Benefits/necessity of in-bed 7 pin plug? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Benefits/necessity of in-bed 7 pin plug?

Several forum members have re-routed their 7 pin plug to inside their pickup's bed. Is this a necessary modification or just more convenient? Since we're on the topic, what wiring harness is recommended for this mod?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Several forum members have re-routed their 7 pin plug to inside their pickup's bed. Is this a necessary modification or just more convenient? Since we're on the topic, what wiring harness is recommended for this mod?
It is not necessary, but it is definitely more convenient and neater looking, and I mean neat, not cool.
It took me about an hour to install, mostly to cut a hole in the wall of the truck bed (hole saw in a drill), and to wire tie the cables to the underside of the truck. It is all "plug and play," as you simply disconnect the cable from the existing outlet and insert the harness "inline." You can find the harness on eTrailer for @ $65.
The only caution is check the spacing between the inner and outer bed wall by checking from the underside of the truck to make sure the spacing between the walls is adequate for the outlet in the new harness. Because the harness is in "series" with the existing wiring, both outlets will be useable.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Convenience only.

Used this one, or one just like it. The original plug is still in place and working with the Y cable.

Pollak 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Trailer Connector Wiring Harness w/ T-Connector Pollak Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring PK11932

And a receptacle like this.

http://http://www.etrailer.com/Wirin...k/PK11893.html

Took a bit of fidgeting to get both to work correctly. Need a hole saw too.

I think they make them in 90 degrees too, might be easier clearance in the bed wall. too.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yep, I agree with Carl and Bob. Not necessary, but a bit more convenient and tidier too. This is the one I used. An hour tops to install for me too. Drill a hole for the connector, four holes for aluminum rivets to mount it (especially with the Ford aluminum body), crawl under and plug in the connections. Easy peasy.

5th Wheel/Gooseneck 90-Degree Wiring Harness w/ 7-Pole Plug - GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota - 9' Long Bargman Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 50-97-410
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Think I'd opt for the one Jim used over the one I did, no pins to mess around with.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Several forum members have re-routed their 7 pin plug to inside their pickup's bed. Is this a necessary modification or just more convenient?
I also installed the extra plug in the truck box, much easier than bending down to use the stock one. I added it because I noticed that the cable was abrading the paint on the edge of the tailgate.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I added it because I noticed that the cable was abrading the paint on the edge of the tailgate.
Now THAT's a great reason to have it in the box! Thanks.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Benefits/necessity of in-bed 7 pin plug?

Duh! It hadn't occurred to me that you could have a second connector inside the truck bed. Then my nephew got one on his truck. I had to have one. I love it!

(This assumes that you have a fifth wheel. I don't see a benefit if you have a tow behind.)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #9

Trailer: No more Escape 21
"the harness is in "series" with the existing wiring, both outlets will be useable."

How about being parallel instead . . .
Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Now THAT's a great reason to have it in the box! Thanks.
Stick with us Rich, we will find ways for you to validate spending lots, and lots of money.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
"the harness is in "series" with the existing wiring, both outlets will be useable."

Or it could be obtuse....
Old 11-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Quote:
Yes, electrically they are in parallel. I assume that Jim put "series" in quotes because he knows that, and was looking for a term to describe the two sections of wiring harnesses being chained together.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, I agree with Carl and Bob. Not necessary, but a bit more convenient and tidier too. This is the one I used. An hour tops to install for me too. Drill a hole for the connector, four holes for aluminum rivets to mount it (especially with the Ford aluminum body), crawl under and plug in the connections. Easy peasy.

5th Wheel/Gooseneck 90-Degree Wiring Harness w/ 7-Pole Plug - GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota - 9' Long Bargman Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring 50-97-410
So after reading this thread, I decided I wanted an in bed connection and ordered the Bargman harness as Jim referenced above. Jim's right, very simple install.. But,,,(seems there's always a "but") I have a 7 way to 4 way plug adapter I tried to plug into the new Bargman connector and it will not go in. My adapter is a Pollack brand and apparently Pollack and Bargman are incompatible. Does anyone know which brand of harness Escape uses on their trailers? Or do I need to purchase and provide the male harness that comes from the trailer?
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
So after reading this thread, I decided I wanted an in bed connection and ordered the Bargman harness as Jim referenced above. Jim's right, very simple install.. But,,,(seems there's always a "but") I have a 7 way to 4 way plug adapter I tried to plug into the new Bargman connector and it will not go in. My adapter is a Pollack brand and apparently Pollack and Bargman are incompatible. Does anyone know which brand of harness Escape uses on their trailers? Or do I need to purchase and provide the male harness that comes from the trailer?
I am not quite following this. I just removed the connector from the trucks plug (a 7-way nad a 4-way one on my truck), plugged one end of the Bargman harness into each side of the plug I disconnected, and all was good to go. The actually connection of the trailer plug was not at all affected.

The one I got was specific for my Ford with aluminum body.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...1-003-010.html
Old 12-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
First, I would ask if the Pollack 7 way to 4 way goes into the OEM plug on the truck. It should go into the Bargman; to the best of my knowledge, different manufacturers are compatible. I am assuming, maybe incorrectly, you are speaking of a small adapter that plugs into the 7-pin connector and allows you to plug a 4-pin connector into the adapter. The 7-pin umbilical on your trailer WILL fit into the Bargman connector of your in-bed harness, no adapter needed.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #16

The 7 way adapter does fit into the oem connection that came on my Tundra as part of the tow package. It will not fit into the new Bargman! The male terminals inside the Bargman are slightly wider than the terminals of the oem connection. So long as the harness from the Escape will fit the new Bargmam connection, all is well. However, the two connections are different.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #17

Here's what the manufacturer says about the Pollack connectors.

"Floating pins for ease of alignment and maximum contact"
Old 12-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
These connectors were originally built by Bargman, but have been a de facto industry standard for decades. That means there is likely no well-defined and universally accepted set of dimensions... but they're all close. There are slight variations by brand, but I've never heard of them being an issue before, so I wouldn't expect a problem with the Escape's plug.

I realize that the adapter is just being used to check the new receptacle in this case, but if there was any need for this type of adapter in the truck bed I would just get another one of a different brand (or another variant of the same brand). There's one which provides an accessory power socket... that could be handy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
These connectors were originally built by Bargman, but have been a de facto industry standard for decades. That means there is likely no well-defined and universally accepted set of dimensions... but they're all close. There are slight variations by brand, but I've never heard of them being an issue before, so I wouldn't expect a problem with the Escape's plug.

I realize that the adapter is just being used to check the new receptacle in this case, but if there was any need for this type of adapter in the truck bed I would just get another one of a different brand (or another variant of the same brand). There's one which provides an accessory power socket... that could be handy.
That's right, just checking the new receptacle with what I happened to have..and was surprised it didn't fit. Glad to hear Escape's plug will fit! I don't need a 4 way connection in the bed but that adapter with a 12v socket is a good idea.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Stick with us Rich, we will find ways for you to validate spending lots, and lots of money.
I somehow managed to miss this last pearl of wisdom Jim, you all sure have helped me a lot in that regard. (Just placed yet another order with e-Trailer ... ) The killer was the Personal Caddy for the Fold-a-Cover; more than half the price of the cover and shipping was an additional $122! Yikes. Oh well, can't take it with you, huh?