Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Don't mean to challenge what you say Jim, but my socket (and the ratchet I had to buy for it) is 1/2 in. drive.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm having a bad night, my bad again. It's in the trailer and it's raining, I took a guess while watching BigBang. -0- for 2
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Okay, so they provide the socket and I just need a 1/2" ratchet or similar. Thanks!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, I finally got around to installing my Anderson WDH, and gave it a good workout to Osoyoos and back.

Having towed lots since being a kid, trailers of all shapes and sizes, from semi-truck/trailer units, to farm equipment, to a few different travel trailers, to a measly air compressor. In that time I have never once used a WDH.

I also need to add that I never really felt the need with the 19 behind my Pilot. Adding bikes to the back last fall was the first time I ever felt a need to control sway. I do really need to double check my hight weight with that rear load, as it was likely a bit low.

I have done pretty much ALL of our towing of travel trailers, and would definitely want to get Lisa towing more. I wanted to make certain all the little nuances I feel but am not bothered by myself were minimized for her confidence. This is the main reason for the purchase.

My way of summing up the use of the Andersen WDH is that it does make the tow-trailer combo seem a bit more like one unit, as many of the little trailer idiosyncrasies, like a bit of sway, or a bit of bounce on big bumps, was minimized greatly.

I measured the wheel well height on the Pilot before and after hooking up. The front came up 1/4", and the rear dropped 3/8".

It took me about an hour to set the hitch up in the first place, then an additional 2 minutes every subsequent time was added to the hook-up routine.

BTW, Lisa drove quite a bit and did not have a single issue with towing. Not bad considering it was her first go at it. Heck, I had to get her to slow down a couple times, as she was pushing over 120 kph. I had even considered trying to get her to try backing in to a site, but thought that might be pushing our relationship a bit too much.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My experience with the RAV4, 17B and WDH ( not Anderson ) is the same. So, the question still is, is the Anderson better than a standard WDH? Is it worth the premium price? Is it easier to hook up?
You'll just have to come back to Osoyoos with a standard WDH so we have something for comparison.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #86

Yeah, nothing to compare it too, other than nothing at all.

Not much chance of getting one of the old style either.

It would be easy to compare ease of hooking up though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #87

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Jim:

We plan to be in the same position with lots of driving ahead, would like Beth to help out, so you would suggest the Anderson is a good purchase, right.

Just curious - Marina posted a photo on FGRV thread "sightings", post 2322, is that your Escape in the foreground - looks like your tug?

Fiberglass RV

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've got a relative who towed trailers for many years. He told stories of all the wrecked trailers caused by poor hitches and high wind. Another friend who rolled a TV and trailer. Being new to towing, I consider $575 a cheap price for being as safe as possible when towing. There's too much at stake to cut corners. JMHO
Kevin
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My experience with the RAV4, 17B and WDH ( not Anderson ) is the same. So, the question still is, is the Anderson better than a standard WDH? Is it worth the premium price? Is it easier to hook up?
You'll just have to come back to Osoyoos with a standard WDH so we have something for comparison.
Any feedback out there from those who have switched from the standard to the Anderson WDH?

Thanks,
John
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #90

Jim,

Thanks for the review of the Andersen WDH. Sounds like a good choice for me. Did you find the install pretty straight forward and instructions easy to understand.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Jim:

We plan to be in the same position with lots of driving ahead, would like Beth to help out, so you would suggest the Anderson is a good purchase, right.

Just curious - Marina posted a photo on FGRV thread "sightings", post 2322, is that your Escape in the foreground - looks like your tug?

Fiberglass RV

Adrian
Adrian, I found my expectations for what I wanted from it met, and if your wife is not used to towing much, it would be a worthwhile purchase.

Good eye, that is us. We were camped right beside Marina (and her furfriend, Tony).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I've got a relative who towed trailers for many years. He told stories of all the wrecked trailers caused by poor hitches and high wind. Another friend who rolled a TV and trailer. Being new to towing, I consider $575 a cheap price for being as safe as possible when towing. There's too much at stake to cut corners. JMHO
Kevin
Don't be fooled, while a WDH may help with some sway (rarely caused by wind in my experience), the effects of real high winds that should be avoided with our bubble trailers.I have stopped towing a couple times in high winds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Jim,

Thanks for the review of the Andersen WDH. Sounds like a good choice for me. Did you find the install pretty straight forward and instructions easy to understand.

Dave
The install was very straight forward. Typical of anything like that, I could do the next one with my eyes closed in half the time. I did screw one thing up, though it does not make a huge difference, in that I forgot to lock the hitch on the ball when I tightened up the brackets and set the set screws. This just resulted in my brackets being back near 1/4" too much, and instead of 7 threads showing, I am leaving only 5 showing.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #92

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Much of the trip we just had was in very windy areas of west Texas and eastern New Mexico. I have been through those areas several times in recent years and I know west Texas is known for the wind. Nevertheless there was more wind than I ever remember and we had very little problem with it. We have the standard Escape WDH and I only remember some problem once or twice and I think that was the ridiculous pre-tornadic wind.

The biggest factor is probably how you are loaded and whether you have the needed tongue weight up there, which we do. When someone says the wind whipped him around, you don't know how he was loaded (and maybe he doesn't either.) Also, you will notice a big difference in how wind affects you depending on whether you are parallel to it or perpendicular.

We could never put our awning out! I have to say though that the WDH supplied by Escape seemed fine. The worse situations were definitely driving rain which of course comes with wind, too, and can fog your mirrors. I don't want to be on any highway then.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #93

Jim,

With the friction anti-sway tapered ball did you feel more resistance while turning or backing into sites? Seems like with the tongue weight on the ball it would be very hard to turn.

Thanks

Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #94

Dave, I never had a problem at all, and last Sunday night I literally jacknifed it into a nice position with no problem. Hooking back up was easy in that position too.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #95

Thanks Jim I appreciate the quick reply.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I am about to order the Anderson Hitch so we have it when we pick up our 19'. I just want to make sure that the correct model for the Escape 19' in the Anderson 3339?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I am about to order the Anderson Hitch so we have it when we pick up our 19'. I just want to make sure that the correct model for the Escape 19' in the Anderson 3339?
That is correct. Reace mentioned last weekend that he had put one on a trailer recently, so must be able to supply them. You might check and see what one would cost installed from him. Though, I know they can be bought cheaper in the US, just might be a pain to haul with you.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #98

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We have this hitch on order with our 19 ft and the cost is $550.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #99

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That is correct. Reace mentioned last weekend that he had put one on a trailer recently, so must be able to supply them. You might check and see what one would cost installed from him. Though, I know they can be bought cheaper in the US, just might be a pain to haul with you.
Our trailer will be shipped to Elkhart probably and we will pick it up there so I want to get it before we leave and have the TV part already setup. We are not able to travel to Chilliwack because of work.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #100

Ah...gotcha. A fairly easy install anyway.