Anderson Leveling system for 21' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Amazon has it for those who have free shipping with Prime (or not).
Amazon.com: Hopkins 09215 Level Light: Automotive

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
In the Escape Trailer Industries spirit of customizing products to match customer needs, I wonder if Andersen would produce a version of their levelers modified as Tom has done to suit the Escape 21. (And possibly the 19). ETI is selling a whack of Andersen hitches to Escape buyers, and the levelers could perhaps become part of the package.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great write up. Thanks for sharing what you did to make them work.

I am very interested in doing this too. Does anyone know if the 19 shares the same distance between the axles as the 21'.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I have been using the Ramble levelers on both my 19 and 21, they fit just right without cuts and you only need 2 Ramble RV Levelers, Set of 2 - Intersource D10-171 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I'm in agreement about the Hopkins level and it's mounting pad. It's so flexible that I can move it off level (or on level) with a very lite touch. If it helps out with leveling the trailer, I'll be changing their mounting pad for one that holds it firm.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 21'
Pardon a question from a noob, but why is it necessary to cut the Andersen leveling wedge when used on a 21? If the wedge is too long to sit flat, couldn't you simply place the between-wheel wedge so that it rests against the other tire and then, when trailer is moved, the wedge will drop into place? Even if that's not a good idea, why would it be necessary to cut both wedges (per side)? Wouldn't cutting one, the btw-wheel wedge, suffice?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Is it necessary to use these levelers under both wheels or will one suffice? The times I've had to use our blocks, I only had them supporting one axle. Thanks!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
With the tandem axle you would want both axles supported.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #19

I asked Reace the question about lifting only one axle so I could use a single leveler. He said that I should be lifting, and supporting, both axles while camping. He liked the idea, ease of use and security, of the Anderson levelers, and actually made the suggestion of cutting them to fit. Apparently, lifting only a single axle, or tire, is for servicing or changing the tire on the other.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Pardon a question from a noob, but why is it necessary to cut the Andersen leveling wedge when used on a 21? If the wedge is too long to sit flat, couldn't you simply place the between-wheel wedge so that it rests against the other tire and then, when trailer is moved, the wedge will drop into place? Even if that's not a good idea, why would it be necessary to cut both wedges (per side)? Wouldn't cutting one, the btw-wheel wedge, suffice?
Reace and I tried placing one Anderson leveler between the tires on my 21 and failed. There just isn't enough room, and with their shape, they never sit flat. I checked with the Anderson representative for our area about cutting the levelers. He said that they were designed with that in mind.

At first, I planned on cutting only one, but looking at it I decided to cut both. I wanted both tires to start at the same point on it's leveler and rise at the same rate. I didn't want to start the lift, stop part way up to place the short leveler between the tires, then finish the lift. I also thought it would be easier when coming off the levelers if they were both working in unison. I purchased the levelers to simplify the leveling process and hopefully I've done that. I may be wrong in this thinking, but that's how I did it.

Tags
levelers