Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #181

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Brian I don't want to get into any long discussion but to me what Jim mentions here sure sound like an added complexity that the "old" WDH does not have:

"The red stuff you see is friction material that as pressure is exerted down from the tongue makes turning the ball harder, thus this becomes your sway control.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #182

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Brian I don't want to get into any long discussion but to me what Jim mentions here sure sound like an added complexity that the "old" WDH does not have:

"The red stuff you see is friction material that as pressure is exerted down from the tongue makes turning the ball harder, thus this becomes your sway control.
Yes, the ball/shaft turns in the head, just as conventional spring bars turn in their head. Yes, Andersen put friction material there, adding exactly zero moving parts, and corresponding to the friction between bars and head (two of the "four points of sway control" in an Equal-i-zer) and between the bars an brackets on designs such as the Equal-i-zer and Reese Light Weight.

I still don't see the complexity, but again that is my opinion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In case anyone interested has not seen it, I am attaching the installation manual. Andersen does not offer it from their website, but freely provided it when I asked.

Update: sorry, that failed - the file is about 2 MB and the PDF file upload limit in the forum is 400 KB. I'll see if I can find a way around that...
Update 2: Following an excellent suggestion from Doug (jamman), I have uploaded the manual to the Files section of the site. It apparently needs some sort of administrative approval before members can see it; if that doesn't happen I'll follow up.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #184

Trailer: 2012 17B
I'd be interested to hear any results from Anderson about noise. Mine is very noisy. Sounds like the coupling of two train cars and is only quiet when towing dead level, any slight movement and the groaning starts up again. I asked Reace about it and he suggested calling Anderson, but as I won't be towing again till Jan i will wait. They hitched it up for me in Chilliwack so I don't think it is a hitch error. (Im towing a 21 with a Toyota Highlander, which was more than adequate. But I am shopping for a more powerful tow, like a lot of safety factor)
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #185

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Brian,
I can not find your Andersen upload in the files section, you want to send it to me direct?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #186

Brian,
please try the download to files again, we may have fixed the problem
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #187

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
The download worked fine just now. Thanks, Jim. It will help inform our decision of what hitch to order.
Brent.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #188

The manual now shows as "approved" and is available in the Files area under Miscellaneous as Andersen No-Sway WD Hitch Manual 2013.

Thanks Site Team
Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #189

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Brian B-P,
Thanks for loading the Anderson No-Sway WD Hitch Manual 2013.
I now understand how drilling holes and the set screws work. Thank you for taking time to make this happen.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #190

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
Much appreciated for the download!
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #191

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Tools required to install Anderson WHD

Thinking of having my 19 delivered rather then making the long trip from GA. I will be installing the Anderson WDH. What tools will i need when it comes off the truck?
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #192

There is an installation manual found here on the forum, you can download and read, it has the tools required, jet a couple of wrenches...Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - Miscellaneous Documents
Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #193

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just towed the Escape with the Andersen and Ram set up. Towed straight and true thru 35 mph winds last night in Des Moines, Iowa on the way here to a rally in Nebraska. I think the winds last night and today were left over residue from the tragedy in Oklahoma. I never had any sway even with the strongest winds. Drove through the Pennsylvania/West Virginia mountains, got 11 mpg, on the flat land Ohio/Indiana/Illinois I got 13 mpg. When I hit Iowa and the wind and had it for the next 500 miles, took a hit back down to 11 mpg. Drove non stop Sunday night to last night thru 6 states until right past Des Moines. Stopped at rest area until this am and arrived in Minden, Ne. 1350 miles in little over 36 hours.
I did let some air out of my rear shocks down to 5 psi to allow the truck to absorb some of the road ups/downs since the Andersen kept the Escape locked to the back of the truck. This way allowed the Escape to tow smoother without any thing falling to floor, even my cutting board on the stove and the sink cover stayed in it's place.
Other than the wind causing poor gas, I'm very pleased with the straight and narrow towing with the Andersen.
Jim, Eventually I'll have a 19' stuck to the back of my 1/2 ton Ram. Would you recommend a WDH and sway bar? I have had my life flash before my eyes before and I can do without that addrenalin rush:
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #194

The only w/d/sway set up I would use is the Andersen, with the conventional w/d if it is not set up properly it makes it worst. with the Andersen, it's so easy and almost impossible to set up incorrectly. I sold my old one with the Escape but bought another one for BlackJack. I also suggest you get the mirrors I got for my Ram. See here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...rs-1781-3.html
post#24
Old 01-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #195

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Andersen Hitch update

We need to decide soon whether to spring for the more expensive Andersen WDH. Are there any more comparisons out there since the last post from people who have used both the Andersen and other WDH's? I have read a lot on this and many other forums about the Andersen and still have a few doubts as to whether it is worth the extra bucks. I would appreciate any new feedback.
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #196

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had the less expensive ETI-supplied Pro Series for the 17B. Worked well, but was clunky and the bars would sometimes drag, although that was probably due to a low hitch height. Have the Andersen now and am glad. It is lighter, easy to store and the receiver isn't as big and bulky either for when you put it way after returning home. Haven't experienced any downside to it. It is best to unhitch while square to the trailer otherwise you're having to straighten it out with just one side attached while you make a turn sharply to one side.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #197

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I would go for one again. Ours required a little maintenance after 12,000 miles, which turned out to be extremely easy and at no cost. Anderson provided a new friction sleeve, which I learned that I didn't really need, and two new polymer springs which had taken a little set (and could have been used for a long time yet). It's light, quiet, clean, and it does what it's supposed to do. I think it's worth the cost.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #198
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another Andersen vote here - I hated the clunky greasy spring bars on my last WDH and the little clip things on the stinger liked to fall out when trying to get the trailer hitched up. Andersen is super simple.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #199

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
A Bump Here for the Anderson. this is our first WDH and compared to what i have seen/heard from others wouldn't have it any other way.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #200

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I hated the clunky greasy spring bars on my last WDH and the little clip things on the stinger liked to fall out.
No grease on my spring bars and what are these "clip things" on the stinger that you refer to?
My standard WDH is heavy, I'll give you that, but nothing to wear out or get out of adjustment.