Andersen Hitch issue - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Seems that I need to write Anderson...

I'm very happy with the Anderson hitch. I was concerned about using a V6 Tacoma to pull an Escape 19 through Colorado; but it works wonderfully with the Anderson. My truck never looks or feels overloaded, I have no sway issues, at all, and the trailer tows better than my T@B ever did.

However, I do get a very loud "groan" when turning at low speeds (campgrounds and gas stations). I can live with it; but I'd rather not.

With 6k miles on it since March, I'm seeing minimal wear. Mostly, I've dinged up the polished surface.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #82

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I make groaning noises when I am twisted and turning in tight quarters, but I have no plans to make a doctor's appointment.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I make groaning noises when I am twisted and turning in tight quarters, but I have no plans to make a doctor's appointment.
Do the noises change when it's raining? (They always did for my grandpa; they're starting to with me, now).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
We emailed Andersen this morning, let them know of the creaking and that our hitch was 6 months old. We got a reply within a minute and a new ball and sleeve assembly is in the mail. We can fit it ourselves as it just requires the bolts removed from the old assembly and the ball and sleeve assemble replaced.
TheLonePine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:11 PM   #85

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Regarding: the Pro Series weight distribution hitch
Has anyone had any problems, (other than being heavy 77 pound shipping weight) with worn areas, or unusually loud noises, or had to call the manufacturer for a speedy replacement part(s) or had to re-set...anything since they have been using the Pro Series WDH.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Has anyone had any problems, (other than being heavy 77 pound shipping weight) with worn areas, or unusually loud noises, or had to call the manufacturer for a speedy replacement part(s) or had to re-set...anything since they have been using the Pro Series WDH.
The size of the stinger is slightly smaller than the receiver in my Jeep, so it does occasionally rattle or bump. I had a WDH from another maker before and it fit exactly so I am not too pleased with the loose fit. I can see some paint knocked off the stinger but I don't see wear. I will be adjusting mine next week. At the factory, he installed it so that the ball is 21" high, whereas my 19 trailer has a ball height of 19". I will be dropping the ball to 20" so that the TV only settles about an inch back to level.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pro series hitch

In a word , No
Lube the ball, spray the torsion bars with WD once in a while. Towing an Escape 19 with 375 tongue weight. Towing with a V6 Highlander, hitch is a Curt. Hanging four loose links to tow level under tension. Very satisfied, makes a little noise when it gets dry, time to WD again.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
When we had our 17 we had the regular WDH -- The pro series. We had a lot of noise out of the hitch, some creaking, and yes, there were a few worn areas where the trunion bars rubbed against the hitch. It was much more quiet after we applied some lithium grease to the ball and the places where the bars passed through the hitch. We also managed to drop a trunion bar on a narrow road on PEI where we had to back up with a sharp turn so that we could get turned around.

Our Andersen is a bit more quiet than the old hitch, and I believe I could make a tight turn while backing and not drop the bar on the road. for a long time I was always confused about where to store the bars while camping. Then I read a little hint that said to use some ladder hooks. That made things much neater.

So while I prefer the Andersen, it is just that -- a preference. I would probably be happy with the pro-series WDH as well.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #89

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i love the ladder hooks keeps everything neat. i have dropped a bar while backing in a tight area a couple of times.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Nope - just lube the ball, and occasionally use some dry lube where the bars pass thru the hitch. I never hear any noises, nor have I ever needed to unhook it to back up or anything.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 - 21'
We bought our trailer with the Andersen hitch in early June. On the way home I pressure washed everything, including the hitch assembly. After washing, it immediately began to make that horrible noise that other’s refer to. We put up with the noise for a month or so, after which I contacted Andersen and left a message. They got back to me the next day. They told me how to try and rectify it the noise, and asked me to send pictures if there were scratches inside of the cone. There were scratches, and after I sent the photos, they sent me two cones. They replied within hours of having sent each of my messages, and they were always very polite and very considerate. Having said that, I was polite and considerate as well. I have replaced the cone, but I cannot get it to seat fully, so I cannot re-install the spring clip. But, their video states that it will “seat” once you use it the trailer (as long as you don't use it as a regular ball hitch). Unfortunately, we have not been out since I replaced the cone, so I don’t know if it will go back together. Anyway, I have never had another type of anti-sway so I have nothing to compare to. But I thought their service was great, and I think their leveller system is even better (that, I do have experience with....)
paulschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #92

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulschram View Post
We bought our trailer with the Andersen hitch in early June. On the way home I pressure washed everything, including the hitch assembly. After washing, it immediately began to make that horrible noise that other’s refer to. We put up with the noise for a month or so, after which I contacted Andersen and left a message. They got back to me the next day. They told me how to try and rectify it the noise, and asked me to send pictures if there were scratches inside of the cone. There were scratches, and after I sent the photos, they sent me two cones. They replied within hours of having sent each of my messages, and they were always very polite and very considerate. Having said that, I was polite and considerate as well. I have replaced the cone, but I cannot get it to seat fully, so I cannot re-install the spring clip. But, their video states that it will “seat” once you use it the trailer (as long as you don't use it as a regular ball hitch). Unfortunately, we have not been out since I replaced the cone, so I don’t know if it will go back together. Anyway, I have never had another type of anti-sway so I have nothing to compare to. But I thought their service was great, and I think their leveller system is even better (that, I do have experience with....)
Here's a link for replacing the cone and starting at about 6:00 your problem is addressed.

2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:55 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes i love the ladder hooks keeps everything neat. i have dropped a bar while backing in a tight area a couple of times.
Ok, I'll bite...
What are you doing with the ladder hooks?
Old 08-22-2015, 04:25 AM   #94

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Hang the bars from them when not hooked up they hold them neatly perfect fit.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #95

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
There are so many things that are described as a ladder hook I think you need to post an image of what is used to hang the WDH when not in use. I have used a bunge cord with pretty good success.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
There are so many things that are described as a ladder hook I think you need to post an image of what is used to hang the WDH when not in use. I have used a bunge cord with pretty good success.
I would paste a nice link, but every time I hit the link button above the browser closes (using Safari on my iPad). Here's some the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lehigh-SHR26-2.../dp/B000LNIBGG

I guess they are called 'Rafter Hangers' I got the notion while leafing through a Woodall's book one rainy evening. Hang them from the frame at the front of the trailer and then hang the trunion bars from them.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I would paste a nice link, but every time I hit the link button above the browser closes (using Safari on my iPad). Here's some the link:

Amazon.com: Lehigh SHR26-25 Rafter Hanger, Grey, Large: Home Improvement

I guess they are called 'Rafter Hangers' I got the notion while leafing through a Woodall's book one rainy evening. Hang them from the frame at the front of the trailer and then hang the trunion bars from them.

I take it you need four? You store them away while on the road?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #98

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I would paste a nice link, but every time I hit the link button above the browser closes (using Safari on my iPad)....
I thought that I was the only one with this issue. It has been driving me crazy of late and has forced me to use my other computers for posting rather than the iPad. Dont think it is related to the forum software but is hard to tell for sure, probably a bug in safari which never used to be there.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #99

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Those must be really special bars.
Attached Thumbnails
WDH bars.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I take it you need four? You store them away while on the road?
Only two needed. When camping store the bars there as opposed to laying them on the ground or sticking them in the back of the tow vehicle. Two bars fit on one set of hooks