Andersen Hitch Refurbishment - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #61

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Seems like all this should be in a new thread somewhere, instead of under the OP's Andersen hitch topic.....but now that the thread is thoroughly hijacked, do you find it necessary to use a sway control bar with the Pro Series hitch? I really like not having to mess with one of those on the Andersen.
See how easy it is to change the topic?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I know. We have the second Andersen that ETI ever installed. I asked if the Pro Series users are adding external sway control to it.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I sent photos of the chain wear to Andersen in February. They said it was normal wear and to be expected. My brackets aren't perfectly aligned, but they are pretty close. I suggested that they provide a different lower bracket with the holes for the chain 1/2 inch closer to the ball. But Andersen said they had tried that and it didn't work as well.
Sometimes you just have to shake your head...
The chain bracket tubes are parallel to the frame and just outboard of it, which means the always point at a place just ahead of the ball; however, the chains run to the corners of the triangular plate, which are always significantly outboard from that. The chains will always wear on the chain tube opening, until the bracket design is corrected to skew them out a bit. It's an angle issue, rather than a position issue, and it's understandable because it's certainly cheaper and easier to build this way - they place a square tube against a flat plate and weld.

Of course this could be a design "feature" providing "friction-based damping" of chain movement... which should not be needed because the polyurethane spring is self-damping.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I know. We have the second Andersen that ETI ever installed. I asked if the Pro Series users are adding external sway control to it.
We have had ours for five years and have not added sway control, however, since they now offer it, I would get it if buying now.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Does it have a pro series sticker on it Donna? If so then yes, that one.
"Pro Series" is one of the Cequent brand names; there are hundreds of Pro Series products and two main types of Pro Series WD systems in several models. So no, it may not be the same one.

Quote:
Go to the Escape web site and click Equalizer in the options. There's a picture of the one being discussed. It's the same one that gets discussed and referred to every time there's a comparison to the Anderson hitch.
That photo shows a round-bar WD; however,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
ETI went from the round bars to this for Pro Series:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...ies/49585.html
The current offering is a trunnion-type WD. So no, if you go to the web site the photo will not show the current model (unfortunately not uncommon for the Escape website), and having a Pro Series sticker doesn't mean it's the right one.

But I agree - this has nothing to do with refurbishing an Andersen No-Sway WD hitch.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Nope. I've had to make a couple evasive maneuvers and been passed by semis, driven in cross winds, without an issue.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #67

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Nope. I've had to make a couple evasive maneuvers and been passed by semis, driven in cross winds, without an issue.
Okay. Good to know. We're on our second (red) cone and elastomers. I think I'd at least consider the Pro Series the next time we need to replace parts. Our Andersen is old enough that it doesn't even have the snap ring. They provided a heavy metal ring that replaces the yoke for towing a trailer not set up for their hitch. I can't complain, though. We have almost 20K miles on it, relatively trouble-free.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm not endorsing the Pro Series, I just think it and probably other WDH do what I need for a lot less money than some of the more complex devices.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm not endorsing the Pro Series, I just think it and probably other WDH do what I need for a lot less money than some of the more complex devices.
I don't think the Andersen is more complex Glenn. In fact, the design is quite simple. It's just more money.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Pro Series" is one of the Cequent brand names; there are hundreds of Pro Series products and two main types of Pro Series WD systems in several models. So no, it may not be the same one.

That photo shows a round-bar WD; however,

The current offering is a trunnion-type WD. So no, if you go to the web site the photo will not show the current model (unfortunately not uncommon for the Escape website), and having a Pro Series sticker doesn't mean it's the right one.

But I agree - this has nothing to do with refurbishing an Andersen No-Sway WD hitch.
This may all be true but the hitch I pointed out is the hitch CPAHarley referred to when he wondered which hitch was being discussed.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #71

Quote:
This may all be true but the hitch I pointed out is the hitch CPAHarley referred to when he wondered which hitch was being discussed.
the problem is this what Jim asked...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Which model Pro Series is being discussed and used here?
... and there are at least two different WD hitches - both supplied by Escape as the "equalizer hitch" option and branded Pro Series - which are used by Escape owners and discussed in this forum. The newer one (not the one in the photo) is the one that a new buyer would be talking about getting.

While the load-distribution principle is the same for both, they differ in details of use, due to the way the bars are held in the head. Probably no big deal, but as baglo mentioned there are lots of brands of conventional WD systems and they all work roughly the same way, so if someone is asking specifically about Pro Series it would make sense to get the right one.

