Best Towing Vehicles for a 17B or 19' Escape - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Selecting the best tow vehicle seems to me to be a pretty easy decision with really only one correct solution. The FJ Cruiser is the one. Unfortunately they are no longer sold new in North America but there are still some good used ones out there.
Well Dave, if you're going to commit, commit. Another question answered. [emoji23]
Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Selecting the best tow vehicle seems to me to be a pretty easy decision with really only one correct solution. The FJ Cruiser is the one.

Quote:
Unfortunately they are no longer sold new in North America but there are still some good used ones out there.
Or you could import one from Australia, if you can get around the importation rules and don't mind driving from the wrong side of the vehicle. Then there's the Middle East (I don't know what countries)...

Mechanically, a previous-generation 4Runner is the same as an FJ Cruiser, and a GX 470 is the same thing but with a V8 engine. The current 4Runner and LX 460 are very close (but again there's the engine difference). Of course none of these alternatives have the very short rear overhang (which is good for towing) or the outside-mounted spare tire (which is not so good).

It looks like there will likely be FJ Cruiser enthusiasts for quite a few years. Between that demand, and low supply (less than one thousand sold a year for the last five years of sales in Canada), they won't be a cheap used deal for a long time!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We get 12 mpg westbound and 13mpg Eastbound on mostly highway driving our 2011 RAV4 v6 while towing a 17B with AC. at 65 mph. We had hoped for better. This is over 8000 miles roughly.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I get about the same. I try to keep speed down to 90 KPH ( 56 MPH ) but usually creep up to 100 KPH ( 62 MPH ). Only real way to save fuel is to slow down.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We get 12 mpg westbound and 13mpg Eastbound on mostly highway driving our 2011 RAV4 v6 while towing a 17B with AC. at 65 mph. We had hoped for better. This is over 8000 miles roughly.
Slow down to 57MPH & you may get 15MPG. That was my average over 76,000 miles towing a 3010 lb 17B with a 2010 RAV4 Sport.

I'm now towing with a 2016 Tacoma Off Road, and over the last trip of 1000+ miles I'm down to 13.5 MPG towing at 60MPH.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well Dave, if you're going to commit, commit. Another question answered. [emoji23]
No problem, Robert. Giving "the" answer comes very easy to me. If you have any really difficult questions for which you require "the" answer, feel free to ask. No guarantees that you will like what I have to say.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
Weight distribution system or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
Like Iowa Dave we get 14 mpg with our 2011 Highlander and Escape 19 and have towed the trailer with this vehicle for about 25,000 kms. I think as long as you meet the towing capacity requirements of your vehicle, perhaps with a bit of a buffer, you will be fine. Anything more in towing capacity is more about the towing experience than ability.
Wondering if you use a weight distributing hitch or anything to reduce rear end sag on your Highlander? I'm thinking of ordering a 17A to be pulled by my 2016 Highlander Limited (with tow package) . . . totally confused about whether I'll need weight distribution system or something to bolster rear suspension.
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
Wondering if you use a weight distributing hitch or anything to reduce rear end sag on your Highlander? I'm thinking of ordering a 17A to be pulled by my 2016 Highlander Limited (with tow package) . . . totally confused about whether I'll need weight distribution system or something to bolster rear suspension.
It's not necessarily about sag than steering and handling. Our Touareg can take 660 lbs on the hitch which is probably twice what the 17B puts on it, but weighting the back UN-weights the front which makes steering vague and light. We use the basic $350 WDH ETI sells as an option with our 17B and I like it alot. Yes, I would and could get by without a WDH, but I like the handling improvement and towing experience with it.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
For the original question keep in mind that towing gas mileage isn't necessarily proportional to rated gas mileage. Big lazy V8s in large trucks tend to see a smaller MPG drop when towing compared to smaller vehicles with turbo engines, so it kind of evens out.

That said, newer is generally going to be better, and diesel will get you better MPG than gasoline (though if the fuel's more expensive it may even out).
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:29 AM   #50

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

Our Honda Pilot gets 13mpg average towing our 19'. Unhitched we get 24 for running around. Perfect for us since we travel to a congregation, park for a week, and then drive to the next. While parked we do normal things like shopping and touristing and such.

Vehicle sports the most comfy seats I've ever experienced!

Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
With the Highlander we use the standard Escape provided hitch( option) I like the downpressue it puts on the front wheels. We're running 450 lbs tongue weight and 3680 trailer weight on the 2010 Escape 19. I've pulled the Escape around the property and out onto the highway a few miles here and there without it and I can feel the difference and much prefer the WDH.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whiting View Post
I agree. When looking for a tow vehicle for our "on order" Escape 19, we wanted an SUV with 2 rows of seats and excellent towing ability to handle mountain driving. The only options were luxury models. I looked for a slightly used Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package. I finally found one which was a year old with 27,000 km, and a purchase price of $42,000 CDN. This was $27,000 CDN less than the original invoice to the previous owner (I bought from the same dealer and they showed me the paperwork). It has the luxury features (heated and vented leather seats, etc) that we did not really need.

We have been very pleased with the Grand Cherokee as a tow vehicle and have spent over 130 days in the trailer in the 14 months that we have owned it. It handles the "ups and downs" of mountainous areas very well. And we have discovered that vented seats are great in the summer heat!

So getting back to the initial post - when considering a tow vehicle, consider a slightly used vehicle to get the tow features you want at an affordable price.
What size engine do you have in your Cherokee and witch Model?
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #53

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We use an Anderson WDH with our Highlander/19 combo. The WDH reduces rear sag by a couple inches and makes the towing much more stable. I have towed boats of similar length and weight without a WDH and the Highlander and find the WDH makes a big difference for this vehicle and wouldn't tow an Escape 19 any significant distance without one. I don't think it matters which brand of WDH to use.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Good Service

Regardless of the tow vehicle you choose, I cannot stress too much, the regular maintenance of the vehicle. I took the 2012 Toyota Highlander into my dealer on Monday. While nothing was wrong ( it's been absolutely trouble free) I got to thinking about the serpentine belt that drives many of the major components ( alternator , AC etc.) I have 143,000 miles on the vehicle so I figured it would be well worn. The service tech came out to the waiting area to tell me it was in great shape. I had him change it anyway. I kept the old belt just in case something that had fallen off another vehicle and was on the road happened to hop up and cut mine if I was in a remote area sometime. The last time I dealt with a serpentine belt was when one snapped on a Chevy at 80,000 miles I had to change it at night, with a flashlight for light in 18 degree weather. Here's a couple of photos of the Toyota belt with 143,000 miles on it. Not a shred, crack or split to be found. The new belt at Toyota only cost $53. I really like the Toyotas.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2145.jpg   IMG_2143.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #55

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
One of the vendors we spoke to had one that he estimated was about 1,000 lbs over GVWR with all the stuff he put on it. He was fretting a bit over gas mileage though!
exceeding the GVWR by 1000 lbs!
Is this fairly routine to exceed the GVWR?
This camper has wondered about the GVWR rating from vehicle mfgs..wondering how conservative if any that rating is for various vehicles...this might be interesting if say a vehicle mfg de-rated for the GVWR perhaps by 10% of the true GVWR (meaning stuff seriously starts going bad)...or is the competition for ratings so competitive that ratings are actually that with no allowance....

also wondering about loads that exceed GVWR but that are not static meaning they change over time and not consistently over GVWR...for example Fuel weight as it varies or an extra temporary passenger weight....so does it really harm the vehicle or have the mfgs taken this into account in the design and sticker GVWR...can see where mounting equipment that will always put one overweight might be an issue, but wondering about dynamic weights.

saw a ford expedition sitting in a Wally World the other day pulling a 26+ non-fiberglass trailer..a family of four with oversized adults...the Expedition with stuff in the back was dragging ass just sitting in the parking lot and occupants not even it. By the looks of it they have many miles with that configuration...that GVWR has got to be exceeded....for all you experienced trailer haulers would you guess that this is common behavior to apparently exceed GVWR for extended periods....

any thoughts?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Regardless of the tow vehicle you choose, I cannot stress too much, the regular maintenance of the vehicle. I took the 2012 Toyota Highlander into my dealer on Monday. While nothing was wrong ( it's been absolutely trouble free) I got to thinking about the serpentine belt that drives many of the major components ( alternator , AC etc.) I have 143,000 miles on the vehicle so I figured it would be well worn. The service tech came out to the waiting area to tell me it was in great shape. I had him change it anyway. I kept the old belt just in case something that had fallen off another vehicle and was on the road happened to hop up and cut mine if I was in a remote area sometime. The last time I dealt with a serpentine belt was when one snapped on a Chevy at 80,000 miles I had to change it at night, with a flashlight for light in 18 degree weather. Here's a couple of photos of the Toyota belt with 143,000 miles on it. Not a shred, crack or split to be found. The new belt at Toyota only cost $53. I really like the Toyotas.
Dave
have been carrying a spare serpentine in all vehicles and the wrench required to put on for years..perhaps never having one break this has at least been good karma..have seen other unhappy drivers though that did not have good karma!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
have been carrying a spare serpentine in all vehicles and the wrench required to put on for years..perhaps never having one break this has at least been good karma..have seen other unhappy drivers though that did not have good karma!
If tires age out, do serpentine belts also age out?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
have no facts to say one way or the other.... guessing that an unused spare tire would age due to environment and being under pressure...the spare serpentine in the last truck looked factory new after many years, but no way of knowing if it was too aged to use. The unused spare on the same truck did look aged after a few years. For either the spares might get you to the auto shop.. while not having the spares would certainly not get you there...and as always there are other things that could go wrong for which there might be no spare, but each user can determine the practicality of having a spare and the probability of using it.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Great minds think alike. Just did mine at 140,167 Kms $40.85 for the belt and $35. to change it... and that's "Brass bucks". I didn't keep the old one though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Hi: gbaglo... A good "Belt" never does anybody any harm... now and then!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote