Anyone towing with a Lexus GX 460? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Anyone towing with a Lexus GX 460?

Hi all

Title says it all - Anyone towing with a Lexus GX 460?

If yes - what model Escape do you tow,

....and what do you like about it? Both towing, and when not towing.

I have done some research on it and it has good and bad things, (to me) from what I have read.

The most important good: towing capacity 6,500

Fairly nice to drive. Quiet. Tows well, supposedly.

The most significant bad points: (to me)

Swings to the right rear door. I bet this would whack a hitched Escape's Electric Trailer Tongue Jack..... Correct?

Drives somewhat more like a truck, as it is a truck frame design.

And

I am in NO rush to upgrade our tug, but I am researching SUVs that have more towing capacity than 5,000. We LOVE our Acura MDX but eventually it will need to be replaced - way down the road.

To be clear - my wife, my trusted mechanic, and I do not want anything for us that is domestic nor anything European for a tug. That is our bias, and you won't convince us otherwise.

Our strong preferences would be Honda, Acura, Toyota or Lexus, based on reliability, and our preferences.

We also do not want a pickup. Does not suit us at all

So you won't convince us to change our mind on these opinions.
Just a heads up. (Trying to avoid a debate)

Thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Swings to the right rear door. I bet this would whack a hitched Escape's Electric Trailer Tongue Jack..... Correct?
Certainly a potential problem; this is similar to the situation with a RAV4 up to the 2012 model year.

Quote:
Drives somewhat more like a truck, as it is a truck frame design.
"Truck" means many different things to different people. The GX is based on the Land Cruiser Prado, which is an SUV; the GX is basically the North American version of Toyota's most luxurious and most powerful mid-sized SUV. The 4Runner is the more mainstream equivalent. This chassis is not used for any pickup truck, but it does have some characteristics that are considered truck-like, and shared with typical pickup trucks:
  • separate body and frame
  • beam axle for rear suspension
  • longitudinal drivetrain layout
It may even share some parts with the Tacoma and/or Tundra trucks (other than the engine, which is of course shared with many vehicles).

The most obvious difference from typical pickups, and specifically from Toyota pickups, is the rear suspension of control arms and coil springs, rather than leaf springs. Ram pickups do have coil springs now.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:52 AM   #3

good info - thanks Brian.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You could always drop the electric jack or put a quick disconnect set up and use the Jack E- Up
Jack-E-Up
Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Have you considered the LX line? The tailgate is hinged at the top
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
According to Google the Lexus LX starts at $88,800 new

way to rich for my blood.

we would prefer to buy new, and keep about 10+ years..... so used isn't our preference.

thanks anyway
Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You could always drop the electric jack or put a quick disconnect set up and use the Jack E- Up
Jack-E-Up
Thanks for the tips

when you say "drop the electric jack" do you mean temporarily remove it?

or do you mean not get it installed at all?

thanks.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
when you say "drop the electric jack" do you mean temporarily remove it?
It's a quick disconnect device that you use along with a trailer jack to allow you to remove the jack when needed. I think the primary use is for pickup trucks so the tail gate can be lowered without hitting the jack.

From the manufacturers website: "With just 1/6th of a turn you can quickly release & completely remove your jack from the trailer"
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
It's a quick disconnect device that you use along with a trailer jack to allow you to remove the jack when needed. I think the primary use is for pickup trucks so the tail gate can be lowered without hitting the jack.

From the manufacturers website: "With just 1/6th of a turn you can quickly release & completely remove your jack from the trailer"
Not sure if a Jack E Up would work with an electric hitch jack......
Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Not sure if a Jack E Up would work with an electric hitch jack......
Their website says "The Jack-E-Up works with top-wind jacks, side-wind jacks, electric jacks and jacks with round base plates." Depending on the electric jack model it sounds like it would work if it has the correct diameter round base plate.

I have never used an electric hitch jack or a Jack-E-Up so I can't comment on specifics.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Certainly a potential problem; this is similar to the situation with a RAV4 up to the 2012 model year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jack-E-Up
Going with a manual jack instead of electric would help very little, if indeed this turns out to be a problem. It doesn't matter that the Atwood power jack motor make the jack taller, because a door which swing to the side like this will hit regardless of jack height, as long as the jack is close enough to the vehicle to be within the door swing arc (which it might be), and at least as tall as the bottom edge of the door (which it will be).

If the door just barely hits the electric jack head, it might just barely miss the manual jack post and handle.

The Jack-E-Up makes the jack removable, so you can leave it off until it's time to unhitch, then put in place, unhitch, and pull the tow vehicle away. It does mean that you can't open the door fully during hitching and unhitching, which may or may not be a concern. The power connection is not a problem for Jack-E-Up use - just wire the jack through a plug-in connection.

I would hit a Lexus showroom, measure how far beyond the bumper face the door edge swings on the centreline, and check how far the pin hole in the receiver is from bumper face. Then the jack-to-ball distance plus ball-to-pin mount length can be compared to the distance the door swings out. Maybe it's not a problem; maybe there's so much overlap that any jack would be hit?
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The bottom of my RAV4 door hits the trailer hitch when hooked up. I can only open it about six inches. When disconnected the door just barely clears the ball on the weight distribution hitch.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Quote:
According to Google the Lexus LX starts at $88,800 new

way to rich for my blood.
While the GX is the Lexus version of the mid-size Land Cruiser Prado, the LX is the Lexus version of the full-size Land Cruiser (J200). This is a big vehicle. Just as the Toyota 4Runner is an alternative to the Lexus GX, the Toyota Sequoia is an alternative to the Lexus LX (although there are substantial mechanical differences, such as independent rear suspension in the Sequoia versus beam axle in the LX).

Although a Land Cruiser (by any name) is likely to be a reliable choice for anyone wanting to buy used and drive the vehicle a long time, and the LX hasn't changed much for several years so not much would be sacrificed by missing the latest model, resale values are likely too high to make even a used LX affordable. The lowest-priced used current-style (2010+) LX in AutoTrader.ca today is listed at CA$42,000... for a six-year old, 147,000 kilometre vehicle. You can get a similar vintage of Sequoia for half that price.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and info

I had first looked at maybe an (eventual) Toyota Sequoia (new) but the Lexus GX is only about $5,000 more (base model - we usually buy the base model) and the internets told me (FWIIW) that the Lexus GX would be a nicer, more luxurious ride, and the Sequoia is a bit more "long in the tooth"

however both are due for a refresh / partial upgrade in 2017....

and like i said... no rush at all. I just want to have an idea of what the next tug *might* be

Old 07-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #15

Quote:
I had first looked at maybe an (eventual) Toyota Sequoia (new) but the Lexus GX is only about $5,000 more (base model - we usually buy the base model) and the internets told me (FWIIW) that the Lexus GX would be a nicer, more luxurious ride, and the Sequoia is a bit more "long in the tooth"
The J200/LX design is allegedly derived from the Tundra (the Sequoia's truck platform mate), but only a couple years after the second-generation Sequoia was introduced... and the difference between LX (or J200) and Tundra/Sequoia is not more advanced or modern design. The Sequoia has the additional advantage (over the J200 and LX) of an independent rear suspension... or at least that's an advantage for on-road ride and handling, rather than in the off-road conditions that essentially no Lexus or Sequoia ever sees.

Certainly the trim (and details such as suspension tuning and sound insulation) of a Lexus will tend more to "luxury" than the equivalent Toyota model. If you want a good sedan, buy a Toyota Camry; if you want the same car with more leather and toys, buy a Lexus ES. Having said that, if you like the luxury features the Lexus (or Infiniti rather than Nissan, or Acura rather than Honda) is often the best way to get them. Same thing in SUVs...

What many people described as "dated" or "long in the tooth" often means that it doesn't have the current style of screen in the middle of the dash. Even if it is absolutely up-to-the-minute now, If you're keeping this vehicle for a decade or more it will be well past "dated" by the end. That's how fashion works: if you buy a whole new wardrobe every season, get the fashion of the moment; but if you are keeping your clothes for a long time, you had better stick with the classics.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #16

Air suspension

It appears that some trim levels of the GX (and the LX) include (or make available as an option) what Lexus calls Adjustable Height Control (AHC), which is a rear air suspension system. This would be desirable for towing, preventing rear height change under hitch load, and adding stiffness to the rear suspension under that load as well.

The Sequoia also offers (or at least offered, last time I looked) rear air suspension.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It appears that some trim levels of the GX (and the LX) include (or make available as an option) what Lexus calls Adjustable Height Control (AHC), which is a rear air suspension system. This would be desirable for towing, preventing rear height change under hitch load, and adding stiffness to the rear suspension under that load as well.

The Sequoia also offers (or at least offered, last time I looked) rear air suspension.
Interesting

Thanks

And....

So any Lexus GS 460 tug owners here ?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

update - after posting this thread.... since then Nissan has announced is't 2017 Armada....... a very capable machine... tows 8,500 lbs with 850 lbs hitch capacity

it is based on a different chassis.... the interesting history here

Well written and good initial reviews:

First Drive: 2017 Nissan Armada - NY Daily News

and

2017 Nissan Armada First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

And

2017 Nissan Armada First Drive - Autoblog

it is getting mostly positive reviews..... and seems something of a bit of a value, for what it is.

We are in no rush, but this sure is an interesting option.

however,

Our trusted mechanics sometimes grumble about Nissans.... saying that the systems and electronics are tough to work on..... Hmmmmm

anyway - here you go. a new tug option.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
So any Lexus GS 460 tug owners here ?
I stumbled across a photo of a Lexus GX on Dave's profile; try sending him a PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I stumbled across a photo of a Lexus GX on Dave's profile; try sending him a PM.
Actually his profile says he has an LX470

thanks anyway.