Andersen Ultimate or Reese Goose Box - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
KMG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 23
Andersen Ultimate or Reese Goose Box

I'm trying to decide which system I'll buy. I'm installing a B&W drop ball gooseneck hitch and will either buy an Andersen Ultimate gooseneck hitch or a Reese Goose Box 5th wheel replacement pin box. Reese cost about $250 more than the Andersen.
Thoughts and advise appreciated. Thanks, Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 616P-qhUeQL._SX425_.jpg (20.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 94622_c.jpg (34.5 KB, 5 views)
__________________

KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 10,854
Although it isn't obvious in the illustration shown, the Reese Goose Box is intended to reach down to a ball mounted at the truck floor level, rather than to an ball elevated at normal pin height such as the Andersen Ultimate, so it is a lot longer (vertically). This gives the horizontal forces of pulling, braking, and turning a longer lever arm to twist the trailer's frame. This has caused problems with some larger fifth-wheel trailers, and is prohibited by Escape (due to structural concerns) in the Owner's Manual on page 10, under Chapter 3: Towing and Leveling:
Quote:
Do not add any type of adapter to the fifth wheel king pin, such as a goose neck adapter. Lengthening the fifth wheel hitch by means of an adapter will transfer greater loads to the chassis, possibly more than the chassis is designed for, and could result in structural damage. Damage that is a direct result of the use of such an adapter is not covered by Escape Trailer Industries warranty.
It's unfortunate, because the Goose Box is a tidy solution which is air-cushioned. On the other hand, it's tough to carry stuff in the back of the pickup box when the Goose Box has to pass through that area near box floor level while hitching and unhitching.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
KMG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 23
I didn't consider the extra length creating leverage or the additional space required for the tongue rotating in the box area. Thanks!
KMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Trailer: 2018 Casita
Posts: 66
I'm also looking at the Escape 5.0 and we have just purchased a new 2019 Ram to handle the trailer, the Ram is a crewcab with the 5'7" bed. I would also like to get the recessed goose neck pin installed in the bed of the new truck where I can take the hitch in and out when needed. Only problem I see is the goose neck recessed pin is usually installed over the rear axle, thus putting the hitch too far forward for our short bed to handle the 5th wheel 5.0 Escape clearance needs. This Anderson and this type of install would not work for me as it is not the adjustable type to move back as needed and I would have to mount one directly to the bed, so the Escape 5.0 would clear the cab. I have talked with a hitch dealer that installs these type of hitches daily and they do offer a recessed pin and adjustable hitch that would work, it's going to around $1800. I thought if we go with the Escape 5.0 I would talk with the hitch dealer that Escape uses up there by them, people on the forum say they are great to deal with and know what they are doing.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Trailer: 2018 Casita
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
I didn't consider the extra length creating leverage or the additional space required for the tongue rotating in the box area. Thanks!
There are several post on this, biggest thing is what size (length) bed your truck has, as many talk about measurements, but sometimes they don't mention there bed lengths.
https://weekendrvadventures.com/short-bed-hitch-guide/
trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lanesboro, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I'm also looking at the Escape 5.0 and we have just purchased a new 2019 Ram to handle the trailer, the Ram is a crewcab with the 5'7" bed. I would also like to get the recessed goose neck pin installed in the bed of the new truck where I can take the hitch in and out when needed. Only problem I see is the goose neck recessed pin is usually installed over the rear axle, thus putting the hitch too far forward for our short bed to handle the 5th wheel 5.0 Escape clearance needs. This Anderson and this type of install would not work for me as it is not the adjustable type to move back as needed and I would have to mount one directly to the bed, so the Escape 5.0 would clear the cab. I have talked with a hitch dealer that installs these type of hitches daily and they do offer a recessed pin and adjustable hitch that would work, it's going to around $1800. I thought if we go with the Escape 5.0 I would talk with the hitch dealer that Escape uses up there by them, people on the forum say they are great to deal with and know what they are doing.

trainman
We traveled 150 miles to look at a new style 2016 5.0 pulled with a Ram with 5 1/2' box. He had no problem with the recessed goose neck and his Andersen hitch. I believe if you have a 5 1/2' box they turn the Andersen receiver 180 degrees to provide more clearance (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). We aren't even close with our 6 1/2' box. However, if any of us turn over 90 degrees we'll all hit the cab/windows.

Enjoy,

Perry
__________________
2018 5.0TA
2015 Ford F150, XLT, 3.5 EB, Max Tow Package, 6.5 box
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hilola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tehachapi, California
Trailer: none
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
However, if any of us turn over 90 degrees we'll all hit the cab/windows.

I'm a 5th wheel rookie. Does that apply going forward as well as backward? The reason I ask is that I need to make a greater than 90 degree turn (going forward uphill on gravel) to get out of my driveway (see photo). Backing the trailer into the spot where the white car is less of an angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (266.5 KB, 4 views)
__________________
Greg
Formerly owned a 2007 24' HiLo/ 2003 Tahoe combo. Interested in the 5.0TA
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,632
Actually, the Reese Goosebox hitch is the only one that isn't supposed to cause the frame stresses, Etrailer states this as well on their site. I'm not a 5th Wheel guy, but my friend is using a Reese Goosebox hitch on his Grand Design 5th Wheel and it's approved for a Lippert Frame now. Of course, Lippert's connected with Reese financially, so who knows.
If the manufacturer is saying it voids the warranty as does ETI I wouldn't use it, but they are starting to be used a good bit in the big stick world.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orion, Illinois
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I'm a 5th wheel rookie. Does that apply going forward as well as backward? The reason I ask is that I need to make a greater than 90 degree turn (going forward uphill on gravel) to get out of my driveway (see photo). Backing the trailer into the spot where the white car is less of an angle.
I've experimented turning the steering wheel all the way going forward and still had clearance between the trailer and the truck cab. We have an F150 crew cab with a 5.5' bed and only about 31" clearance between the cab and front of the trailer. Going forward I'm only concerned if pitch differences between the truck and trailer start getting the pinbox close to the siderails of the truck - there is about 6.5" clearance on level ground.
__________________
Tom
Tom and Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I'm a 5th wheel rookie. Does that apply going forward as well as backward? The reason I ask is that I need to make a greater than 90 degree turn (going forward uphill on gravel) to get out of my driveway (see photo). Backing the trailer into the spot where the white car is less of an angle.
90 degrees isn't the angle of the roads at an intersection; it's the angle between the truck and the trailer. When you drive forward around a turn the truck can't turn tight enough to make the truck to trailer angle as sharp as 90 degrees. When you drive around normal 90-degree intersection turns, the angle between truck and trailer never gets as extreme as 90 degrees.

But specifically about forward versus backward...
Regardless of whether the trailer is a fifth-wheel/gooseneck or conventional (hitch at the bumper), the sharpest angle between truck and trailer when going forward is determined by the lengths of the trailer (from axle to hitch) and the turning circle diameter of the truck) - there is rarely an issue with interference with any hitch setup, and Tom confirmed it is not a problem with a typical pickup and an Escape. In contrast, when backing up any trailer can jackknife, so the trailer hits the back of the cab (with a fifth-wheel) or the bumper (with a conventional hitch).

Of course none of this is relevant to the choice of Andersen Ultimate or Reese Goose Box (or conventional fifth-wheel).
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.