Anyone else towing with 2003-2009 4Runner? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Portsmouth, Virginia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 42
Anyone else towing with 2003-2009 4Runner?

Hey folks,

I'm coming down to the wire on getting my build sheet finalized. Trailer is going into production in June. I've done a lot of reading about WD/Sway control hitches on here but haven't found my way to what I'm looking for yet. I have a 2008 4Runner that I will be towing my new 19' with and I'd like to make sure that ETI has the hitch that would best fit my application. My towing capacity is 7k. I see the E2 on the build sheet along with two others but I don't see the Anderson that I've seen discussed. Has anyone else who's got the same generation 4Runner been though the mill on choosing a hitch and what did you end up with?

Thanks,

John
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 19
2008 4Runner V8
Ironhorsenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,178
I would tow without one and add it later, if needed. I have none with my Ram 1500 and have -0- issues. I think the w/d set up helps with certain applications but not necessarily with all situations.
__________________

__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Portsmouth, Virginia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 42
Hi Jim,

I haven't decided if I will drive from Virginia to pick up the trailer with my 4Runner or fly out, rent an F250 from one of the fleet rental places and return one-way with that. I was concerned about the long trip back without the hitch on my 4Runner. From the threads I've read it seems some use one and some don't. Maybe I won't ever really need one but if I will, or others with the same truck do, I'd like to get it from ETI and have them set it up. I've towed a 3500# boat with no issues and the 12' Uhaul trailers a few times. Maybe this is a non-issue. hmm.
__________________
2017 Escape 19
2008 4Runner V8
Ironhorsenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,178
So if you fly then it would not make sense to set it up with a rental truck, if you drive then you have a choice, you can have then install or decide against it. Adding one later is relatively easy.
I looked into a rental but due to the brake controller issues decided on a split trailer delivery on first 2 Escapes, drove out on my last one, very memorable. BTW, Andersen is made in Idaho and I stopped there at the factory on one of my trips to Osoyoos and picked up some brackets when I was towing the 21 Escape, another option, they will install and set you up.
I found after installing air bags my truck was level and did not need any w/d set up.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Dave&Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Posts: 414
Hi John,
We tow with our 2006 V8 Ltd 4 runner. It has the auto leveling. When we picked up the 21 we did not have a WDH hitch, so no sway control either. Towed fine for a few months but then reconsidered. A WDH hitch does more than level the trailer. In an emergency stop it helps maintain even weight on all the tow vehicle wheels (so the trailer doesn't push down on the rear of your TV causing the front to lift and compromising your control of the vehicle. So we got an Anderson (ETI was carrying them at the time). We noticed a much more stable ride and good sway control which any good WDH should be able to provide. We love the 4runner and the 21, great combo, you will have no problem with the 19. We took a trip around the US last year - never had a problem (not counting the alligator in NOLA but that's a tale for a different day).

Happy trails and safe travels,
Dave & Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Portsmouth, Virginia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Posts: 42
Jim, I agree on the not setting up with a WDH on a rental. On the controller I had been told by one of the rental companies that their F250's and 2500's come with brake controllers. I was going to verify that information closer to the time I was finalizing plans, which is now. I'm still debating on taking the time off needed for the round trip. The longer I am away from the job, the worse it is going back and my other half is a business owner so she's not completely ready for a long time off. When you did the split delivery, where did you pick up your trailers and did you purchase sight unseen or did you fly out to inspect your trailers before you had them ship them? I was thinking of that alternative also.

Dave, Kathy, thanks for the input on your setup. Looks like the WDH may not be a "must" but could be of use to make sure things are safer, especially in an abrupt maneuver. The main thing I wanted to try to avoid was getting something from ETI (should I end up driving out) and then finding out that another brand or model would have worked better with my tow. They show the E2 + a Pro Series + a Pro Series with Sway Control bar on the build sheet.

Thanks,

John
__________________
2017 Escape 19
2008 4Runner V8
Ironhorsenva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So if you fly then it would not make sense to set it up with a rental truck, if you drive then you have a choice, you can have then install or decide against it. Adding one later is relatively easy.
I looked into a rental but due to the brake controller issues decided on a split trailer delivery on first 2 Escapes, drove out on my last one, very memorable. BTW, Andersen is made in Idaho and I stopped there at the factory on one of my trips to Osoyoos and picked up some brackets when I was towing the 21 Escape, another option, they will install and set you up.
I found after installing air bags my truck was level and did not need any w/d set up.
I'm curious about Anderson. I intend to get the rail mount hitch and most of the accessories. Will the Anderson factory install that stuff or is it a local shop? I haven't seen anything on their site saying they will install everything.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ian G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Posts: 444
We tow our 19' with a 2008 4Runner V6 with the Anderson hitch. The set-up works great, we have ample power for the 19' so your V8 should be even better. I really like the Anderson hitch, we had the Reese bar style for you Casita and I like the Anderson more.

An improtant note with the Anderson hitch, get the extended hitch, this allows you to open the tailgate, with the standard length the tailgate will hit the jack. Here is a link to my thread on it Andersen extended rack
__________________
Ian & Joan
2014 Escape 19' & 1974 Custom Boler "Buttercup"
Escape Key Chains at our Camping Treasures web store || www.Proud-Canadian.com blog
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
Jim, I agree on the not setting up with a WDH on a rental. On the controller I had been told by one of the rental companies that their F250's and 2500's come with brake controllers. I was going to verify that information closer to the time I was finalizing plans, which is now. I'm still debating on taking the time off needed for the round trip. The longer I am away from the job, the worse it is going back and my other half is a business owner so she's not completely ready for a long time off. When you did the split delivery, where did you pick up your trailers and did you purchase sight unseen or did you fly out to inspect your trailers before you had them ship them? I was thinking of that alternative also.

Dave, Kathy, thanks for the input on your setup. Looks like the WDH may not be a "must" but could be of use to make sure things are safer, especially in an abrupt maneuver. The main thing I wanted to try to avoid was getting something from ETI (should I end up driving out) and then finding out that another brand or model would have worked better with my tow. They show the E2 + a Pro Series + a Pro Series with Sway Control bar on the build sheet.

Thanks,

John
Both of my deliveries were here in York,Pa with another 19 from North Carolina who drove up here to York so as they could go camping local with us and learn about the trailer. The other delivery was the 21's to Illinois and then here in York, Pa. You can also get a discount for shipment to Indiana where Escape's pick up their parts.Check with Escape as to sharing delivery costs and they can tell you their delivery schedule to your area.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dave&Kathie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I'm curious about Anderson. I intend to get the rail mount hitch and most of the accessories. Will the Anderson factory install that stuff or is it a local shop? I haven't seen anything on their site saying they will install everything.
You install it yourself. There are several video 'how tos':
plus it comes with great instructions. (PS It is not a rail count hitch).
__________________

Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.