Brake Controlers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Trailer: 2010 Escape 15
Re: Brake Controlers

A few years ago some friends were crossing with their rig and they had a slip tank, the Canada side told them that for the fuel to be none taxable it had to be part of the fuel system of the vehicle. His was not so he went back to the States side, bought the supplies and tee'd a line from the fuel tank into the fuel line then crossed without any issue. Maybe you should check this out before going across for fuel.

WRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
Re: Brake Controlers

Here in the Yukon, to buy gas in Alaska, $3.50 @ gallon, you are OK if you are out of Canada a minimum of four days.

I made a trip to Fairbanks last year to visit freinds, and stayed a week.
I had a 100 gallon slip ank (Tidy Tank) in the back of the truck, before I came back to Whitehorse I filled the tank.

Just before the border, at Beaver Creek is another gas station I did not notice when we went into Alaska, who were selling gas for $3.00 @ gallon if you paid cash, so I topped up the truck.

When I got to customs they asked me two questions, Where do you live and how long have you been in Alaska.

I responded one week and was told have a safe drive home.

Later on I asked the head of customs here why I did not have to pay duty on the gas and was told because I was out of Canada more than four days, Had I been out less than four days the gas would have cost more than if I had purchased the gas in Whitehorse.

The tank was to large for my truck (Short Box) so I designed a tank and had it made by a pressure welder here.
We made a trade, he made me the tank I Designed and I gave him my Tidy Tank.

Fuel stops on the Alaska Highway can be few and far between in summer and in winter most of them shut down, so you have to be prepared for long hauls between fill ups.

You also have to be polite when you get gas and not complain about the cost, you will be told to go some where else if you do not like the cost, and there just isn't any where else.

Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote