Andersen Hitch Refurbishment - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I also believe the additional wear and shifting of material is reduced with the introduction of the snap ring. This is particularly true if one lifts on the ball to apply the tension to the chains. This process will lift the ball out of the friction material.
I'll have to check that. With the yoke attached, which it is when I lift the ball to work with the chains, I've never noticed the ball lifting out of the aluminum housing. Of course it could only go a short distance because of the yoke attached at the bottom. Until this last episode when the friction material started working its way up, the ball was actually sinking lower and lower into the material (which stayed flush with the top of the housing the whole time). I assumed they went to the snap ring so they could do away with the collar that I have to install in place of the yoke when using the hitch in a non-wdh application. I'll watch a little more closely next time we hook up.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes, some of the early models had the ring, now replaced with a snap ring.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by batcat View Post
Anyone know the brand of the standard wdh that ETI installs?
Pro Series.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It would make sense to have the snap ring to keep the ball shaft from moving when the ball is pulled up, and to provide strong retention of the ball shaft, because the applicable standards (VESC V-5 and SAE J684) require that the hitch system be able to withstand an upward force of (as I recall) half the rated trailer weight capacity (which is half of 10,000 lbs in this case!)

I don't think the designers ever expected the ball shaft to be repeatedly pulled out and replaced in use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
... a new "spring" (3.00 inches long) and an old one (2.90 inches long)...
As a bonus, the extra length means - assuming that the outside and inside diameters are the same as the original - that the spring rate is slightly lower. Since our trailers are relatively light, the one-size-fits-all Andersen No-Sway is almost certainly stiffer than ideal for them.

These urethane springs are readily available, but it is a good thing that Andersen WD owners don't have to buy the springs themselves.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #16

Here's a link to Andersen's site showing the cone replacement process, including the snap ring. FAQ They state that the snap ring was only intended to retain the ball when towing without the rest of the WDH assembly (the yoke in particular). While I replaced the cone, they state that it's often sufficient to simply re-seat it. For a long trip without spares, that's good to know. The original is not badly worn and will go along in my tool kit in case I need a spare.

On the urethane springs, I was beginning to notice that I wasn't quite getting the trailer level at the original seven threads showing behind the nut as set up by ETI, and I was running out of socket depth to go another turn. I considered adding a washer behind each nut, but Andersen's quick response with new springs made that unnecessary.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Parker,

Thank you for the very helpful and informative update on the Andersen.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #18

You're welcome!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Here's a link to Andersen's site showing the cone replacement process, including the snap ring. FAQ They state that the snap ring was only intended to retain the ball when towing without the rest of the WDH assembly (the yoke in particular). While I replaced the cone, they state that it's often sufficient to simply re-seat it. For a long trip without spares, that's good to know. The original is not badly worn and will go along in my tool kit in case I need a spare.

On the urethane springs, I was beginning to notice that I wasn't quite getting the trailer level at the original seven threads showing behind the nut as set up by ETI, and I was running out of socket depth to go another turn. I considered adding a washer behind each nut, but Andersen's quick response with new springs made that unnecessary.
I've heard they offer the urethane material (springs) in different densities. Do you know if that's true?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #20

I don't know. I would expect that to be load-dependent. The ones supplied with the unit were fine, but I think they got a little tired. Stiffer ones would probably do the weight transfer function with fewer turns of the nuts, but would also result in a stiffer ride. I trust their choice of materials for the load.