Brake Controller on 2016 Tacoma - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Brake Controller on 2016 Tacoma

Has anyone installed a brake controller in a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad? The connector inside the cab was easily located under the dash just left of the steering column. I ordered a wiring harness that was supposedly compatible. I thought the whole process was going to be amazingly easy. WRONG

The harness connector did not fit the one in the truck. Now I can't seem to locate the correct configuration connector anywhere. I need help. I'll be picking up my trailer from ETI the end of October so I obviously don't have a lot of time. Thanks very much to anyone that can help solve my problem.
kmk7580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Trademasters located in Chilliwack can probably help, call them and they will do it while you wait for your new trailer.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk7580 View Post
Has anyone installed a brake controller in a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad? The connector inside the cab was easily located under the dash just left of the steering column. I ordered a wiring harness that was supposedly compatible. I thought the whole process was going to be amazingly easy. WRONG

The harness connector did not fit the one in the truck. Now I can't seem to locate the correct configuration connector anywhere. I need help. I'll be picking up my trailer from ETI the end of October so I obviously don't have a lot of time. Thanks very much to anyone that can help solve my problem.
First question: Which end doesn't fit? The truck end or the brake controller end?

Second question: What model of brake controller are you using?

Knowing that, it should be easy to find the right adapter on ETrailer or a similar site.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
The 2016 Tacoma uses the Tundra Brake controller cable. Go to Toyota parts counter and see if they got one .
Old 09-19-2016, 01:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As already noted, the wiring harness is specific to the controller on one end, and specific to the truck on the other end... so more description would help.

As Robert mentioned, eTrailer is really handy for this sort of question. I note that when you go to their site, specify a 2016 Tacoma, and look at available brake controllers for that Tacoma, each is offered with a suitable adapter cable and for Tekonsha controllers it shows the Tekonsha adapter for the 2015-2017 Tundra, which is noted as also fitting the 2016 Tacoma. The comments on eTrailer's page for that harness suggest that some other suppliers may still be listing an older style of connection, having missed the change in 2015 (for the Tundra) and 2016 (for the Tacoma) to a new style.

If Toyota offers a wiring harness to plug into the existing under-dash port for the controller, it would presumably just end in four wires that you would need to splice to the wires in the harness provided with the controller. That's not very difficult, but it would certainly be preferable to buy one ready-made harness which plugs directly into the truck and directly into the controller. I think only the brake controller manufacturer will offer this sort of ready-to-use harness.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, this cable adapter is the one I used for my 2016 Tacoma Off Road. I installed it in the "cubby" to the left of the steering wheel:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0323.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We are getting a 2017 Tacoma which is the same truck in two weeks and I had the same question. I found this utube video:

AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

All of the specific adapter references have assumed a Cequent (which includes Tekonsha and Draw-Tite brands) brake controller. If it's a different brand of controller you will need a different connector on the controller end, but it would still help to know which other Toyota models and years use the same one.

We found different adapter harnesses from eTrailer:
3017-P:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I note that when you go to their site, specify a 2016 Tacoma, and look at available brake controllers for that Tacoma, each is offered with a suitable adapter cable and for Tekonsha controllers it shows the Tekonsha adapter for the 2015-2017 Tundra, which is noted as also fitting the 2016 Tacoma.
3040-P:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, this cable adapter is the one I used for my 2016 Tacoma Off Road.
These are both by Tekonsha and clearly different, as apparent in the photos of the vehicle end and confirmed by the drawings in the associated installation manuals. I might ask eTrailer what is going on, since the 3040 model obviously fits the 2016 Tacoma (and older Sequoias and Tundras judging from the photo in the instructions) if that's the one Jon meant to link, but eTrailer says the 3017 fits current Tacomas (and Tundras).

The Tekonsha site - a better reference for their specific products - shows the 3017-P as the correct adapter for their controllers in any variation of a 2016 Tacoma (and only current Tacomas and 2015-up Tundras). Tekonsha also says that the 3040-P is for the previous style of Tacoma (and a wide variety of other Toyota/Lexus models and years).

Jon, are you sure you used the 3040-P, and not the 3017-P?
Edit: See Jon's response below - he did use the 3017-P, not the 3040-P

I would buy the one that looks like it matches my truck's connector. If unsure, they're fifteen bucks each... buy both.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I probably linked to the wrong one - I am using the 3017-P. It is too late for me to go back & correct the link. It is rather interesting that eTrailer lists both for the 2016 Tacoma...
Old 09-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I probably linked to the wrong one - I am using the 3017-P. It is too late for me to go back & correct the link. It is rather interesting that eTrailer lists both for the 2016 Tacoma...
Thanks Jon.
If you search in eTrailer for the harness for a 2016 Tacoma you get the right one (the 3017-P). Unfortunately the web site can also incorrectly generate a description of the 3040-P showing it as for a 2016 Tacoma... I don't know how you would get there, but it can be done.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
My Tacoma Brake Controller Problem solved

Thanks to all of you that responded to my posted problem. Emily at etrailer.com straightened me out. It turns out that I found a connector under my dash left of steering column but it was not the correct one for a brake controller. I have no idea what it's for.

Here's Emily's reply:
The plug in your truck is going to be to the left of the steering column beneath your door and ac buttons, you should be able to pull down the plug without taking off the kick panel but if you cant reach it the kick panel on the left will pop right off.

I finally found the connector where she described and everything is now working fine. The Tekonsha wiring harness for the 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad is the 3017-P.
kmk7580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #12

Ok, since we're on the subject....where did you put the ground wire for the controller? I'll be going thru this in a few days on a 2017 Tacoma SR5. All your suggestions, info and pictures give me confidence I can do this. Just need to know where to ground it at.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 17
There was no ground wire on my P3 harness.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #14

It's an old thread but there are 2 toyota harness choices. Like the OP I got the wrong harness too on the left. Factory tacoma under dash plug is on right.
Attached Thumbnails
P3 harness.jpg  
Old 07-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
It's an old thread but there are 2 toyota harness choices. Like the OP I got the wrong harness too on the left. Factory tacoma under dash plug is on right.
Yes, mine is the larger, squarer one. It came with a ground wire; white with a round metal washer thingy attached to the end of the white wire.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #16

Yeah I thought it was kinda odd. I've done other P3 installs and the harness has had the ground wire like you describe. This recent one did not, but works fine. I think I got it from etrailer, can't remember for sure. I sure do enjoy that brake controller and the ESP truck mounting plate. They offer a whole dash insert for the Tundra. Hope you do OK on your install this weekend. I've got family north of you in Lehi.
https://www.esptruck.com/product-pag...r-mounting-kit