Bears Hitch Setup - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 12:14 AM   #21
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Gay View Post
I understand your concern about clearance with the Andersen adapter turned rearward with a shortbed F150. As I went through similar planning a year ago I thought that 4" (actually an 8" total difference) was crucial to making things work. As I've towed the trailer over 4000 miles coming home with the adapter rearward, cab clearance has been fine. My Andersen hitch sits on a goose neck ball that is 25" behind the cab. The Andersen ball is offset to the rear 5" and attaches to the rearward facing adapter. I measured 2" from that point to the front belly-band of the loft for a total of 32" clearance. I believe Reace says 30" is sufficient.

I didn't realize a year ago how ETI's long pinbox could impact the sides of the truck bed with the Andersen adapter turned towards the front. I measured 31" from the kingpiin to the rear of the pinbox and that matches my 2017 bed opening to each side rail. Turned frontward the pinbox essentially becomes ;35" but turned rearward is only 27" I was very skeptical of the adapter turned rearward during orientation but ETI has been doing this for a while and that part of the setup worked. Sometimes we overthink things but more information is usually good along with some trust of those with experience.

My ongoing setup issue is getting the trailer to tow level and I will start another thread about it. My F150 is a 2017 4x4 with standard suspension and the 5.0TA doesn't have the high lift option. The front of the trailer was about 3" high at orientation but the truck only had about 5000 miles and they encouraged me to see how it sat after we got home before making any changes. 4000 miles later it still sat about 3" high. This pat weekend I relocated the pinbox to the upper row of holes on the trailer frame, essentially lowering the front 2.5". I've only done a little maneuvering in the yard but so far it looks like it will work better. I will post pictures on a separate thread when I have more time to test in various situations.
Hi Tom and Gay,
You are correct the center of king pin to back heel is 31" not 32" thank you.
ETI had recommend to us 30" minimum from back of cab to center of hitch back in October of 2016 when we drove up to Chilliwack. Glad to hear things are working out for you.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #22
Tin

SFDavis50,
I really like your pros and cons approach, it helps in determining what is important to each persons own circumstances. after reading 100's of post concerning 5'-6" bed there sure is a plethora of things to consider that is for sure. A nice flow chart approach for the varies hitch setups along with pertainant info. would be great.
and would save future customers a lot of grief.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
.....and would save future customers a lot of grief.
There are lots of hitches and setups that work fine, and grief only comes into play if you choose to stress over it.

A 5.5 or 6.5 box works just fine. Raised or standard axle height both work fine too. I chose a 6.5' box as I am used to an 8', and just did not want to lose capacity too much. I had a lift axle on my 19 which I felt was not needed at all, and chose not to get it on my 5.0TA and I drive on lots of undulating terrain in some places I camp, like at our own land. If others want the raised axle, that is fine, I just want those looking and learning now to know it is not a necessity, but rather a choice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #24
Tin

Hi Jim,
You are correct, there are many hitch setup that work fine with that said there are many hitch setup that do not work for each person. There are numerous amounts of personal decision one must make and take into consideration when choosing what is the best hitch setup for their personal circumstances and expectations. For you this process may be easy and stress free due to your personality, life experiences and personal knowledge of Escape trailers.

After reading 100's of post regarding hitches it became very clear to me that what works perfectly fine for one person does not necessarily work for others regardless of having identical tow vehicles and trailers. I also realized how many circumstances I never even considered because they did not apply to my own circumstances. For example some people aren't just purchasing a hitch for there new 5.0 TA, their purchasing a new truck, some are leasing while others are buying used and some all ready own a truck and want to make due, all four have different choices to make, vehicle make and model, gas or diesel, 2wd or 4wd, bed length, rail heights, brake controller, v6 or v8, Hp and torque, towing capacity, payload, tool box, tonneau cover, just to name a few.

Once you have made the above choices and think all is good in the world you then get to marry those choices with your hitch choice, standard or anderson, fixed hitch or sliding hitch, under bed gooseneck or bed rails, pin adaptor forward or backwards, hitch location in relationship to cab, hitch height, custom frame bracket or manufactories brackets, to drill or not to drill, local hitch shop or Trademaster ( my understanding is they are not doing custom bracket locations on F-150 ? ) ect.

Then there are the questions and circumstances that effect all of the above; will my local shop do custom bracket/location ?, can I install my own ? if my hitch is installed behind the axle how will this affect handling ? will this void my warranty ? will my tailgate hit the trailer ? should I get the high lift option on trailer ? can I tow on the hwy with my slider in the rear position ? will drilling my frame void my warranty ? will my new trailer hit my new truck with the hitch 25" from cab ? how will my wife/husband react should this occur

hen you combine the above along with your build sheet decision making , I think one could find them self's a wee bit over whelmed at times.
Tin.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #25
Tin

3-D Model 2017 TA

Hi all,
Had a little time to model Bear. All dimension +- 1/4" and are subject to verification ( measured be myself) so if you see something drastically wrong let me know. All measurements taken from LEVEL floor and LEVEL Trailer (bottom frame). Hope this helps enjoy.

Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
1. 2017 TA Side.PNG   2. 2017 TA Back.PNG   3. 2017 TA Front.PNG   4. 2017 TA Hitch.PNG  
Old 07-09-2017, 11:16 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA being ordered, currently 2001 16' Scamp
Bears Hitch Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
No desire for the 5.5 bed here Jim, just possession.

It's what I could get being a VERY early adopter of the 2015 and trying to get it before our trailer pickup at the factory.

When I turn it back in this coming March, I'll be leaving with a 2017 and a 6.5 bed.

And since I'm salivating over the 10 speed transmission, it'll probably be the 3.5L EcoBoost, even though I love our 2.7L.

Only other must haves are the 36 gallon fuel tank (so so nice) and an integrated brake controller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's what we have 2017 F150 6.5' Super Crew. 3.5L and 10 speed. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #27
Tin

2017 TA- Truck_Hitch Comb.

I have modeled in my truck and hitch dimensions. It may be helpful to those who are looking at trucks and hitch combos. After looking at new 2017 f 150's specifications I was surprised how high they are but more importantly the bed height and hitch height combo really need close considerations.
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 5.0 TA _ Truck Comb..PNG  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #28
Tin

2017 super crew xlt with 17 inch min. Hitch ht

After reviewing 2017 F 150 specifications sheets it is apparent the newer trucks pose height limitations,
there is a big difference between 4x4 and 4x2 height wise so take that into consideration.
These limitations are made worse by the use of hitches that are 17" min. height. Examples are Patriot 16k, Anderson Ultimate with rails and Anderson Ultimate gooseneck it would be advisable to consider carefully before purchasing these hitch with the newer trucks. A much better choice height wise are the 13" and 14" min. ht. hitches like Curt A 16k , Reece Pro 16k or the Husky 16k S. ect. Good luck and happy camping.
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 SUPER CREW XLT WITH 17 INCH MIN. HITCH HT.PNG   2017 SUPER CREW XLT WITH 14 INCH MIN. HITCH HT.PNG  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That's a very nice diagram Tin. I'm sure it will be useful for those considering a 5.0TA ad F150 combination.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my box height is 55" on my 2017 150 i was told that would be no problem.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #31

I'm confused it says 56" in the diagram. But i just measured it in Chilliwack at 55"
Old 07-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #32
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
my box height is 55" on my 2017 150 i was told that would be no problem.
Hi Fox hunt, 55" ht. is good just make sure to consider bed ht. plus hitch ht. ( hitch selection ) as this will determine the ability to level your trailer and truck combo.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #33
Tin

Quote:
I'm confused it says 56" in the diagram. But i just measured it in Chilliwack at 55"
56" inch is what is considered max truck height and relates to the bottom of the loft frame and top of bed rails, which at a minimum should be 6" clear.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #34

but my truck is a ford 4X4 150 5.5 bed 2017 so i guess your diagram worries me. I would like to buy the Anderson ultimate goose neck hitch. I'm hoping this will work. Otherwise i will buy the other hitch i would hate to have the Anderson installed and then find my trailer was not level?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #35
Tin

The bed height and rail heights are from Fords specification sheets, just like a trailer each truck is unique dependent upon option, rims and tires ect. best thing to do when looking at trucks is to measure bed and rail heights for that particular truck, truck squat will very also some say the 4x2 squat more than the 4x4. ?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #36

ok never heard of truck squat before. this hitch stuff has me a little worried probably over thinking it but my build sheet is done and the trailer is paid for so its the last thing for me to worry about!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #37
Tin

Quote:
but my truck is a ford 4X4 150 5.5 bed 2017 so i guess your diagram worries me. I would like to buy the Anderson ultimate goose neck hitch. I'm hoping this will work. Otherwise i will buy the other hitch i would hate to have the Anderson installed and then find my trailer was not level?
Hi Fox hunt, if your truck is 55" to top of rail then your bed height should be close to 33 1/2" from level floor ? does that sound right ?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
These limitations are made worse by the use of hitches that are 17" min. height. Examples are Patriot 16k
It's only an inch but...

From the Patriot 16k web page.
"Four vertical adjustments from 16" to 19""

Nice drawings by the way, this should help some folks.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #39
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It's only an inch but...

From the Patriot 16k web page.
"Four vertical adjustments from 16" to 19""

Nice drawings by the way, this should help some folks.
Hi Padlin, the rails are 7/8"
Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #40
Tin

Quote:
Assuming a 33.6" bed height and a hitch close to 17" min. ht.(Anderson)
33.6 + 17" = 50.6" (top of hitch)
50.6" - 1.5" truck squat = 49.1" (top of hitch)
49.1" - 47" bott. of king pin box = 2.1" (top of hitch in truck is 2.1" higher than bottom of king pin box on trailer)

If squat is 2" then trailer will be 1.6" nose high.
If squat is 1" then trailer will be 2.6" nose high.

If you choose a hitch that is shorter in height you will have the option to adjust the hitch higher to level your rig. hope this help
Tin.