Best tow vehicles for 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Trailer: Escape
Define the primary use of the vehicle (towing, hauling, passenger capacity, etc.)Secondary consideration should be towing capability. Thirdly how much are you willing to spend.
Knowing the type of vehicle that meets your needs and cost. Drive all the vehicles that meet these requirements. If you have narrowed down the search,try to rent the vehicle you desire for a road trip. Lastly use Consumer Reports to determine what you should be paying for the "ideal" vehicle that fulfill your needs. If a pickup meets you needs (regular, extended, crew cab: regular, short, long beds),you will find that most of the pickups have the same ammenities as passenger cars or suv's

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Tow vehicle

I used a couple of the 5.4 Ford super crew to tow a 17' casita, single axle, 3000# trailer all over the west including Colorado passes. It was a good vehicle for everyday use and I could carry full sized bikes in the bed when towing. The only problem was the 12 mpg when towing as I drive and the over all length. Next I tried a Honda Ridgeline towing the same 3000#, still 12 mpg towing and a lot of 4 to 5000 rpm over hills. The honda was also nice and a couple of main seals leaked, probably due to the high rpm. It was also a foot and a half shorter than the Fords. When I ordered the Escape 19, I needed more torque and considered several SUV types, mostly with diesel and high prices, then someone sent me to the Jeep dealer. After one drive and info about the unit I saved many thousands and took it home. It is three feet shorter than the super crews, gets much better mileage as stated earlier and I can be doing 70 at the end of the on ramp while towing 3800#. I believe the hemi design and the shutting down cylinders using newer tech must have something to do with it since the Jeep weighs several hundred more than the Fords did. Hope this info helps you decide on a TV.
Jack of Tucson (with small amount of the white stuff on the hills behind the house)

azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
We tow with a V6 4WD Tacoma with the automatic, and really like it. We're getting 16 or 17 MPG with it, and usually drive in 4th gear rather than the overdrive 5th. With a 2" drop drawbar, we're able to run with the trailer level. We're not using a WDH, and we use a Prodigy brake controller.

The truck's rated capacity is 6500#, which seems to me to overstate what I'd be comfortable with. Having said that, we've found the truck is capable of handling all the mountain passes we've driven in Alberta and BC, with just the occasional downshift into third (which has the engine doing 3,000 RPM at 80km/hr).
Fraser & Wendy

19 Escape/Tacoma
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
I use a Nissan Xterra Offroad 4x4. Rated at 5000# towing. My choice as an all purpose toy/ fun / fishing / scuba / biking etc. truck. Second only to my Toyota 4Runner ( '96) as a superb offroad fishing truck.
Pulls the 19 just fine. I live on a mountain - goes up without an issue. This model comes with a transmission cooler. Good value as a basic SUV.
Port Moody, BC
2012. Escape 19
2012 Xterra 4x4
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Trailer: 17B 2017
I don't know anyone who drives down the highway at 80km/hr

gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote