wipe it off at home.
Jack

azjack is offline   Reply With Quote