Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having used the conventional w/d set up I can tell you they are very cumbersome. I try to avoid using one at all possible and do so with my Ram. That said, towing with my FJ does lower the rear 2" and I think the Andersen will compensate small amounts, just not large amounts some people may expect. The sway control is ideal for those in need, though. I'm on the fence right now. Did find the $395 price better than the factory $500.
Yes, that ending was wild..
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Given that the lever arm distance for the Anderson hitch looks to be about 1/5 or so the lever arm distance for the conventional WD hitches, to get an equivalent WD effect on the tow vehicle for the two systems, the Anderson hitch would have to have about 5 times greater tension force applied in the chains than would be required for the conventional WD system.

Just my 2 cents. (Oops, given that the penny has been discontinued, this is now my 5 cents).

cheers
dave
Dave, I follow your thinking here, but that smaller ratio is in the bar system too, on the vertical part of the bar which would carry the same forces as the chain on the Andersen. That video I posted (made by Andersen) I think rightly shows that there is an incredible amount of tension at the corner of the bar. No way am I going to say I know all that is happening with the torques and forces here, just doing some thinking is all.

And get with the times, you opinion is now worth 2 nickels. A measly 5 cents belittles your thinking too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I have to admit I just am not sure about this yet. Holy cow did that thread on the forest river forum go sideways.
I could see that coming, that guy who claimed to know all with 15 years of sales experience, seemed to refuse to see how it worked. Whether or not to what degree you believe it will perform, it is not hard to see how it works, especially once you watch the videos.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Dave, I follow your thinking here, but that smaller ratio is in the bar system too, on the vertical part of the bar which would carry the same forces as the chain on the Andersen. That video I posted (made by Andersen) I think rightly shows that there is an incredible amount of tension at the corner of the bar. No way am I going to say I know all that is happening with the torques and forces here, just doing some thinking is all.

And get with the times, you opinion is now worth 2 nickels. A measly 5 cents belittles your thinking too much.

I could see that coming, that guy who claimed to know all with 15 years of sales experience, seemed to refuse to see how it worked. Whether or not to what degree you believe it will perform, it is not hard to see how it works, especially once you watch the videos.
Jim, you are entirely correct in that the tension bars of a conventional WD hitch will have to resist a large bending moment at the hitch where they go from vertical to horizontal. I assume that these steel bars are designed to perform that function. My point was that the geometry of a conventional WD hitch was better suited to redistribution of weight due to the longer lever arms than is the Anderson hitch.

I am happy to see that you value my opinion to the tune of 2 nickels. I was a little worried that you would have correctly pointed out that since I had upped the value from 2 cents to 5 cents, that I should have rounded down rather than up, which would have rendered my opinion worthless.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
i am happy to see that you value my opinion to the tune of 2 nickels. I was a little worried that you would have correctly pointed out that since i had upped the value from 2 cents to 5 cents, that i should have rounded down rather than up, which would have rendered my opinion worthless. ;d
roflmao
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #25

Well, Woodys RV here in Calgary carries the Andersen Hitches, though did not have the model 3339 WDH stocked as they mostly deal with larger trailers, but ordered one in for me.

I am trying to get my wife to drive some, so I thought I would give it a try as it would likely smooth out the few bounces we do get. Because it also has anti-sway was the determining factor, as I had already considered doing something along this line anyway.

Once I get it and try it I will report back. I have nothing to compare it too, as even when I was pulling bigger trailers with a bigger tow, I never used one.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 17
Thanks for the update. I would like to know the speed up hookup. Some say it's faster than the traditional bars others say no time saving at all.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #27

Jim, I too ordered my 3339 today, mine was done at 11:30 am- eat, almost same as your time it was $395 plus tax (in state dealer) free shipping, should be here on Monday. We will both have to report reviews. Shipping weight 58 lbs
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #28

Mine was $500 (CAD), we always seem to pay more up here. They expect about 2 weeks to get it in.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #29

I believe thy are made in Idaho, just south of the border.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #30

Yeah, they are in Idaho Falls, and I was just through there in early October. Go figure......
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #31

I put the "equalizer" hitch that Escape offers on my Nissan Frontier. I bought the EQ hitch for an older jeep I'm building, but when the drop on my hitch wasn't right we just put the EQ hitch on the Frontier.

I love it and will never tow without one again. It locks the two vehicles together.

Anyhow, we were returning from Big Bend two weeks ago and there were 65 to 70 mph crosswinds (true 90 degree angle) from Carlsbad to Roswell NM. (No aliens, think it was too windy). In fact, the winds were so strong empty boxcars were blown off the tracks.

My gas mileage was abysmal, but the trailer and truck were locked together both front-to-rear and torsionally. The wind did not buffet the trailer independantly of the truck.

Further, when the trailer is parked and is sitting at a different angle than the truck, on one side the torsion bar will be highly loaded and on the other side the torsion bar will be slack.

I'm convinced that the standard EQ hitch that Escape sells both equalizes and provides at least some sway control.

I can get it on and off in a matter of minutes. It usually takes way longer to get the ball centered under the tongue.....
schmucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmucko View Post
I put the "equalizer" hitch that Escape offers on my Nissan Frontier. I bought the EQ hitch for an older jeep I'm building, but when the drop on my hitch wasn't right we just put the EQ hitch on the Frontier.

I love it and will never tow without one again. It locks the two vehicles together.

Anyhow, we were returning from Big Bend two weeks ago and there were 65 to 70 mph crosswinds (true 90 degree angle) from Carlsbad to Roswell NM. (No aliens, think it was too windy). In fact, the winds were so strong empty boxcars were blown off the tracks.

My gas mileage was abysmal, but the trailer and truck were locked together both front-to-rear and torsionally. The wind did not buffet the trailer independantly of the truck.

Further, when the trailer is parked and is sitting at a different angle than the truck, on one side the torsion bar will be highly loaded and on the other side the torsion bar will be slack.

I'm convinced that the standard EQ hitch that Escape sells both equalizes and provides at least some sway control.

I can get it on and off in a matter of minutes. It usually takes way longer to get the ball centered under the tongue.....
That sums up my experience with our Tacoma exactly. A friend was following us one time and said later that he was amazed at how the Tacoma and Blue seemed to move together like one unit.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #33

Wow 65 to 70 mph crosswinds is one heck of a test on a square shaped trailer. Thanks for sharing Schmuck.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #34

Well my Andersen hitch arrived today, weighs around 50 lbs. But there is a disclaimer, will not work with Atwood 88000 series coupler. Does anyone know what Escape uses on their units? Pictures will follow once I can verify the coupler compatibility.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #35

I have no idea on the coupler. Maybe an email to Escape is needed, as I see nothing on the coupler itself to identify it. I imagine it has to do with this WDH putting backwards pressure on the coupler that there could be a concern with this particular model.

I just got the call a few minutes ago that mine is in, I just have to find time to get there to pick it up.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #36

Passing this along if any past years used the coupler and you need help to identify

link
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #37

Given the Atwood PDF's on that page, it looks like we are in the clear. I had one of those thumb latch type couplers on my last stick trailer, and hated it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood 8800.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2440
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #38

Jason @ andersen just emailed me that the coupler on the Escape 19 is okay to go, it is not an Atwood 88xxx series. I had sent 3 pictures yesterday of the coupler.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #39

Good to hear. I wonder if past year models are good to go.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #40

I'll post the pictures here for reference, these are okay/acceptable, according to Jason @ andersen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0122.jpg   IMG_0123.jpg   IMG_0124.jpg   IMG_0125.jpg