Andersen w/d update - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Andersen w/d update

Just obtained a copy of photo for new style Andersen cone with top cover to keep things inlace and weather protection....
Attached Thumbnails
a-andersen%20wdh%20new1.jpg  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just obtained a copy of photo for new style Andersen cone with top cover to keep things inlace and weather protection....
Nice!

Do you know if it works with the old style yolk plate on the bottom. In other words, could one just replace the hitch portion and use it with the existing chains and compression bushings?

I'm asking because I have an Andersen WDH that I took off my 19' when I replaced it with the E2 Fastaway hitch. But the nylon bushing that the ball and shaft sits in is cracked. If anyone wants my old hitch I will bring it to the rally.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

That I do not know, but back to your Andersen, do you know what model your hitch is, I maybe interested if it has the short 4.5" brackets vs the large universal ones.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
That I do not know, but back to your Andersen, do you know what model your hitch is, I maybe interested if it has the short 4.5" brackets vs the large universal ones.
Hi Jim,

It looks like I have the 6" brackets. Here are photos for you to see for yourself. The 1/2" drive socket is included.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4219.jpg   IMG_4220.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

I'll take it off your hands and see if I can stop at the factory and get the replacement bushing and smaller brackets. They are located in Idaho Falls, a little detour on the way home from Osoyoos. Thanks...
Old 04-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
I'll take it off your hands and see if I can stop at the factory and get the replacement bushing and smaller brackets. They are located in Idaho Falls, a little detour on the way home from Osoyoos. Thanks...
Excellent! I'm glad you can make use of it. I won't need it with my 5.0. (All though it will be towed by an Anderson hitch of a different sort. )

Look forward to seeing you at the rally!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #7

Thanks, me too. We have orientation 8:30 on Tuesday and will be driving over to Osoyoos right after pick up in Sumas and returning to BW to check out. BTW, you may want to update your avatar as I'll be looking for a 5.0....
Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
BTW, you may want to update your avatar as I'll be looking for a 5.0....
I will next week once I pick up our 5.0 on April 25th. I want a picture of my white tundra hooked to our white Escape.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
I to am ordering the Andersen A/S hitch for my new trailer but having trouble from a distance and looking at the Andersen hitching and unhitching videos in understanding how to make the trailer secure from theft. So far I think I need a locking pin on the receiver for when it is connected to the truck and something else to lock in the Ball on the trailer. Plus a ball hitch lock for when the trailer is disconnected on a site? Can you please clarify for me. Also I have gone for the manual tongue jack so not sure if should try and change that which may be a problem as build completion is 7th May.
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You should get the electric tongue Jack to help with hitching up the Andersen. ETI did not charge me more for this last minute addition- hopefully they won't for you. If not in your budget get a pre wire done(cheap) for much easier installation later.

Andersen makes a longer shank which is much better than their standard to help with lowering your tailgate or SUV hatch. I would call Andersen to discuss this.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You should get the electric tongue Jack to help with hitching up the Andersen. ETI did not charge me more for this last minute addition- hopefully they won't for you. If not in your budget get a pre wire done(cheap) for much easier installation later.

Andersen makes a longer shank which is much better than their standard to help with lowering your tailgate or SUV hatch. I would call Andersen to discuss this.
OK thanks for the advice. The reason I stayed with the standard jack is that I read somewhere that the power jack impedes the truck tail gate when the trailer is attached.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Excellent! I'm glad you can make use of it. I won't need it with my 5.0. (All though it will be towed by an Anderson hitch of a different sort. )

Look forward to seeing you at the rally!
Arnie If you ever get a convenient opportunity and I mean only when it's convenient, I would like to see a picture of the truck bed with the trailer on the Andersen. I have the short/short bed along with Bakflip tonneau and I have concerns that there may be a space conflict. Next time you hitch up and have camera handy. I have eight weeks from tomorrow so I'm in no big rush. Thanks jn
Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglingMad View Post
I to am ordering the Andersen A/S hitch for my new trailer but having trouble from a distance and looking at the Andersen hitching and unhitching videos in understanding how to make the trailer secure from theft. So far I think I need a locking pin on the receiver for when it is connected to the truck and something else to lock in the Ball on the trailer. Plus a ball hitch lock for when the trailer is disconnected on a site? Can you please clarify for me. Also I have gone for the manual tongue jack so not sure if should try and change that which may be a problem as build completion is 7th May.
Yes, all 3 are needed...actually only two because you can relock your coupler with a locking pin after disconnecting, then another coupler lock would be redundant.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, all 3 are needed...actually only two because you can relock your coupler with a locking pin after disconnecting, then another coupler lock would be redundant.
OK thanks for clarification I was on lock melt down....