Still nothing to do with refurbishing an Andersen hitch.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't think the Andersen is more complex Glenn. In fact, the design is quite simple. It's just more money.
I was going to say that too. It is actually just as simple as the old school style. I just think they are going through growing pains with it.

I actually applaud the company for taking the initiative to think outside the box. Just because an old idea worked well, does not mean there is not better solutions out there.

Other than the cone wearing on my Anderson WDH, and not yet near needing replacing, I never had any other issue with it, and likely the ease on install.

Just like their Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch. I am loving the lightweight, easy to remove/reinstall capabilities of that thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
the problem is this what Jim asked...

... and there are at least two different WD hitches - both supplied by Escape as the "equalizer hitch" option and branded Pro Series - which are used by Escape owners and discussed in this forum. The newer one (not the one in the photo) is the one that a new buyer would be talking about getting.

While the load-distribution principle is the same for both, they differ in details of use, due to the way the bars are held in the head. Probably no big deal, but as baglo mentioned there are lots of brands of conventional WD systems and they all work roughly the same way, so if someone is asking specifically about Pro Series it would make sense to get the right one.

Still nothing to do with refurbishing an Andersen hitch.
When I read the thread I see Ice-breaker, baglo, and myself discussing the same hitch that Escape once sold. So answering cpaharlie's question is what I did. Keep up!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Well I'm glad that is cleared up, thanks for the information....
Old 07-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well I'm glad that is cleared up, thanks for the information....
All in a day's work! (it wasn't easy).
Old 07-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #76

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I sent photos of the chain wear to Andersen in February. They said it was normal wear and to be expected. My brackets aren't perfectly aligned, but they are pretty close. I suggested that they provide a different lower bracket with the holes for the chain 1/2 inch closer to the ball. But Andersen said they had tried that and it didn't work as well.
This thread is about Andersen Hitches not Pro Hitches which seem to be flawless. But for those of us who have the Andersen we need to be aware of what is happening with our hitches as we rack up the mileage in towing. The cone seems to have been addressed by Andersen in changing the material to a more dense urethane. Having said that they need to clear up the problem of seating the cone ( I posted about the need to polish the inside of the hitch to a super high gloss). The chain wear is also a concern. I also mailed the pics to Andersen who said they would replace the chains on warranty once it was felt that failure due to wear would be imminent. For me personally this is not yet the case and I am not aware of anyone writing to say the chain has actually worn through. Another post mentions the wear on the ball. It says the Atwood that Escape uses is not on the Andersen caution list. Yet the post discusses excessive wear and something about drilling out a pin. Not sure what that is really involved here ....but this is in essence what this this thread is about.... giving Andersen users the experiences of other Andersen users. I want to learn what problems have been experienced and what solutions undertaken. And that ball wear issue is something that would definitely have the potential to be a safety issue. This hitch is different, and there are some design issues no doubt....with the sharing of information by Andersen users we can make our decisions for fixes from an informed position.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #77

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
I haven't caught up with all that's been discussed here. While we are at the rally our Andersen hitch developed this most horrible squeal. Since we are back home I've been on the phone with them 3 times already, sending them pictures and contacts, etc. Still haven't heard back from them.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 AM   #78

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Keep trying...I perhaps was lucky in that I got thru the first time I phoned them just the other day, but in the past when I emailed I had also gotten immediate responses. But a recent reply on the email indicated they preferred a phone call. They seem very interested in working with their customers. I called them about installing the new black cone replacing the red one and my inability to get the pin to seat deep enough to allow the snap ring to be popped back on. Will be watching for your/others posts as to what the solution is for the "squeal" as I haven't experienced that one yet.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #79

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
I am trying again this week. I talked to them and had described the problem. I was told it's the cone material that need replacing. They have my contact info as well. I'd never got a confirmation from them, though. Our cone was black when we bought it last year, not red. Shouldn't it be the new material already? It's been squealing mildly for couple of months before the Rally but after that it really screamed.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Andersen Hitch Refurbishment

We love our Andersen hitch. It damps the bouncing from bumps in the road, provides anti sway control and is much lighter than the Reese hitch plus anti sway we had on our Nash. I don't believe anyone can say for sure they won't have sway problems unless they can see someone with the exact TV and trailer, running on the same tires (TV tire sidewalls influence sway), and loaded the same.

According to Dennis at ETI, Andersen has or had an issue with the friction sleeve that began when they changed it about a year ago. If they resolve this issue I would recommend this hitch. It is so much better an experience than with the big hitch we had. Our unit is from before the sleeve change.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote