Best features to consider for fulltime rVing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Trailer: shopping for one
Best features to consider for fulltime rVing

HI,

Getting excited about the concept of full timing at some point in the future. I'd like to know what features has the community found to be most useful for a couple doing long extended trips in a 17B' or a 19' Escape?

Thanks,
Betsy
Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I found this blog (sarandipitytravels) to be interesting because it's a single woman fulltiming in a 17B. She made some mods that make it more livable long-term, but there's not much you can really do with the small amount of space in a 17B.

If there are 2 of you, better consider at least a 19'. Personally I would go as large as possible and go straight to a 21' if I was planning on living in it for months at a time.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Well we are picking up our 21 at the end of the month and starting to full time. We have set it up to be off the grid boondocking with things I have found over the years that helped us do that. We will keep you posted as it all unfolds. Last day of work was last Sunday!
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
Well we are picking up our 21 at the end of the month and starting to full time. We have set it up to be off the grid boondocking with things I have found over the years that helped us do that. We will keep you posted as it all unfolds. Last day of work was last Sunday!
Hi: Porsche Pilot... Welcome to the "Off the grid" living set. Seems to be the best way to rile the "Gubermints". They can't figure out a way to tax boondocking... at least not yet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We are excited about traveling full time in our 21. The delivery might be delayed a bit but we were planning on traveling in Canada for a month anyway.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Betsy, don't know how tall you guys are, but there is a difference in height between the 17 and 19. You might want to take that in consideration. As well as the size of the bathroom.
For both of you future full timers: I am totally jealous!! Enjoy every moment of it!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We are planning on full timing starting next Spring. Decided to go with the 21 for maximum space.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I find the size discussion interesting. There are many people who live in RVs full-time who would consider any Escape - even a 5.0TA - to be unworkably small for this purpose. Many of the buses which are converted to motorhomes have only two occupants, living in them full-time or close to it. On the other hand, there are couples who live full-time in trailers smaller than any current model of Escape. There's no one right answer here.

Space requirements are extremely dependent on lifestyle. Someone described one difference as "living in the trailer" versus "living out of the trailer": if you spend most of your time in the trailer, you will probably need much more space to move around and contain the things you are using than someone who does little more than sleep in the trailer and is out doing things most of the time. Where you cook would be a major consideration; what weather you're in (is it reasonable to be outside most of the time) would be another. Once you understand how you intend to live, you should have an idea of what features you need to live that way.

Space requirements also depend on personal characteristics. Some people are simply bigger than others, and so need more space. Tall people need more headroom; wide people need more aisle width and room to move in the bathroom. An Escape 19' has more room in every direction than a 17', because it is not just longer but also wider and taller; that extra volume means more headroom, bathroom space, aisle width, and bed size. The 21' is another step larger in length and width, and has the biggest Escape bathroom. The 17' may still be roomy enough for many people.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Last year I spent five months in my 21, and could have stayed in it indefinitely. I'm not particularly "outdoorsy" either-- I spent a lot of time inside the trailer. There seemed to be plenty of room for one person full-timing, and probably enough for two.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Last year I spent five months in my 21, and could have stayed in it indefinitely. I'm not particularly "outdoorsy" either-- I spent a lot of time inside the trailer. There seemed to be plenty of room for one person full-timing, and probably enough for two.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #11

Trailer: shopping for one
Wow now that's good to know. One wouldn't know that from looking at a floor plan. And I'm tall at 5'11".
Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Although we don't have our trailer (yet!), some things come to mind.

If you haven't already, contact ETI for owner names in your neck of the woods. Or ask on this forum. View the different sizes and visualize yourselves inside each one. Imagine your belongings in each one.

Where are you going with the trailer? Will you need the a/c or not? Solar panel or not? Outside shower or not?

For us, being comfortable inside the trailer was a huge concern and after sitting on a regular dinette vs the u-shaped, we went with the u-shaped. I like to read and this was the best option for that, as well as watching DVDs. And it would fit both of us, plus any cat(s) that will travel with us.

If you're going to full-time, I'd suggest watching as many episodes of Tiny House Nation (and similar) as you can. They sure get me to downsize stuff that's sat around for years and probably aren't needed. Even though we're not planning on living in a tiny house and/or full timing in our trailer, it does get you to think about stuff that's sitting around. So, um, yeah, that'll help you to downsize to full timing in a small trailer.

Good luck with your decision!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyRose View Post
Wow now that's good to know. One wouldn't know that from looking at a floor plan. And I'm tall at 5'11".
I'm 5'10", but a bit taller in my shoes/slippers. I had room to stand under the a/c unit inside the 21. Not a lot of room over my head but enough I didn't have to slouch down to walk around the trailer. If you don't get the a/c you'll have a few more inches of room.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm 5'10" as well and have no problems walking under the AC unit in my 19. Plenty of clearance. 5'11" won't make any difference.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
We are excited about traveling full time in our 21. The delivery might be delayed a bit but we were planning on traveling in Canada for a month anyway.
That's good news. You should explore SE BC. The monashees,Purcell and Selkirk mountain ranges are spectacular along highway 3.

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We got the 19 for eventual full/part time. Of everything I'd definitely recommend you get the solar and twin 6v. Once you get on the road, budget management becomes a big issue for full-timers and the ability to go to any campgrounds or BLM land for free and not worry about having utilities really helps keep living costs down significantly. $30 to $50 a night adds up and it's nice to be able to average it out with free to $10 campsites some of which are incredible.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We got the 19 for eventual full/part time. Of everything I'd definitely recommend you get the solar and twin 6v. Once you get on the road, budget management becomes a big issue for full-timers and the ability to go to any campgrounds or BLM land for free and not worry about having utilities really helps keep living costs down significantly. $30 to $50 a night adds up and it's nice to be able to average it out with free to $10 campsites some of which are incredible.
Yes, and I would add to the 6vs and solar that the 1500w inverted could be handy. Depends on whether someone wants to use high-draw items such as a hair dryer, coffee maker or microwave.

The exterior shower can also be handy including for cleaning the trailer or other things.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Seems like a good forum to ask about electrical. I plan to do a lot of boondocking on National Forest land and campsites with no hookups. I want the solar with the 2 6v batteries but I do NOT want an inverter or air conditioner.
My camping will be in higher altitude and northern parts of the country so a home made swamp cooler or ice bucket air conditioner with a 12v fan should work well enough if it gets too hot. So, without the expensive 120v products do I really need a $350.00 surge protector? Will it protect the 12v system and solar system or just the refrigerator when hooked up to shore power? I suppose if I was getting the A/C I would want it but I'm not sure what it really protects.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The EMS is basically a 120v system and protects against bad wiring and over/under voltage which would impact 120v appliances. The a/c, the converter, and the refer all use 120v, so using 12v should limit your exposure to harm. I have used one of those 12v ice callers, but with camping at high altitudes you may be able to find a natural source of ice.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You don't need the surge protector if you are only boondocking. I wouldn't hook up to shore power without one though. You might consider getting an external surge protector for those rare times when you might connect to shore power. They have a little box with a 30 amp receptacle and a pig tail with a 30 amp male plug. Good ones can be had for under $100.