Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #31

I put the "equalizer" hitch that Escape offers on my Nissan Frontier. I bought the EQ hitch for an older jeep I'm building, but when the drop on my hitch wasn't right we just put the EQ hitch on the Frontier.

I love it and will never tow without one again. It locks the two vehicles together.

Anyhow, we were returning from Big Bend two weeks ago and there were 65 to 70 mph crosswinds (true 90 degree angle) from Carlsbad to Roswell NM. (No aliens, think it was too windy). In fact, the winds were so strong empty boxcars were blown off the tracks.

My gas mileage was abysmal, but the trailer and truck were locked together both front-to-rear and torsionally. The wind did not buffet the trailer independantly of the truck.

Further, when the trailer is parked and is sitting at a different angle than the truck, on one side the torsion bar will be highly loaded and on the other side the torsion bar will be slack.

I'm convinced that the standard EQ hitch that Escape sells both equalizes and provides at least some sway control.

I can get it on and off in a matter of minutes. It usually takes way longer to get the ball centered under the tongue.....

schmucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmucko View Post
I put the "equalizer" hitch that Escape offers on my Nissan Frontier. I bought the EQ hitch for an older jeep I'm building, but when the drop on my hitch wasn't right we just put the EQ hitch on the Frontier.

I love it and will never tow without one again. It locks the two vehicles together.

Anyhow, we were returning from Big Bend two weeks ago and there were 65 to 70 mph crosswinds (true 90 degree angle) from Carlsbad to Roswell NM. (No aliens, think it was too windy). In fact, the winds were so strong empty boxcars were blown off the tracks.

My gas mileage was abysmal, but the trailer and truck were locked together both front-to-rear and torsionally. The wind did not buffet the trailer independantly of the truck.

Further, when the trailer is parked and is sitting at a different angle than the truck, on one side the torsion bar will be highly loaded and on the other side the torsion bar will be slack.

I'm convinced that the standard EQ hitch that Escape sells both equalizes and provides at least some sway control.

I can get it on and off in a matter of minutes. It usually takes way longer to get the ball centered under the tongue.....
That sums up my experience with our Tacoma exactly. A friend was following us one time and said later that he was amazed at how the Tacoma and Blue seemed to move together like one unit.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 17B 2017
Wow 65 to 70 mph crosswinds is one heck of a test on a square shaped trailer. Thanks for sharing Schmuck.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Well my Andersen hitch arrived today, weighs around 50 lbs. But there is a disclaimer, will not work with Atwood 88000 series coupler. Does anyone know what Escape uses on their units? Pictures will follow once I can verify the coupler compatibility.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have no idea on the coupler. Maybe an email to Escape is needed, as I see nothing on the coupler itself to identify it. I imagine it has to do with this WDH putting backwards pressure on the coupler that there could be a concern with this particular model.

I just got the call a few minutes ago that mine is in, I just have to find time to get there to pick it up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #36

Passing this along if any past years used the coupler and you need help to identify

link
Old 04-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Given the Atwood PDF's on that page, it looks like we are in the clear. I had one of those thumb latch type couplers on my last stick trailer, and hated it.

Atwood 8800.JPG
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
Site Team

Jason @ andersen just emailed me that the coupler on the Escape 19 is okay to go, it is not an Atwood 88xxx series. I had sent 3 pictures yesterday of the coupler.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #39

Good to hear. I wonder if past year models are good to go.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #40
Site Team

I'll post the pictures here for reference, these are okay/acceptable, according to Jason @ andersen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (303.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (220.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (223.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0125.jpg (213.8 KB, 19 views)