Bears Hitch Setup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Bears Hitch Setup

Hi all,
I have decided to post my (pre-pickup) hitch set up work sheet with updated (post pick up) dimensions and added trailer info with the hopes it will help those with F-150 short beds ( 5'-6" beds) who are impaled by the horns of a hitch dilemma. There is allot of information that can be gleamed from this work sheet. My suggestion would be to print out this work sheet and white out my dimensions that do not pertain to you and insert your particular dimensions and info to help you come up with your personal hitch work sheet. Please keep in mind all dimensions are + - 1/4" and rounded and are subject to error, If you do find errors please share. All dimension are based off a 2011 Ford F-150 short bed and a 2017 5.0 T/A.

I absolutely do not recommend anyone follow my suit as the responsibility and liability are too much to bear. Custom Frame brackets are serious business and should only be performed by professionals as lives are at stake. Sincerely
Tin.
P.S. My understanding is from the axle back all F-150 are similar.
Attached Thumbnails
F-150 5-6 BED.PNG  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Not following the concern with the short box, as it seems to be getting folks all worried. Lots of folks now tow with the F150 short box, Reace included, and have no issue.

You are correct that both the 6.5' and 5.5' boxes are the same from the rear, the difference is all from the axle to cab measurement.

Seeing even the 6.5' box is so darn short already, I really don't see the desire for the 5.5' box. It certainly does not look better, especially with a SuperCrew cab.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with Jim. I think folks are worried about a non-starter issue.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Seeing even the 6.5' box is so darn short already, I really don't see the desire for the 5.5' box. It certainly does not look better, especially with a SuperCrew cab.
No desire for the 5.5 bed here Jim, just possession.

It's what I could get being a VERY early adopter of the 2015 and trying to get it before our trailer pickup at the factory.

When I turn it back in this coming March, I'll be leaving with a 2017 and a 6.5 bed.

And since I'm salivating over the 10 speed transmission, it'll probably be the 3.5L EcoBoost, even though I love our 2.7L.

Only other must haves are the 36 gallon fuel tank (so so nice) and an integrated brake controller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
Tin

Quote:
Not following the concern with the short box, as it seems to be getting folks all worried. Lots of folks now tow with the F150 short box, Reace included, and have no issue.

You are correct that both the 6.5' and 5.5' boxes are the same from the rear, the difference is all from the axle to cab measurement.

Hi Jim,
Would you or anyone else happen to know what hitch Reace is currently using ?
and what his back of cab to center of hitch dimension is ?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Several members have posted their concern with excessive length for their purposes (given where they drive and park, including their garage) with the longer box, especially with the crew cab.

Yes, people use the shorter box without problems. As Tin is planning, they set the pin behind the axle line; with sufficient rear axle capacity, this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Jim,
Would you or anyone else happen to know what hitch Reace is currently using ?
and what his back of cab to center of hitch dimension is ?
As I recall, Reace is using a Reese hitch on standard rails, mounted by their usual hitch shop (Trademasters in Chilliwack) so the pin is behind is behind the axle line... but I don't recall a specific dimension being published. You could ask Reace, or Trademasters.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #7
Tin

What's your Angle

Hi all,
This is for all you F-150 5'-6" bed lovers out there , just missing around with some angles.

Dwg #1 is an Anderson Hitch on rails with 5" offset towards tail gate and 4" pin adaptor towards cab.
center of rails is 25" from cab, center of pin is 26" from cab, and center of ball is 30" from cab (note this is the pivot point) the moment of impact is 60 degrees +- 5%.

Dwg #2 is a standard hitch or rolling hitch in the forward position. center of hitch is 25" from cab, the moment of impact is 55 degrees +- 5%.

Dwg #3 is a standard hitch. center of hitch is 34" from cab (note 34" is as far back as you can go before heel of pin box hits tail gate) the moment of impact is 85 degrees +- 5%.

As a side note if my desire for a tool box was not so great, I would have placed my hitch at 32" center from cab, but like Brian B-P has said many times before "Only with in your trucks specifications and capacity limits" especially payload.

Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
Anderson-cr25 -cp26-cb30-60 deg.PNG   Center.Hitch-25_55 deg..PNG   Center.Hitch-34_85 deg..PNG   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Old 06-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #8

Once again my thoughts are you are overthinking this. A long as it is a fun thing, and not a stressing thing, it is not that bad though.

You have not taken into account the front of the loft is not a square, the nose tapers in to 6-10 and there is also a 3" radius to the corner.

Yep, loving my already tiny 6.5' box.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

Quote:
You have not taken into account the front of the loft is not a square, the nose tapers in to 6-10 and there is also a 3" radius to the corner.
The rounded corners are obvious, but nothing in Escape's specs or descriptions suggests a taper... and in the many photos, I don't see the vertical line where the side walls turn inward; that might just be the lack of a good photo or a distinct transition point. Escape's floor plan seems to be to be intended to show interior configuration only, and is a rectangular box with rounded corners - no taper. I haven't seen the new 5.0TA body in person yet, only the old 5.0 (which didn't taper in plan view; it was only narrower in front due to the sloped walls of the classic design).

So, before the corner radius, the width of the loft (between the vertical walls) is 6'-10", which is 6" narrower than the main portion of the body? The windows in the loft are not parallel to the main side walls, but angled inward two or three degrees? The spaces between the mattress and walls in the loft are 3" narrower at the front than the back? If I understand correctly, it would be something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
5.0TAEscapeFloorPlan_tapered.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Tin, Do you have the high lift option on your 5.0TA? It looks like the belly band, which is the widest point is above the cab and if so there is more room due to the inward taper of the trailer below the belly band. Of course on uneven ground some of that is lost.

My concern is that ETI will mount the Anderson Coupling Block behind the king pin and I will lose the additional 4 inches. ( I ordered a set of rails (Reece 30124) which are supposed to mount directly over the axle 27" to cab but they shipped the other type of rails which mount 25" to the cab.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The rounded corners are obvious, but nothing in Escape's specs or descriptions suggests a taper... and in the many photos, I don't see the vertical line where the side walls turn inward; that might just be the lack of a good photo or a distinct transition point. Escape's floor plan seems to be to be intended to show interior configuration only, and is a rectangular box with rounded corners - no taper. I haven't seen the new 5.0TA body in person yet, only the old 5.0 (which didn't taper in plan view; it was only narrower in front due to the sloped walls of the classic design).

So, before the corner radius, the width of the loft (between the vertical walls) is 6'-10", which is 6" narrower than the main portion of the body? The windows in the loft are not parallel to the main side walls, but angled inward two or three degrees? The spaces between the mattress and walls in the loft are 3" narrower at the front than the back? If I understand correctly, it would be something like this:
Not trying to be cocky (okay maybe a little ), but being educated in surveying and actually doing lots of it, laying out and supervising the construction of many electrical substations, building a dozen homes, and doing 100's of renovations, I am quite confident with the use of a tape measure.

That and it is obvious looking at it too.

The measurement I took was at the belly band. The loft angles in a lot more at the top and bottom.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
Tin

Quote:

Brian B-P,
The vertical sides of the 2017 5.0TA are +- 85" @ the back of trailer and 80" @ front of loft. The bump out @ the belly ban is +- 1", giving you +- 87" back of trailer and +- 82" @ loft.
Tin.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Tin, Do you have the high lift option on your 5.0TA? It looks like the belly band, which is the widest point is above the cab and if so there is more room due to the inward taper of the trailer below the belly band. Of course on uneven ground some of that is lost.

My concern is that ETI will mount the Anderson Coupling Block behind the king pin and I will lose the additional 4 inches. ( I ordered a set of rails (Reece 30124) which are supposed to mount directly over the axle 27" to cab but they shipped the other type of rails which mount 25" to the cab.
No I do not have the high lift option and yes this should help you along with the curved cab of a F-150. How ETI will mount your Anderson I do not know, but I believe that is how they mounted Jim's and a few others (Coupling Block behind the king pin) maybe they will chime in. My understanding is the 4" Coupling Block mounted in front of the king pin acts more like a pin extender, bring the bottom of the pin box closer to the side rails. but like I said it would be better explained by some one who actually has one.Hope this helps you
Tin.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
The measurement I took was at the belly band. The loft angles in a lot more at the top and bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
The vertical sides of the 2017 5.0TA are +- 85" @ the back of trailer and 80" @ front of loft. The bump out @ the belly ban is +- 1", giving you +- 87" back of trailer and +- 82" @ loft.
Tin.
Thanks.
So while the current version of the other models have vertical sides, the 5.0TA still has slope, and a bit of taper (as I showed in my sketch) not evident in the angles of other photos that I've seen.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks.
So while the current version of the other models have vertical sides, the 5.0TA still has slope, and a bit of taper (as I showed in my sketch) not evident in the angles of other photos that I've seen.
Broadside, the tapering can't really be detected. From head on, and inside, it is more noticeable.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks.
Quote:
Broadside, the tapering can't really be detected. From head on, and inside, it is more noticeable.
And to be clear, this tapering, both vertical and horizontal is only on the loft, not the rest of the shell.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post

I understand your concern about clearance with the Andersen adapter turned rearward with a shortbed F150. As I went through similar planning a year ago I thought that 4" (actually an 8" total difference) was crucial to making things work. As I've towed the trailer over 4000 miles coming home with the adapter rearward, cab clearance has been fine. My Andersen hitch sits on a goose neck ball that is 25" behind the cab. The Andersen ball is offset to the rear 5" and attaches to the rearward facing adapter. I measured 2" from that point to the front belly-band of the loft for a total of 32" clearance. I believe Reace says 30" is sufficient.

I didn't realize a year ago how ETI's long pinbox could impact the sides of the truck bed with the Andersen adapter turned towards the front. I measured 31" from the kingpiin to the rear of the pinbox and that matches my 2017 bed opening to each side rail. Turned frontward the pinbox essentially becomes ;35" but turned rearward is only 27" I was very skeptical of the adapter turned rearward during orientation but ETI has been doing this for a while and that part of the setup worked. Sometimes we overthink things but more information is usually good along with some trust of those with experience.

My ongoing setup issue is getting the trailer to tow level and I will start another thread about it. My F150 is a 2017 4x4 with standard suspension and the 5.0TA doesn't have the high lift option. The front of the trailer was about 3" high at orientation but the truck only had about 5000 miles and they encouraged me to see how it sat after we got home before making any changes. 4000 miles later it still sat about 3" high. This pat weekend I relocated the pinbox to the upper row of holes on the trailer frame, essentially lowering the front 2.5". I've only done a little maneuvering in the yard but so far it looks like it will work better. I will post pictures on a separate thread when I have more time to test in various situations.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the same truck wondering if i should get high lift on my trailer?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I never.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
High Lift Option: Cons
1. Very slightly lower gas mileage. No idea how much.
2. Higher step to get into and out of the trailer.
3. Cost $300. CDN = $225. US
4. Overall higher trailer height = less clearance under branches, garage or storage building.
5. Bike rack will be 2.6" higher. (unless it is adjustable)
6. Electric jack will have to extend farther and so will the stabilizer jacks. (I bought the Anderson Jack Blocks to save wear on the electric jacks. Pricey and heavy but good quality.)

Pros:
1. Less bending down for dumping tanks, more slope for water to drain out.
2. Easier to crawl under the trailer.
3. Better clearance above truck side rails.
4. Less bending over for access to storage doors, water fill, quick connect.
5. More flexibility for leveling the trailer. ( Anderson ball has three adjustable heights)
6. Looks like the widest part of the trailer is above the truck cab so more clearance space if using a short bed truck.
7. Less worry when driving over badly rutted roads or campgrounds with uneven, rutted and tight climbing turns.

I pondered this for many months and decided to go ahead and get the High Lift option. My pickup date is in mid July so I haven't seen it yet but after finding out about the Anderson Kingpin Coupler Block reversed behind the trailer King Pin I am happy I ordered the High Lift option. One of my favorite campgrounds in Colorado has a twisting turn where the truck is leaning to the left while the trailer is leaning slightly to the right. No problem since I have been a tent camper but I thought of that road when deciding on the option.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote