Anderson Leveling system for 21' - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #101

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
We assumed that the tandem axle setup of Escape's 5er is the same as on the 21'.
Since the two models use the same tire size - or is it almost the same? - that seems like a reasonable guess. On the other hand, they use completely different suspension so they might be a bit different. The spacing for the 5.0TA is determined by the spring and equalizer lengths, while the spacing for the other tandem models is whatever Reace chose when he designed them (although at least the tire diameter plus a bit of clearance); either one could be be widely spaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
The test will come Friday night when we camp for the first time in our 21'. I'll be really disappointed if our site at the campground is level.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
...The leveler between the tires slipped, wedging itself between the tires...
... Any ideas?
Since this topic is alive again - and I was searching back in it for axle spacing dimensions - I'll throw in an off-the-wall suggestion for this problem:
Since you are using two levelers at a time, and the distance between them should always be the axle spacing, you could run a bar (equal in length to the 30.5" axle spacing) down each side of them, pinned to each leveler with a bolt. The two would then still be free to rotate and both could slip, but for either to slip they would need to slip together, reducing the chances of slippage.

Might be useless, but it wouldn't cost me anything for Tom to try this...
Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #103

The standard spacing for Dexter D35 axles (that's what's under the 5.0TA) depends on the leaf spring length:
21" spring -> 28.75" spacing
24" spring -> 31.00" spacing (very close to 19'/21' Escape spacing)
26" spring -> 33.00" spacing
Brent, your levelers should work with your 21' because they are sized like Tom's; if the 5.0TA uses 24" springs and the tires are all the same (ST205/75R15) then the fit test for jamming will also apply to the 21'.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #104

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Brian, interesting thought concerning the slipping issue. That bar wouldn't be hared to do using the holes in the side of the levelers. It would not only make the levelers less prone to slipping, but it would make the process of removing the levelers safer. Placing them between the tires with the bar connected could be more of a hassle though. Storing them in the front storage box with the bar connected would also be an issue. I'm sure someone can devise an easy way to attach a portable bar to the levelers after they are inserted and removed before storing? .

I did see on the internet that someone cut the bottom corner at an angle on the thick end of the levelers to address the jamming issue when the tires are so close. That may also be a thought.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The standard spacing for Dexter D35 axles (that's what's under the 5.0TA) depends on the leaf spring length:
21" spring -> 28.75" spacing
24" spring -> 31.00" spacing (very close to 19'/21' Escape spacing)
26" spring -> 33.00" spacing
Brent, your levelers should work with your 21' because they are sized like Tom's; if the 5.0TA uses 24" springs and the tires are all the same (ST205/75R15) then the fit test for jamming will also apply to the 21'.
Brian, thanks for doing the math. I'll know by the weekend how well they work, and will report here.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
having a full wood shop that was exactly what I had done
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #107

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Brian, between some mods I'm installing to the trailer today, you've had me thinking about the levelers and that bar. You're awfully good at thinking outside the box. Nice job
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
That bar wouldn't be [hard] to do using the holes in the side of the levelers. It would not only make the levelers less prone to slipping, but it would make the process of removing the levelers safer. Placing them between the tires with the bar connected could be more of a hassle though. Storing them in the front storage box with the bar connected would also be an issue. I'm sure someone can devise an easy way to attach a portable bar to the levelers after they are inserted and removed before storing?
Since the pins through the levelers would only be under shear load, if they run all the way through they can be pins with clips, rather than bolts with nuts - so they would disassemble easily, and could be assembled after placement. The pins could also be protruding studs with just a hole for a clip, rather than threads for a nut) if you want to embed studs in new holes rather than using the large existing holes.

Tags
levelers