Anyone ever order a "very" custom Escape? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #11

Re: Anyone ever order a "very" custom Escape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry

Why not look at a 17A; it's 1900 lbs. dry and has a permanent bed up front and a full size dinette at the back. You could order it with a porta pottie and the outside shower option which would give you hot water and a shower for very little weight gain. It would be easier to resell at a later date if you decide to upgrade your vehicle and get a larger trailer in the future.

Barry
The permanent bed is too small for my wife and I to be comfortable - I toss a lot at night due to my disability, and my sleep apnea. (Trust me, it's a pretty awesome combination...)

Does the 17 have an option for an overhead bunk?

The Adam Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Please accept this in the spirit with which it is offered.

It seems to me that using an older vehicle as the decision-maker for purchasing a new trailer is a bit backward. Why not continue tent-camping in your mini-van while you save enough to upgrade the vehicle; and then purchase the trailer you want.

When the time comes to sell the mini-van, you may find yourself with a trailer which no longer satisfies you and has reduced resale value. You're probably going to have to wait a six months to a year for the trailer anyway.

Again, I am not flaming you.

Dave
I appreciate all suggestions provided in the vein of goodwill!
The whole situation is as follows - my wife refuses to camp with our boys in a tent, not so much the 4yo, but the little guy that is now only 7 months old. It's a cleanliness thing, she wants to ensure he gets a bath every night, and also she is worried he will get too cold in just a tent. I've been around and around with her on this, it ain't happening unfortunately. And it is really unfortunate since we have all the necessary camping gear right now, and we have some great parks really close by...
And as for our current vehicles, the minivan only has 100,000km on the clock, and we live in a smaller city that my wife works in. Her commute is about 2.5 km each way. Therefore she won't be racking up much mileage on the van at all, and so it will last us a number of years with little to no issues. Plus she finally likes it and it's really a great vehicle for our family, and our extended family as well because when my parents (from out of province) come to visit we can go everywhere together in one vehicle.
My daily driver is a 1995 right hand drive Jeep Cherokee with ~ 75,000 km on it, I just imported it from Japan last year. Obvious question - Why the heck would I want a RHD Jeep? Well, years back I had a motorcycle accident and left me with a paralysed right arm. Driving while on the right side of the vehicle allows me to be able to easily reach the stereo, heater and every other control in the center area without having to stress my shoulder.
And the Jeep with the 4.0 and auto tranny is nearly bullet-proof and I should be able to keep it running without any major maintenance for at least 5-6 more years.
And the thought of spending 15-20 grand on a third vehicle that would basically only see use during the summer is not at all appealing to me.
And selling either the minivan of the Jeep would equate to losing money, so it's just a further step back.

I haven't totally ruled out getting that 3rd vehicle explicitly for tow duties, but it's going to be a hard pill for me to swallow.
So, I'm trying to work within the confines of the vehicles I have right now.
And I have lots of time to brainstorm and take ideas from other people (like the Escape community here ) because we won't be buying anything for at least another year, possibly not until spring of 2014. But, even at that time it would be stretching our incomes to buy both a trailer and a more stout TV at the same time.
If I was closer to getting rid of one of my current vehicles, the decision would be a lot easier.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett

You could buy a good used tow vehicle for half the price of a 19. Either that, or go with a 17A like Barry suggested.
I've been looking on kijiji and for a 1/2 ton Ford or Dodge with around 125,000km they seem to run low-mid teens. (Much more than that on the clock and I become less confident about its reliability.)
So let's say $15,000 for the TV and then $30,000 for the trailer = $45,000.
The trailer will hold its value a lot better than the TV, and that's something else I've got to consider...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp

Escape is offering a $2K discount over the winter, with a base price of $19 you can get a real nice Escape 17B for around $21k that will sleep your boys on a gaucho, have a bath and be towable by your van.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Adam, why would you not use the Jeep as a tow? Doesn't the 4.0 have a 5,000 lb tow capacity?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Adam, why would you not use the Jeep as a tow? Doesn't the 4.0 have a 5,000 lb tow capacity?
The rating is there, but the interior space isn't.
I've had my oldest in his car seat in it once, he has very little leg room. Unfortunately not a great setup to stick him into when we would be criss-crossing the country during the summers.