Bike racks and tongue weight - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
On the Astro, I think the studs either pulled away from the metal or the metal ripped out where they were welded. Been a long time and can't remember exactly. The issue with unibody is that you don't have the beef for a concentrated load like a bolted in receiver and WDH. The hitch was properly adjusted and tongue weight was within spec. Spring bars were lightest at 550 lbs as I remember. After I ran bolts up through the floor never had an issue. Why I like full frame for towing.

Hey Carl,
I drive an '03 Astro AWD van for my work truck. Its not a unibody construction. If you would crawl under it there is what looks like a full framed pick up frame there ..... well maybe someone did a frame switch on me ... If so I'd like to thank them as its been the most sure footed vehicle that I have ever driven.

Tom

Old 02-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hey Carl,
I drive an '03 Astro AWD van for my work truck. Its not a unibody construction. If you would crawl under it there is what looks like a full framed pick up frame there ..... well maybe someone did a frame switch on me ... If so I'd like to thank them as its been the most sure footed vehicle that I have ever driven.

Tom
It's been 20 plus years since my 88 Astro. Hard to remember. Good vehicle for us and 3 boys. I think it has a partial frame as someone earlier mentioned. At any rate, where the receiver is mounted was not a heavy frame and the front mount failed. Great vehicle with a grunt of a chopped off small block. Pulled our 4000 pound HILO up and down some pretty serious mountains.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I drive an '03 Astro AWD van for my work truck. Its not a unibody construction. If you would crawl under it there is what looks like a full framed pick up frame there ..... well maybe someone did a frame switch on me ...
Tom - try looking under the rear end, not the front. I'm pretty sure you'll see the unibody structure, as in this photo; that's what I've seen, on Astros built after 2003, but of course I haven't seen yours. The front subframe is long, but just goes to the rear end of the transmission... or if you do have a full frame find out who did it and send him to my place - I could use a free custom fabricator.

The Chevrolet brochure for the Astro when it was new has a reasonable exploded drawing showing the front subframe, and no separate frame in the rear. Of course, Chevrolet could have radically redesigned the structure of van - without changing anything on the exterior - just before discontinuing the model, and other Astro owners didn't realize it... but I don't think so.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote