Are Weight Distribution hitches and sway control sometimes a bad idea? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2016, 02:46 AM   #61

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Searched Volvo XC-90 hitch on etrailer.com and found they offer one by Curt.
It says:
  • Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
  • Rating: Class III
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 6,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 900 lbs
    • Not rated for use with weight distribution systems
  • Limited lifetime warranty
Interesting. Ok, so still no WD allowed, but I'm surprised that it would allow 900lb on the tongue since the vehicle manual says 500lb. I would have thought the rear springs, or the amount of weight transferred off the front wheels would have been the limiting factor. This implies that the limiting factor is the hitch receiver or the connection to the vehicle on the factory provided option.

Quote:
Trade you my 2008 RAV4 Sport for your XC-90. I'll throw in the WDH.
RAV4 + WDH + Escape 17B... now there's a deal that might be worth considering
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:01 AM   #62

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Interesting. Ok, so still no WD allowed
I should add that I'm not looking for a WD solution anymore for this vehicle. I'm mostly convinced now that I shouldn't try to use my existing factory hitch with WD, and I don't think it makes sense to go through the trouble of replacing the hitch that I've already paid for. I'll stick with the regular hitch and just drive a little slower.

Happy to continue the discussion though in case others find it useful.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #63

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Despite what Glenn quoted above, etrailer elsewhere recommends a trunnion weight distributing hitch for an XC 90.

By the way, anyone looking at such information needs the manual for that model for that year. The information on Toyotas is all different depending upon which model and which years.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #64

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
By the way, anyone looking at such information needs the manual for that model for that year. The information on Toyotas is all different depending upon which model and which years.
Or in my case above, even the correct year and model manual is inaccurate.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
I should add that I'm not looking for a WD solution anymore for this vehicle. I'm mostly convinced now that I shouldn't try to use my existing factory hitch with WD, and I don't think it makes sense to go through the trouble of replacing the hitch that I've already paid for. I'll stick with the regular hitch and just drive a little slower.

Happy to continue the discussion though in case others find it useful.
Great plan! I'm sure you will find it's just fine, then you will wonder why you even worried about it. By experience, towing my 17B with my prior 2013 Honda Pilot and now the Touareg for >12,000 km I wouldn't 'ever' consider adding a WDH.
2014 Escape 17B "Glass Cabin"
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #66

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Ok, so still no WD allowed, but I'm surprised that it would allow 900lb on the tongue since the vehicle manual says 500lb..
The total trailer weight ratings are different, too - the hitch allows half a ton more than the vehicle.

I'm not surprised at all. The hitch is rated for 900 pounds of tongue weight, but you can't use that capacity because the vehicle is rated for 500 pounds. It is completely normal for hitches to have ratings which are different from the vehicle (usually higher than the vehicle), and like any chain, the usable capacity is the that of the weakest link (lowest rating).

Quote:
I would have thought the rear springs, or the amount of weight transferred off the front wheels would have been the limiting factor. This implies that the limiting factor is the hitch receiver or the connection to the vehicle on the factory provided option.
I don't see that implication at all - the limitation could be the rear suspension, weight transfer, vehicle structure, or anything else that hasn't occurred to us. If some hitch manufacturer designs a Class IV hitch for a car which has a zero tow rating, that doesn't necessarily mean that there's no good place to fasten a hitch; it doesn't change the manufacturer's reason for their limits at all, and the existence of an overweight aftermarket hitch doesn't invalidate those limits of the vehicle.

If the assumption is that the XC90 is capable of safely and reliably of towing a 6000 pound trailer with 900 pounds (!) of hitch weight, and the limit is the factory-supplied hitch, then I don't see any justification for that assumption. Factory hitches are usually (although not always) designed to match the capacity of the vehicle; there's no reason for them to be the limitation.

Quote:
I'm mostly convinced now that I shouldn't try to use my existing factory hitch with WD, and I don't think it makes sense to go through the trouble of replacing the hitch that I've already paid for.
Makes sense... especially since replacing the hitch still won't make the situation for WD any better. The Curt hitch doesn't even appear to mount properly to the vehicle - the Cequent (Draw-Tite) design is much better, and almost certainly more like Volvo's design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Despite what Glenn quoted above, etrailer elsewhere recommends a trunnion weight distributing hitch for an XC 90.
Yes, because it's hard to make money not selling product.

Actually, eTrailer's page of products for the 2017 XC90 does not include any WD products. Same for 2016. If you do a Google search for "XC90 trunnion" (for example) you can find pages that looks like they were written specifically to recommend various WD systems for the XC90; however, if you construct the right URL you can have that site generate a similar page for any vehicle, including an eTrailer page recommending a 12,000 pound rated WD system for a Toyota Prius... which is clearly ridiculous.

You can even make a page which recommends one of the hitches made to fit the XC90 as appropriate for a Toyota Prius. Hey, this is better: according to eTrailer, the 20,000 pound capacity hitch for a Ford F-450 is made for a 2017 Smart fortwo! Man, those Mercedes people really build a tough small car...

I'm sure that eTrailer does not actually recommend any WD for the XC90. It's just an unfortunate combination of web site design and search engine behaviour. What you're supposed to do is select a vehicle, then work your way down through corresponding products. This is a good warning for anyone tempted to draw conclusions from what they find in a Google or similar search of equipment at eTrailer for any vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
In other words, a lot of places recommend anything for everybody, hehehe, no matter how bad of a fit? Well, if they can sell it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #69
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
And, when all else fails, don't go with the site that sells the hitch, go with the vehicle manufacturer recommendations.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And, when all else fails, don't go with the site that sells the hitch, go with the vehicle manufacturer recommendations.
Toyota would recommend their OEM hitch, which was Class 2 for my RAV4 and cost substantially more than the aftermarket hitch that was Class 3 for WHD. So, I don't buy that advice.
After all, the vehicle manufacturer is also trying to sell you something.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Toyota would recommend their OEM hitch, which was Class 2 for my RAV4 and cost substantially more than the aftermarket hitch that was Class 3 for WHD. So, I don't buy that advice.
After all, the vehicle manufacturer is also trying to sell you something.
And Toyota says if I tow more than 5000# with my 5000# max towing rated Highlander that I should use a WDH to do so...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote