Ball Height 1" Too High or 1" Too Low - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B (June 2016!)
Ball Height 1" Too High or 1" Too Low

Greetings from a long-time lurker who finally registered today. It's been almost a year since the order, and delivery day is just around the corner!
Will be picking up a 17B and understand the top of the ball should be 19" from ground. Will be pulling with a 2011 Toyota Highlander with the Weight Distributing Hitch. Went to get a hitch for the receiver and all I can find is a straight hitch (1" too high) and one with 2" drop (1" too low). Also, i"m measuring the ball height for the vehicle with the Highlander empty, Which ball should I use? I'm assuming the straight ball (1" too high) is the way to go.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Learned a ton from you folks so far!
ClearDitchRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Tis better to have the front end of the trailer a bit low then a bit high.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Just the tongue weight will make that 1" disappear pretty quick.

When ETI installs your WDH they will measure the distance to height of your front wheel well. Then they hook you up and adjust the WDH so that your tug sits level.

So I'd say you're fine with the 1" difference to start.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused, the w/d hitch comes with the stinger and is height adjustable is it not? I'm sure ETI will set it up properly if you are getting everything from them.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ditto.
There are maybe 5 holes in the WDH to adjust the height.
ETI does this on daily basis.
Relax.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearDitchRambler View Post
Will be pulling with a 2011 Toyota Highlander with the Weight Distributing Hitch. Went to get a hitch for the receiver and all I can find is a straight hitch (1" too high) and one with 2" drop (1" too low).
The way this is phrased, I am wondering if you are really planning to use a weight-distributing hitch (or WDH). WDH is not a feature of the tow vehicle - the Highlander just has a hitch receiver (into which you install either a WDH assembly or a ball mount); it can be used with a WDH, but does not include the WDH. It sound like you are looking at plain fixed-height ball mounts, which means not using a WDH.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Let ETI set up the weight distribution hitch for ya. I believe the WDH comes complete with the ball mount (the square part that fits into the receiver) specific to the WDH. We bought a used 19 and it took me a couple of hours to set up the WDH. Not hard but a bit of learning and second guessing. ETI does it all the time.

But, if the decision is to go 1" low or 1" high I'd go low. Shouldn't matter a whit for towing. But when setting up for the night without disconnection one can crank the jack, on the tongue, a little to make everything level. Easy to crank up a little, impossible to crank down. Works as long as the site is pretty level.

Let us know what you do.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B (June 2016!)
My thanks to all for the good and timely responses. It doesn't look like my earlier follow-up post was posted (or there will be 2 now!).

I was confused by an e-mail from Tammy that I thought said I needed to bring a 2" ball so I was looking for the right one. Sounds like the "Stinger" will be part of the package. Like one of you said, I can "relax".

Look forward to seeing you all on the road or camped off the beaten track someplace soon.

Enjoy your Memorial Day - remember those who gave their all for us!

Thanks Again
ClearDitchRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
I believe the WDH comes complete with the ball mount (the square part that fits into the receiver) specific to the WDH.
Yes. The combination of the part which goes into the receiver (usually called the "shank" in a WD system) and the part which bolt to it and holds the ball (usually called the "head" in a WD system) form the ball mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
But, if the decision is to go 1" low or 1" high I'd go low. Shouldn't matter a whit for towing.
A bit low is good for a single-axle. With a tandem-axle, a little bit high means more hitch load and (more importantly) more load on the trailing axle than the leading axle, which is better for stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearDitchRambler View Post
I was confused by an e-mail from Tammy that I thought said I needed to bring a 2" ball so I was looking for the right one. Sounds like the "Stinger" will be part of the package. Like one of you said, I can "relax".
A WD hitch is normally used with a 2-5/16" ball, so a 2" ball is a little unusual and if I were going to some random hitch shop for a WDH I might want to bring the right ball... but Escape deals with a shop in Chilliwack which has seen hundreds of Escapes, so I'm sure they'll have the right ball. That was presumably a bit in the e-mail that should have been deleted for you... if you are getting a WDH with the trailer.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
\

A WD hitch is normally used with a 2-5/16" ball, so a 2" ball is a little unusual and if I were going to some random hitch shop for a WDH I might want to bring the right ball... but Escape deals with a shop in Chilliwack which has seen hundreds of Escapes, so I'm sure they'll have the right ball. That was presumably a bit in the e-mail that should have been deleted for you... if you are getting a WDH with the trailer.
It is the trailers coupler that determines which ball is used not the WDH and in this situation Escape uses a 2" coupler.

Not unusually to see a WDH being using with a 2" ball. Lots of folks using WDH such as Fastway E2 that Escape sells as well as other brands such as Equalizer, Blue OZ etc using 2" balls. Andersen WDH actually comes with two balls a 2" & a 2 5/16"
Fiberglass Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
It is the trailers coupler that determines which ball is used not the WDH and in this situation Escape uses a 2" coupler.
Absolutely true. That's why Escape tells people (at least those not buying a WDH from them) to bring a tow vehicle equipped with a 2" ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Not unusually to see a WDH being using with a 2" ball. Lots of folks using WDH such as Fastway E2 that Escape sells as well as other brands such as Equalizer, Blue OZ etc using 2" balls. Andersen WDH actually comes with two balls a 2" & a 2 5/16"
It's certainly unusual anywhere I've been, but practices do vary by region. Looking around RV shows and showrooms, I've rarely seen any trailer with a 2" coupler that is tongue-heavy enough to have any need for a WDH, and it's even more rare to see anything other than a travel trailer with WDH; conversely, just about everything using a WDH has a 2-5/16" coupler... thus my comment that a 2" ball with WDH is unusual, but of course it is done.

The Andersen No-Sway doesn't use common balls (only their special ball-on-a-cone component), so they are required to make different parts for each ball diameter... and yes, they do offer it in 2" and 2-5/16". Lots of Escape owners use this, and of course have the 2" version.