Backup camera on trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Backup camera on trailer

Anyone using a backup mirror on their trailer? I noticed someone was having one installed on their 21 and wondered about it. Could be useful from a safety standpoint and ease of backing into a space if traveling without a copilot. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For myself, I can't imagine every really needing one, BUT, there are some who feel they might be of benefit, and if they are to them, it is worth doing. Maybe a safety thing, but....

I always get out and check to see just where I want to spot the trailer, and look to see what obstacles there might be. As far as reversing goes with the trailer, I sure would not want to rely on a camera for direction, most I have seen have a fairly distorted view. I use my side mirrors, never turning my head, and rarely use a spotter, other than to watch out for near obstacles I can't see. If I don't have a spotter and there are obstacles, I am not too proud to get out and check to see where I am.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Trailer: none
We installed a Peak PKCORB camera for full time viewing behind the trailer. Had the same one on our previous 2 Scamps. It actually works better (less interference) on our Escape which does NOT have the Reflectix insulation.
We really like being able to see behind the trailer while driving.

We mounted the camera via suction cups to the inside of the back window of the Escape and the monitor to the back window of the truck cab. The transmitter is in the loft area of the trailer wired into one of the bedroom lights for power. The driver can just look in the rearview mirror and see the monitor.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have one on my 17. It is useful when backing, particularly to check "live" what has moved into your mirror blind spot (for example when you have to do a bit of backing in a gas station, etc.)

I also find it useful to see those idiots that like to tailgate, again, within the mirror's range. I don't find it all that useful for positioning in a campsite - I prefer to "get out and look".
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm not much concerned with what is behind the trailer, after doing a walk around. I'm trying to remember to keep that rock or tree in mind that I might hit with my front fender while manoeuvering the trailer.
So easy to be focused on where you're headed, and forget the obstacles that are beside the tow vehicle.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 19' Escape on order
I chose to have a backup camera installed on my 19 and tied into the running lights. That way I'll have a rear view mirror while driving down the road and will also have the assistance when backing up (I'm new to this trailer thing I'll be picking up my trailer Oct 7th, so will find out then if it meets my expectations.
Carol in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #7

Trailer: none
For us the use is primarily while driving. Seeing the traffic behind and watching for tailgaters. Backing is more efficiently done with a human spotter!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I consider myself a defensive driver. Use turnouts to let traffic pass and I found the best way to get tailgaters off my rear is to slow down. What I'd like is a parascope to see what's AHEAD. Debris in the road, animals and stopped traffic. I can't worry about what's behind me, it's the stuff I'm coming up on that I'm concerned about.

I too get out and look. Not just for stuff on the ground, boulders and trees... but, what's hanging down like branches that may scrape off a vent cover or A/C. For that, it's very important to know exactly how tall a trailer is and I wonder if most folks know precisely? Would a rear camera have a wide enough lens to show the overhead stuff?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
From a previous post here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...iler-2131.html

We are having great luck with this set up. Used it for 80 miles going through Salt Lake traffic on Wednesday. See mods on our web page below.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Thanks everyone for their input ! I love this site for the wealth of information and experience.