bal tire leveler or anderson 3604? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
bal tire leveler or anderson 3604?

I already have a BAL tire leveler from my Casita, and I was wondering if I should purchase another one or get 2 of the Anderson 3604 camper levelers. The BAL takes up a lot more room, but goes up above the 4" that the Anderson 3604 levelers do. Most campgrounds are fairly level, but California's state parks have some of the worst campsite maintenance issues and I have had to jack my Casita up above 4"on one side. The reason i'm asking is we are preparing to go to Chilliwack to pick up our 21 and have limited amount of room in the back of my Tacoma 6' bed. Price for 2 Anderson's is the same for one more BAL
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
BAL levelers are very heavy, sometimes require a bit of excavation to get under the tire, and the threaded rod on them have been known to fail. The Anderson's theoretically should last forever and are lighter. IMHO, the only advantage of the BAL is that the trailer can be levelled side to side without hooking up should the trailer "sink" a bit in sand after set up, or it can be tweaked at any time. However, that is probably an unlikely scenario. So in my mind, the Anderson wins out. But most places I camp do not require more than an inch or two of side to side correction, and given the conditions stated, amount of lift could be important.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:20 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used 2x of the B@l's on my 19 and worked fine, heavier but they also eliminate the need for the "X" chocks between the wheels as the leveler performs 2 functions, levels and stabilizes. Your decision....
Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
There's lot more clearance under my 21 than there was on my 17LD Casita (with high axle and 15 inch tires.) Anderson works great.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use the andersons and do run into the need ringing higher then the levelers allow. We also carry 2 short pieces of 1x8 pvc for those times. Have also had them sink and slide on us, so, we carry a strip of rubber mat for those times. With all that, we've had no situations we couldn't handle.

Had to cut a good chunk off 1 levelers to fit between the wheels.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Personally, I have gotten more use out of the lego blocks recently than my dual BAL set up. However, if I expected 4"/6"++ of slope, I'd pack the BAL's.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Anderson levelers

Purchased Anderson levelers last year, love them. Easy to use, lightweight, and take up a small amount of room. I can use them with one hand!
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Did you cut off a piece off your Anderson Leveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
There's lot more clearance under my 21 than there was on my 17LD Casita (with high axle and 15 inch tires.) Anderson works great.
Tractors1,

You have a 21' TT Escape, so did you have to cut off a piece of one of the Anderson Levelers to get it to fit between the two tires? I saw a post from padlin where he indicated he had done that on his 21' 5th wheel.

I currently use the Anderson Leveler on my 17' Casita and was going to purchase a 2nd one to use with our new 21' Escape.

Oops...I think I misspelled the name...it should be Andersen.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
If you first pull up onto a 1" block, you will have enough room to fit the Anderson between the wheels. I normally back the low side onto the 1" blocks, check the level. Then if I need more lift, Put in the Andersons and pull forward until level. To get off the Andersons, reverse the process. To be safe, we use the awning rod to pull the blocks from below the trailer. (those with the power awning won't have that rod)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used two of the B@l levers with my 19 but they are big and heavy, now go with Ramble wedge type leveler.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
we have the Andersons and we love them. l too carry a 2x6 about five feet long to add height if they are not tall enough. the 2x6 also gives them a wider footprint in soft ground. it sure is easy since the first thing we do is have my wife watch the rear level and just tell me when the trailer is level. Easy is good.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Correction, I think it is a 2x8.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I've (so far) never needed either. I generally just pivot my trailer to cross with the slope. In other words, if the slope is North to South, I park East to West. I have, on occasion, dug a shovel load of gravel out of the camp pad and backed into it then replaced the 'divot' on leaving. I also bring a 12 x 12 x 2 inch piece of wood I can back onto. Total cost...nothing really.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I really like the multi-funtion of the "Lego" type blocks. If the site is level, but a bit muddy or wet, I use them under the stabilizers. On an unlevel site I use them under the tire and then use the extras so that the stabilizers don't have to be extended as far. On a site that is unlevel front to back they help prevent needing to crank up the front jack to the max. Stored in their carry case they are farily light and easy to fit into storage places. I just ordered a second set to use with the twin axles on our upcoming 21.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My BALs are awesome for those times the site needs more than say 3" of correction.

I however like the ease of the legos at getting "close enough".
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote