Breakaway switch cable - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Breakaway switch cable

Our breakaway switch cable came from ETI a few inches longer than our safety chains. Seems to me that if the trailer comes loose from the hitch, but the safety chains hold, I would want the trailer brakes to trigger. That’s not likely if the chains are shorter than the switch cable. Am I wrong I thinking that I need to shorten the cable or wrap it so that it is shorter than the chains?
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some people thread the cable through the chains to shorten as well as insure that weight on the chains should activate the brakes.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There are two schools on this. The first thinks like you do, that should the trailer come off the hitch the brakes would activate pulling it to a stop and not allowing the trailer to swing about causing any further problems. The second sees it as a last resort and that if your chains should break, it would stop the now loose trailer from rolling too far.

I am in the first camp. Other than the full brakes on scenario, it will not cause any issue with stopping and being in control. As well, the trailer will no ram into the rear of the tow vehicle. Besides, has anyone heard of both the trailer coming decoupled under tow AND the chains breaking?

With my 5.0TA if somehow it came decoupled, the tailgate would be a goner for sure either way.

The cable is left long enough for any circumstance, and if you wish to shorten it most any hardware store has the crimps to use to do so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks, Jims!
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Perhaps more relevant than the relative lengths of the breakaway cable and the chains is the relative lengths of the breakaway cable and the electrical cable.
  • If the electrical cable is pulled out, the breakaway cable should to be pulled to activate the brakes (even if the safety chains are still attached), so you don't have a trailer without brakes.
  • If the electrical cable is still plugged in, you can use the trailer brakes by the normal methods (automatically with tow vehicle braking, or manually with the lever on the brake controller).
So, shorter than the electrical cable makes sense to me, aside from the chains issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Perhaps more relevant than the relative lengths of the breakaway cable and the chains is the relative lengths of the breakaway cable and the electrical cable.
  • If the electrical cable is pulled out, the breakaway cable should to be pulled to activate the brakes (even if the safety chains are still attached), so you don't have a trailer without brakes.
  • If the electrical cable is still plugged in, you can use the trailer brakes by the normal methods (automatically with tow vehicle braking, or manually with the lever on the brake controller).
So, shorter than the electrical cable makes sense to me, aside from the chains issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems I read some where that if the break away switch is triggered while the electrical cable is still attached to the tow vehicle it can damage your brake controller. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems I read some where that if the break away switch is triggered while the electrical cable is still attached to the tow vehicle it can damage your brake controller. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

My break away switch triggered but no harm came to the controller. Controller is still in use today.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Yes, it's possible, although it takes just the right (or wrong ) combination of conditions. If my trailer rips right off of my tow vehicle, I'm okay with considering the brake controller disposable.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I always get this picture in my mind of the safety cable activating my brakes just as I am entering an intersection on an amber light. Everything gets stopped ok in the middle of the intersection...only to get T Boned by a semi.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I always get this picture in my mind of the safety cable activating my brakes just as I am entering an intersection on an amber light. Everything gets stopped ok in the middle of the intersection...only to get T Boned by a semi.
I would be more concerned about the hitch failing completely, leaving the trailer flailing around on the safety chains, which is what would need to happen before a properly installed breakaway cable pulls the switch.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Over or Under

Good discussion and this makes me think about something else. Toilet paper you can make it roll either over or under, safety chains you can hook either over or under. That being said how do you do them?

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #12

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Hi,
The safety chain sould be mounted cross over together and should be able to catch the trailer tongue. So under mount to avoid the nose of the tongue to hit the ground.

As for the breakaway switch, I mount it directly on the hitch but is about the same length on the safety chain (a bit shorter).
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote