Backing straight... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have 2 pieces of .5"x8"x4' laminated wood pieces from scrap which I keep the tires on, these pieces can be seen lying on the concrete in my side view mirrors. I aim to place both tires on each piece, thereby keeping me straight.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #22

Trailer: R: Escape--2018 Escape 21
Much easier to back the trailer when driving forward

We find precision backing of the trailer is much easier when using the front hitch on our tractor. You can see where you are going and the maneuverability of the tractor allows for quick adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
Front_Tractor_Hitch.jpg  
R:Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Yes for the GOAL method and I am still learning by watching others and their truck’s front wheels. “Hmmm, he did that and that happened”. I believe that going really slow while briefly correctly by using the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel is starting to work for me. I get out often, talk it over with myself and try out the plan. Eventually, it ends up pretty well where I want it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by R:Escape View Post
We find precision backing of the trailer is much easier when using the front hitch on our tractor. You can see where you are going and the maneuverability of the tractor allows for quick adjustments.
Looks a lot like my JD4410 with a 420 loader. Handy little mid-sized compact tractor.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I use my 2680 Kabota with ball mounted on the bucket
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I could use my New Holland TC40D with L17 loader but I have an 18 foot wide door so backing in is not a challenge. I just plow snow with the loader and haul rotten apples out into the wildlife ground. I’m averaging 11 operating hours a year. Global warming is not a rumor, it’s a fact.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
No tractor here but I can just manage to open the trailer door so I'm good until next time! I am going to try my neighbor's dolly on it, though, and see if I can at least move a bit within the garage that way. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:56 PM   #28

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I can line up the car and trailer- but what might work is two dots, one still just says the trailer is behind the car, but if I had two lined up it says it is in a straight line behind the car. Hmm, might be something I can do with that.
Am ALSO thinking this something I can relate to....Kind of an earliER warning system for when skewing off - especially with a shorter & single axle trailer
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Hang two tennis balls from the centerline of the ceiling - one at the front and one at the back of the space.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Hang two tennis balls from the centerline of the ceiling - one at the front and one at the back of the space.
And when the trailer isnt there you can practice your forehand and backhand strokes!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post

And when the trailer isnt there you can practice your forehand and backhand strokes!
And if you smear them with Velveeta cheese you can teach your dog to jump really high.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #32

Quote:
I can't see anything past the garage door once the trailer starts in. (Not much clearance.) That would work with a backup camera, which may be in order.

And Dave, my backhand would need more practice than my backing.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #33
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I have the same problem. We've had our trailer 3 years and still I have issues backing up our trailer into our long narrow driveway with a 45 degree turn. If the trailer is lining up, our tow vehicle is ramming into the thick shrubs and I have made major scratches...sigh...All I can say is patience, persistence and go slow.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Not a solution for the OP, but just want to throw out another solution to backing up straight for anyone else perusing the topic: Get a Ford F-150 with backup assist. We’ve had our truck for two years now and I only just recently set this up for one of our trailers (a small utility trailer that is so small that it can’t even be seen behind the truck while towing. Back up assist works awesome! It does two things of noteworthy benefit: 1) it makes it impossible to jackknife, as it limits the angle of turn while backing to that which the specific trailer can maintain without the dreaded jackknife, and 2) if you release the “steering knob” the truck automatically straightens out and lines the trailer up perfectly straight, then keeps it there. Magic!
Old 09-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Not a solution for the OP, but just want to throw out another solution to backing up straight for anyone else perusing the topic: Get a Ford F-150 with backup assist. We’ve had our truck for two years now and I only just recently set this up for one of our trailers (a small utility trailer that is so small that it can’t even be seen behind the truck while towing. Back up assist works awesome! It does two things of noteworthy benefit: 1) it makes it impossible to jackknife, as it limits the angle of turn while backing to that which the specific trailer can maintain without the dreaded jackknife, and 2) if you release the “steering knob” the truck automatically straightens out and lines the trailer up perfectly straight, then keeps it there. Magic!
That takes all the entertainment away from fellow campers watching and waiting to be amused. Still wouldn't help with smacking a front end into a tree or running over a site marker post, though.......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
That takes all the entertainment away from fellow campers watching and waiting to be amused. Still wouldn't help with smacking a front end into a tree or running over a site marker post, though.......

True [emoji6]
Old 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #37

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
its kind of like watching a horse owner load a horse in a horse trailer when they don't know how. We had one who was using flags trying to steer her reluctant horse in the trailer - funny to watch as long as no one gets hurt!
it just takes practice to learn to back you have to adjust constantly with the little trailers to keep them straight. i put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel- hand goes left trailer will go left. Everyone has some trick- also relax go slow when its wrong straighten out do it again don't let people rush you and learn to use your mirrors. Its hard for most people!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the ford back up assist but now i have a 5th wheel doesn't work for a 5th wheel! So ive never used it!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
its kind of like watching a horse owner load a horse in a horse trailer when they don't know how. We had one who was using flags trying to steer her reluctant horse in the trailer - funny to watch as long as no one gets hurt!
it just takes practice to learn to back you have to adjust constantly with the little trailers to keep them straight. i put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel- hand goes left trailer will go left. Everyone has some trick- also relax go slow when its wrong straighten out do it again don't let people rush you and learn to use your mirrors. Its hard for most people!
The problem I have is not being able to tell if it is straight. But I have a lot of good ideas on how to do it and I'll figure something out that works. Campsites are a piece of cake after my garage. (Though after backing into a difficult one in the dark I bought four small lanterns to mark corners if I have to do it again.)
Old 10-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Casita SD (Those Escape 19b's sure are nice!)
I recently was complaining to a fellow Casita owner about my problems backing into and down a fairly narrow 60' campground pad in pitch black dark. He was a retired truck driver and said when he gets in a situation like that, he sets 8 or 10 battery LED lights (like the $3 HF ones) down both sides of the pad like a runway. You may be able to see a row of those inside your garage in your mirror(s)
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote