Anderson Ultimate Changes - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Trying to find the quote button. I see it above and will try
Quote:
here
In your post, I removed the first "/" and thus get "here" as a quote.

You can do quotes two ways.

First hit the button, then place the text between the square brackets ]here[.

What I do is to paste the text I want to quote, highlight it, and then press the button.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thanks Jim.

Didn't know that.

Quote:
baglo
Old 03-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The quote button (applied to selected text, or used to insert commands between which you paste the text you want to quote) is certainly the easy way to go. As the post is edited the resulting code is visible, so you can manually tweak it. The key thing to know is that a block of text with a particular formatting (such as being in a quote box) starts with a command in square brackets, and ends with the same command in square brackets, but prefaced by a slash.

I would illustrate this with the Code (# button) feature, but it isn't working (it doesn't suppress code interpretation, which is the purpose ).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Using quotation marks and making attribution is highly encouraged.
I spend some time every day fixing broken code. Typically in information someone is trying to "quote" often find a bracket or two missing. Just part of the job...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Locking latch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm sold....let's see if they also add the locking capability.
Not likely. I asked Andersen about this in an e-mail message on February 25, and I just received a reply; they have been behind since they lost a key employee in an accident. No, they have no real plan to change anything about the latch, as Jason noted in his reply:
Quote:
This is something that we have tossed around for the last 6 months. We’ll look at it again once we have slowed down from the busy season and have time and resources to develop any new ideas that we have. As of right now it is just an idea that we have not done anything with yet.
About web site updates...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As of today, Andersen's Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection web page still shows the original design - both the frame and the coupler opening.
Still no change.
A local RV dealer now has a wide range of Andersen products in stock, including the Ultimate hitch. Their display units do not have the updated design, but within the last few weeks they have had the alignment funnel added.

I also asked about an issue I noticed in that RV store:
Quote:
There was both a coupler and a ball, but without a trailer there was no vertical load on the system. I found that without the ball inserted the latching pin plunged in and out of the coupler smoothly, but with the ball inserted it was difficult, and seemed to hang-up at partial insertion, presumably binding against the ball; this could lead to a false belief that it was fully engaged. I note that the coupler has a black liner - presumably nylon like Andersen's greasless balls - in the top of the socket; I assume that this is a cap to bear the vertical load and reduce friction. When the system is in normal use, does the load of the trailer drive the ball further into the cap, providing more clearance for the pin and eliminating the binding that I noticed?
Jason had a response to this, confirming the cause and assuring that there is no functional issue:
Quote:
On a few of the earlier coupler blocks we had some of the pucks that would slide down inside the coupler and make the space tight on the ball. Once the coupler is installed to the 5th Wheel the weight pushes the puck back up and allows room for easier operation. We have fixed that in our manufacturing process so that is no longer something that you will see.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #46

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Me too. But leaning toward a standard fifth wheel like Reace's uses.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA on order. Tug 2016 Colorado Duramax
Cool Looking at the Andersen also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am selling my F-350 fairly soon, and will be using the F-150 for work. The hitch will have to be put in and taken out after every trip with the 5.0. I am liking the weight and ease of it for that.

For those who are happy with the conventional hitch, and have one working good for you, that is great. After lots of researching I decided on the Anderson, and I bet that will work for me too. I have heard lots, and lots, of good stories about them.
Hey Jim, I am looking at the this hitch also. I guess you have researched a bit. Are there any reasons not to go this way over a conventional 5th wheel hitch? I will have to go to a hitch shop to verify the rail placement to match the Andersen to my Colorado to pull Our ordered 5.0 TA next spring.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockseaker View Post
Hey Jim, I am looking at the this hitch also. I guess you have researched a bit. Are there any reasons not to go this way over a conventional 5th wheel hitch? I will have to go to a hitch shop to verify the rail placement to match the Andersen to my Colorado to pull Our ordered 5.0 TA next spring.
I am loving this hitch. I see absolutely no reason not to use it. It is light, and easy to remove and reinstall. I have never used a conventional fifth wheel hitch in a pickup though, on with a tractor trailer combo.

For my purposes, the gooseneck mount is fantastic. I love having the clear bed. Earlier this week I put a bunch of gravel in the bed for a job. Swept clean after, not even the need for a hose.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am loving this hitch. I see absolutely no reason not to use it. It is light, and easy to remove and reinstall. I have never used a conventional fifth wheel hitch in a pickup though, on with a tractor trailer combo.

For my purposes, the gooseneck mount is fantastic. I love having the clear bed. Earlier this week I put a bunch of gravel in the bed for a job. Swept clean after, not even the need for a hose.
Are you using a rail system? Where did you purchase?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #50

Sorry I see it is a goose mount ball. So it is a clean mount.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockseaker View Post
Sorry I see it is a goose mount ball. So it is a clean mount.
Yes, I just turn the ball over when not in use, and the bed is clear and flat. About a minute to remove the Andersen Ultimate, and less than 2 to put it back on.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I'm planning to use the Anderson Ultimate Rail Mount Fifth Wheel Hitch in my 2010 F 150 SCREW 5.5' bed. It is a steel frame which fits into the slots on any standard rail mount system. I'm thinking about using the Reece rails as they have longer formed steel plates which bolt to the frame vs. smaller L brackets on other rail mount systems. My impression, haven't measured yet, is that they will mount thru existing holes in my frame and I won't need to drill holes other than the four vertical holes thru the truck bed.

Anderson won't be making an aluminum version of the rail mount hitch as the tabs which stick into the rails won't have enough shear strength if made from aluminum.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #53

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I use the Ultimate mounted on rails in a F150 short bed. I love it!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote