Back Escape 5.0 SA up steep driveway? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Of course that increases rear axle load
On the OP's trailer the front and rear axle are one in the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzcamper View Post
I would like to store my Escape 5.0 SA in my car port, but the driveway is a steep one that levels off under the port. I can back the trailer up, but when the trailer reaches the level área the truck is still on the steep part. The angle between the trailer and the truck increases so much that the trailer will hit the bed of the truck. When level, the trailer clears the long bed of my GMC Canyon by 6 inches.

I need to raise the ball on my Anderson hitch about a foot above the norm or somehow attach the hitch to the rear bumper. Do of you know of a device or method that will raise the hitch for the sole purpose of backing a fifth wheel?

Thanks, Rick
🤔If you need an extra foot on the hitch it would be easy to fabricate longer ball mount for the Anderson, strictly for getting into your driveway. But wouldn’t you be creating a problem at the bottom of the driveway with bumper hitting with the front so high?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would rather move the hitch point rearward, close to the end of the box, rather than raising it. Of course that increases rear axle load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
On the OP's trailer the front and rear axle are one in the same.
True of the trailer, but assuming that the truck is not the rare unicycle version , it has front and rear axles. Shifting the hitch back in the box shifts load from the truck's front axle to the truck's rear axle.

Since this is a single-axle trailer, there is no shifting of load between trailer axles due to (for instance) hitch height... which is why I didn't say anything about that. On the other hand, lifting the hitching point substantially will put more load on the trailer axle and less on the truck; that wouldn't be important for this low-speed exercise.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
drop hitch... not

That is quite a challenge you have. I was about to suggest reversing a drop hitch ( one of those long suckers you see on lifted trucks) if you had a square tube bumper pull as well.

Then I read you have to turn in while backing up hill. That idea is out.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
How about buying one of the motorized trailer movers, back trailer in with tow vehicle. Place chocks at the front of front trailer wheels. Disconnect tow vehicle and move the rest of the way with the trailer mover. Expensive, but might be best solution.
I would not wanted to risk a motorized trailer mover. Suspect they are designed for relatively flat surfaces. Would be dangerous if it got away from you on an incline.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
I like Brian's suggestion of moving the Anderson hitch to the back of the truck bed for this parking operation. I would think that adding a set of bed rails to set the hitch as far back as possible temporarily would allow the truck bed and trailer to pivot as needed without anything going crunch. It also eliminates the rear trailer bumper being lowered the same amount as raising the hitch would entail if the higher hitch option was pursued, which might create other problems.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote