Anderson Ultimate Changes - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
So, the difference between the conventional and Andersen is about 60lbs, total savings. I can understand the ease of hitching is with the conventional, but there is also the towing experience, does the Andersen tow better than the conventional over our well kept road system

Old 03-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
FWIW: A Harbor Freight folding engine lift makes removing a conventional 5th wheel hitch a fairly easy task in a shop/garage or on a concrete pad. Set your removed hitch on a dolly and you can store it under a work bench. One man can remove/install a hitch without killing your back.
Eddie

elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
FWIW: A Harbor Freight folding engine lift makes removing a conventional 5th wheel hitch a fairly easy task in a shop/garage or on a concrete pad. Set your removed hitch on a dolly and you can store it under a work bench. One man can remove/install a hitch without killing your back.
Eddie
My garden cart works fine for moving the hitch from the driveway to the shed, it's a bit lower then the open tailgate. The only hassle is moving the hitch from the center of the truck bed to the end of the tailgate, then swinging it onto the cart. Not a big issue at 60, but if I'm still traveling by the time I'm 70, it's gonna be replaced by whatever is lightweight by then.

In my experience ease of hooking up is mostly just a matter of getting enough practice, no matter what kind of hitch you have. Even lining up the bumper pulls get easier with practice.

As far as does the Anderson ride better then a conventional, I'd be hard pressed to think of how the ride could be improved. There's no play in the B&W, no clunking, no bucking, no sway, no nothing. I think if the Anderson tows as good as the B&W you'll be happy. Don't know about the other conventional hitches. Of course some of the good towing ride could come from having a good sized truck.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are only three axes (pitch, roll, yaw) - what's the fourth? Maybe you mean three axes of pivot, plus vertical displacement (due to the spring).

The brilliance of a ball-and-socket hitching system is that it accomodates all three axes of rotation very simply, in contrast to the multiple parts needed in a pin-and-plate fifth-wheel. Commercial truck fifth-wheels don't pivot in roll (side-to-side) so they are simpler, and they take vastly higher loads so a ball wouldn't be practical. I don't see much reason to use the pin-and-plate design for a little RV... other than avoiding those pesky safety chains.
Whoops, I think you missed that I didn't write any of that post except the intro. It is just an example of how far some folks take it.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't quite understand the whole alignment problem. I have had to do it thousands of times with a bumper mount hitch. What makes it tougher with the Anderson hitch? And with the new kingpin coupler, it allows an alignment range of 6", should be just about able to drive a semi through there.

I am only used to fifth wheel hitches on big rigs, but even there we had to check to make certain our height and alignment were close before coupling. Can you clearly see the fifth wheel hitch in a pickup bed?
Jim, I agree, having used both a Reese 5th wheel and a Andersen Ultimate, neither is easier than the other. Both take getting used to, and you need to be properly aligned was well as the correct height for both to make a secure connection.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Jim, I agree, having used both a Reese 5th wheel and a Andersen Ultimate, neither is easier than the other. Both take getting used to, and you need to be properly aligned was well as the correct height for both to make a secure connection.
Let's wait and see what Jim thinks when he starts using his Anderson. He says he has experience with 5th wheel hitches. Maybe he will agree. I just know I hated the Scamp ball and coupler but love the Curt Q16. But I was advised ahead of time to by a jaw type hitch rather than a sliding bar.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Whoops, I think you missed that I didn't write any of that post except the intro. It is just an example of how far some folks take it.
Ah, that explains the degree of enthusiasm and the lines of dashes. So there won't be an answer to the "4-axis" question, but the comments still apply.

The quoted section was apparently from a thread called 5th wheel hitch VS goose neck in Diesel Place: Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums. The original question in that discussion was:
Quote:
I am in the hunting stages for a 5th wheel camper and would like to get some feedback on hitches. While I do not have a goose neck trailer my brother does and would be nice to be able to pull it if the need arises. Should I convet the camper to a goose style or leave it as a 5th wheel? What are the pro and cons of each?
This person specifically wanted a floor-level ball for compatibility, leading to a different set of options and issues than Escape owners considering the Andersen Ultimate. That thread provides good examples of the structural problems with tall pin box extensions (the Andersen is not one of these).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Using quotation marks and making attribution is highly encouraged.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Using quotation marks and making attribution is highly encouraged.

Trying to find the quote button. I see it above and will try [/quote] here [/quote]
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
It's right here, but if you are quoting from some other site, you need to add "quotes" manually and you should state the site and/or author. Providing a link to the full site is also helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 6.31.43 PM.png (43.3 KB, 10 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote