Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape
If you are going to use this system it would be a good idea to carry replacement bushings and the " brake type linings".

Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can definitely see how it would distribute the weight. With tightening the chains, the ball and coupler has nowhere to go but up, giving the very same effect as the bar type WDH, but with a different setup.

With this setup, all the pulling would now happen through the chains, and the trailer tongue would be pushing towards the ball, not pulling on it. I have a bit of concern with this in that the coupler is designed primarily for pulling, though it certainly must be able to handle lots of forward pressure under normal use.

There seems to be some good reviews at other trailering sites. but I have not seen much from folks towing lightweight trailers. I have no trouble towing without a WDH right now, and only a couple of situations where I found it would have been nicer, and if something like this would help even a little bit, and give good sway control, it might just be the ticket for me.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
If you are going to use this system it would be a good idea to carry replacement bushings and the " brake type linings".
I don't think this is an issue, they are warranted for life, and if they need to be replaced, they say they will ship the replacement parts for free.

I have now spent a bit of time looking around, and am slowly beginning to think it could be a good option. Lots written in other forums, but one needs to filter through all the drivel between posts that actually give reviews.

Here is a video comparing the two types of WDH's. Obviously done by Andersen, so the knocking of the spring type needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as they have been proven to work. What it is good for is explaining how both types work to distribute weight.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I like the Andersen set up, but I have one concern. The frame attachment relies upon side clamping force to keep the attachment fixed. Historically, I find these systems fail to keep the rear attachment point fixed. Other than drilling a hole in the frame, not, what will keep that clamp from moving due to the forces being placed on those 2 bolts.In addition the picture shows a large flat frame with a lot more surface area for gripping vs a channel frame or a smaller 3" box frame we have.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #15

I don't think that would be too much of an issue, Jim. With the attachment only on one side (the bottom), the clamp would twist the slightest at first, with the bolts biting into the frame. I have not heard of any issue like this in the reading of reviews I have done.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape
The Anderson Manufacturing Rep. has posted on the Forest River forum Andersen Hitches - Page 3 - Forest River Forums The thread is informative.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #17

Following that link that Jubal posted, I did see a couple with concerns of the clamps shifting, and one case where they did on the initial run, but it sounds like they were fine after that.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I just read the entire thread, very interesting, particularly the ending!!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
As I mentioned previously, the Anderson system seems to be more suited to sway control than for WD.

For WD, the Anderson hitch with chains works in a similar manner to more conventional WD hitches that rely on tension bars. Both systems work by having a moment (force x lever arm length) applied at the hitch, which distributes weight from the rear of the tow vehicle towards the front. In the case of the conventional hitches, the force is applied upwards to the bars and the lever arm length is approximately equal to the length of the tension bars. For the Anderson hitch, the force is the chain tension and the lever arm length is the vertical distance between the receiver and the point where the chains attach to the hitch. Given that the lever arm distance for the Anderson hitch looks to be about 1/5 or so the lever arm distance for the conventional WD hitches, to get an equivalent WD effect on the tow vehicle for the two systems, the Anderson hitch would have to have about 5 times greater tension force applied in the chains than would be required for the conventional WD system. To me this seems like a lot of tension to have to apply to the chains. It is quite likely that the Anderson system could not even develop the tension forces required to give similar WD effects as conventions WD hitches. If a large tension force is generated in the chains of the Anderson system, and since the Anderson system uses a connection that is bolted onto the trailer frame, this large force in the chains could quite readily cause the bolted connection to slip (unless it is drilled and bolted through the trailer frame or welded to the frame).

The system seems suspect to me relative to WD. I think that I would stick to a more conventional WD hitch.

Just my 2 cents. (Oops, given that the penny has been discontinued, this is now my 5 cents).

cheers
dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have to admit I just am not sure about this yet. Holy cow did that thread on the forest river forum go sideways.

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote