Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm finding another benefit of the Andersen Hitch is the reduction of road bounce transmitted to the trailer. without use of the hitch there is more trailer movement due to road irregularities. With the hitch the trailer does not seem to move up and down as much and items inside are not disturbed as much.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #102

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm finding another benefit of the Andersen Hitch is the reduction of road bounce transmitted to the trailer.
Which is my experience with the $350 weight distribution hitch. I've yet to have anybody explain why the Andersen is worth $200 more.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #103

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
My Andersen hitch arrived yesterday with everything EXCEPT the install manual. Calls to Andersen and Hitches and More have not been returned. Any chance someone on the forum can copy and post/send me a pdf of the manual so I can install it?? I searched on line and couldn't find a txt or pdf file of this manual anyplace. Much appreciation in advance. Thanks.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #104
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
It is only 2 pages long, not too complicated. You run the chain thru the frame mount, slip the bushing and washer and nut on. Do the other side but do not tighten the nut. Install the ball into receiver at the right height to keep the trailer level. You put the collar on the bottom with a pin, ins all the chains, make sure the collar is perpendicular to the trailer. Install the chains holders to frame and check clearances. You may need to move the propane/elecrtic line along the street side frame. Once everything looks like the picture, tighten the bolts on the frame and the little screw hex screws that will bite into your frame to help keep it from moving. Once tight you then start to tighten the chains using the socket and 1/2 drive equally on both sides until the urethane bushing starts to compress and your tow vehicle is back to level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0508.JPG (17.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0509.JPG (19.0 KB, 285 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #105

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Thank you. They also got around to sending me a pdf! I will put it on our website for other's future reference. We are switching from an Equal-i-zer hitch which we found very effective but extremely noisy.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
This may have been mentioned previously, but Tammy's dad taught us a trick for hooking up (and unhooking). The nuts are lots easier to turn if you use the tongue jack to raise the hitch after locking to the ball. This takes a lot of the tension off the chains, and you can turn the nuts with your fingers for much of the way. You get the added benefit of ensuring the hitch is indeed locked to the ball if you can lift the back of the tow vehicle with it. Just reverse the process when unhooking. Use the tongue jack to lessen the tension in the chains, loosen and remove the chain/yoke assembly, then lower the jack again to get the ball latch undone.

After several times hooking and unhooking, I find the most tedious part of the process is dealing with the basic ball latch. It's getting better with lubrication and use, but I find it to be a little finicky to get latched and unlatched sometimes. I think it's more sensitive to fore and aft loads, especially, on the hitch than I'm used to.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #107

Trailer: N/A
All,

I'm really enjoying this thread. Having towed a 19' Tarus and a 24' Prowler with traditional trunnion bar WD Hitches for thousands of miles and too many hook-ups, I'm anxious to try this one. My last hitch was a Reese with dual cam sway control but I found I had to supplement it with a friction sway control for a secure ride across Montana and South Dakota.

At close to 70 with a somewhat sketchy back at times, the thought of going back to manhandling those bars is daunting. The chain and wrench arrangement looks pretty attractive. The mechanics of the Anderson is impressive even to this ancient Civil Engineer.

Thanks,

Bill
Popcorn-Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #108

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
They also got around to sending me a pdf! I will put it on our website for other's future reference.
Did you get a chance to post the PDF? I didn't see it on your site. No rush if you haven't - I just don't know if I'm not looking in the right place.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #109

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn-Billy View Post
All,

I'm really enjoying this thread. Having towed a 19' Tarus and a 24' Prowler with traditional trunnion bar WD Hitches for thousands of miles and too many hook-ups, I'm anxious to try this one. ...

At close to 70 with a somewhat sketchy back at times, the thought of going back to manhandling those bars is daunting.
I use a conventional WD hitch as supplied by Escape with the chains and bars. To minimize the effort required to tension the bars with the chains you should use your front jack to lift up the hitch after it is coupled but before the WD bars are tensioned. This will significantly reduce the effort required to attach the chains and tension the bars. Once that is done, back off on the jack and the bars will take up the load. No effort at all other than operating the jack. You have to operate the jack every time you hitch up or disconnect, anyways whether you are using a conventional WD system or the Anderson system. Thus, effortwise, the Anderson should be no less work than conventional (other than an extra up and down with the jack).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #110

Trailer: 2012 17B
I've got a 21 on order (Jan delivery, alas, since the web site email wasn't working) and will be towing with a Highlander. Definitely want a WD but I am 70, or so close as to make no never mind. I really worried about hooking one up since I'm not as strong as I once was, and would HATE to be dependent on the kindness of strangers. Reese suggested an Anderson, my local RV place suggested this: Trunnion-Style Light Duty Weight Distribution Kit - 500 lb WD-500

Anyone know anything about it, and which would be easier to use while still being safe?

Sally

Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote