Breaking News: trucks! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Brian B-P;124223]
Ron, set a reminder for 2030 to import a diesel Ranger if we can't get them here yet. If you can settle for the older Mazda "Ford Ranger T6" diesel, you can bring in a 2006 in 2021... preferably from somewhere where they drive on the right side of the road, such as continental Europe. /QUOTE]

Thanks Brian, but somehow the 2030 date doesn't work for me.

Not sure I'd bring in a right hand drive now, even if I could. I've driven thousands of miles "on the wrong side of the road" which is no biggie when everything's set up for that. But I've also driven right hand cars here in Canada and the biggest negative is pulling away from the curb. Yes, you can use your mirrors but the visibility is impaired.

If, as is also rumored, they only sell them in the US, I might have to play the game I had to a few years ago when my wife wanted a type of car with a retractable hardtop and a certain color that wasn't available in Canada. No US dealer was allowed to sell to a Canadian (that varies by manufacturer). So, having a US sister, let's just say she never got to drive that car very much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you can settle for the older Mazda "Ford Ranger T6" diesel, you can bring in a 2006 in 2021... preferably from somewhere where they drive on the right side of the road, such as continental Europe.
Not sure I'd bring in a right hand drive now, even if I could. I've driven thousands of miles "on the wrong side of the road" which is no biggie when everything's set up for that. But I've also driven right hand cars here in Canada and the biggest negative is pulling away from the curb. Yes, you can use your mirrors but the visibility is impaired.
I agree with the logic of avoiding the "wrong side" vehicle, and I'll add that visibility for the driver when passing on two-lane highways is another problem. That's why the preference for cars from continental Europe (where they drive on the right side of the road and thus have the driver on the left-hand side); most of the 15+ year old cars imported to Canada come from Japan, so they're right-hand drive, and a couple of the other obvious source countries (Australia and the UK, because they have desired models and speak English) are a problem for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If, as is also rumored, they only sell them in the US, I might have to play the game I had to a few years ago when my wife wanted a type of car with a retractable hardtop and a certain color that wasn't available in Canada. No US dealer was allowed to sell to a Canadian (that varies by manufacturer). So, having a US sister, let's just say she never got to drive that car very much.
That works to get around the manufacturer's marketing restrictions, but if you're trying to buy a diesel which is not sold here, I think you'll still be prevented from bringing it in, since the engine won't be certified here.

I have a Toyota Sienna, and I noticed in a Sienna forum that many people Canadians were buying their Siennas in the U.S. to save money (some dealers encourage the practice), and that worked because all the important aspects of the vehicle were the same in both countries (same engine, etc.)... but even then they had to modify them for daytime running lights.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #23

Trailer: Looking to Buy
Was looking forward to the new Ford Ranger. Sounds like I may have a long wait though, after reading some of these posts.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #24

If a van qualifies as a sort of "truck" (for one not towing a 5.0 or 5.0TA), then some might be interested in the addition of the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savanna to the ranks of commercial vans with moderately sized diesel engines. The Express/Savanna twins will get the same Duramax 2.8 diesel as the Colorado/Canyon, but with an 8-speed (presumably the 8L90, as used in full-sized GM light trucks), rather than the 6-speed (6L50) behind the same engine in the Colorado/Canyon.

The existing small-diesel commercial vans are the Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, and Ram ProMaster.

General Motors Fits 2.8L Duramax to Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana
Old 12-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #25

Jeep Wrangler update

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has now publicly shown off the next Wrangler - or see the U.S. version or the brochure - (code JL, replacing the current JK), so there are answers to some of the questions which have been raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I may be a little late to the party, but my inside sources tell me two new small trucks were just announced for 2017, the new Honda Ridgeline and a new Jeep pickup!
Not for 2017, but the new JL Wrangler is coming. Production appears to be starting this year, with availability early in 2018, as a late 2018 model (most 2018's were released in the fall of 2017)... but that doesn't include the pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
The Jeep pickup will more likely be a 2018 model after the current Wrangler is redesigned in 2017.
Yes, the pickup will follow - it is not in the initial model lineup, which has only 2-door and 4-door SUV variants. It will follow two years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Jeep says it will a 2017 release. Like other Wranglers tho, I'm doubting it will have more that a couple thousand #'s of towing capacity.
They probably said it would be revealed in 2017, rather than released this year. The rated towing capacity of the 4-door remains 3500 pounds (same as the previous two generations), despite having replaced the earlier transmission (which might have been a weak link). Since the 3.6L V6 engine is carried over, this might apply to only that engine, and it might be an engine limitation.

I have seen no indication of the pickup's towing capacity, or any indication of a reason for it to be any greater than that of the 4-door Wrangler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Jeep Gladiator has been a concept since 2005, here is a mention of it having a diesel...
Jeep - Gladiator Concept
A diesel is confirmed for this generation (by filings with the DOT/EPA): it is being reported as the VM Motori L 630 DOHC, a 3.0L V6 which is currently used in the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 (where is has much higher Gross Combined Weight Rating). The "reveal" brochure does not mention the diesel.

In addition to the gas and diesel V6 engines, there is also a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder; this configuration of engine has become very common, and FCA is just plugging their current engine of this type into the new model.

Quote:
It seems to me that the defining characteristic of the Wrangler is that it is an SUV built on a truck-like platform, but with a proper coil-spring rear (and front) suspension. That means a Wrangler pickup is... a Ram 1500? For anything other than off-roading, I don't see any particular technical appeal (styling is a different matter), but it should tow fine if the drivetrain has sufficient capacity.
They went with a Wrangler-based pickup (not shown yet), rather than a Jeep variant of the Ram trucks. That means it has less cab and box space for the same wheelbase or the same overall length, due to the placement of the engine behind the front axle in the Wrangler. This will be a lousy fifth-wheel tug (due to lack of cab-to-axle clearance), but if some engine variant gets enough GCWR to give it enough towing capacity, it could work for other Escapes.

This also means that a rumoured (and more likely just hoped-for) "Comanche" pickup - meaning one based on the Cherokee - is extraordinarily unlikely.

Quote:
The towing limitation for the Wrangler now is its drivetrain, which has the same engine used by many Chrysler cars (and the minivan), and an outdated transmission because the current one won't fit. There has been speculation that a new Wrangler might move to the ZF HP8 transmission (which is available in many versions, the strongest of which is very capable) and of course there are always rumours of different engines.
The Wrangler will now have that ZF HP8 transmission... but with no increase in towing capacity yet.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
This site has data for the Jeep Scrambler configurations, payload and tow capacity. I believe it is based on preliminary info released to dealers.

https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/f...revealed.1353/

Quick summary: Max tow rating 6500 lbs, payload 1400 lbs. Diesel will be an option.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #27

Also have to say, as a wrangler enthusiast, I mostly like what I see with the new generation JL, but was disappointed the there was no increase in tow rating.

I've always been puzzled by the 3500 lb rating even on the current generation. The drive train and chassis is very strong and wheelbase on the 4 door version is comparable to the regular cab Ram 1500. Only thing I can think could be responsible is the long travel suspension for off-road prowess.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Also have to say, as a wrangler enthusiast, I mostly like what I see with the new generation JL, but was disappointed the there was no increase in tow rating.

I've always been puzzled by the 3500 lb rating even on the current generation. The drive train and chassis is very strong and wheelbase on the 4 door version is comparable to the regular cab Ram 1500. Only thing I can think could be responsible is the long travel suspension for off-road prowess.
I don't think the suspension is that mushy, but maybe. The rear GAWR seems like a more likely limit than the stiffness.

I guessed it might be the transmission, but if the 3500 lb rating for the JL is confirmed, that isn't it. The Pentastar engine is the next possibility, but engines of this size and type are routinely good for much more. That just leaves inadequate cooling (of the transmission or engine), which is possible, since towing isn't important for the typical Wrangler buyer. Okay, the typical Wrangler buyer doesn't need any more capability than a typical economy sedan , but it isn't even important to the enthusiasts.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #29

Quote:
This site has data for the Jeep Scrambler configurations, payload and tow capacity. I believe it is based on preliminary info released to dealers.

https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/f...revealed.1353/

Quick summary: Max tow rating 6500 lbs, payload 1400 lbs. Diesel will be an option.
Very interesting, and looks convincing. I do wonder about 2018 specs for a truck which Jeep has pretty openly said is not going to be available in the 2018 model year... without any indication of the source. I don't think dealers get any information a year ahead of when they can place orders, but maybe Jeep is different, or the truck information really did get released into the ordering system with the SUV information.

These values suggest that the towing limitation of the JL Wrangler is one of:
  • cooling, easily improved with alternate components,
  • frame construction (unlikely),
  • wheelbase (unlikely), or
  • rear suspension capacity.

Some of the enthusiast forums are very good at authoritatively announcing either educated guesses or complete fabrications as fact, although this pile of data is unusually detailed. For a example, have a look at the graphic at the top of the page... it is a truck based on the JL Wrangler, and is pretty close, but has the front fenders wrong (compared to the JL shown by Jeep last month): that means it is a guess by someone with no information from Jeep, based on a JL Unlimited image and perhaps bed parts from the J8 or one of the aftermarket kits, with rumoured JL details (such as the grill) added. Many web sites will share images like this, some identifying it as a real image of the coming model. I hope the data doesn't fall in the same category, but we'll see in a year or so.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a 6 cyl Jeep Liberty in 2012 and it was rated 5000/500 towing and it had the older 4.0 Jeep motor not the new Pentastar which put out more torque and hp.But they stopped making that model.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would really like to get excited about this but I just can't bring myself to that points . We already have a myriad of trucks ,
small trucks , big trucks , gas trucks , diesel trucks , plain trucks , fancy trucks , V4 trucks , V6 trucks , V8 trucks , Unibody trucks imported trucks, domestic trucks , truck trucks ,etc.
There is no shortage of trucks or vehicles that look like trucks or pretend trucks or Tonka trucks .

Happy Holidays

IMHO : Small diesel vehicles are a step backwards for little or no gain at least for that segment of the population who breathe air.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #32

The reason mid-sized truck went away was the market just dried up. It's a difficult market segment to sell in. Nowadays there are full-sized pickups, larger, with higher numbers, getting essentially the same MPG as the "mid-sized" segment. I will be surprised if these new "mid-sized" truck stay around. We've already seen the old "small" trucks grow, and grow, and grow,... It's just a difficult segment to compete in.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
A while back we were looking for a new TV / truck.
Ford was discontinuing the Ranger and was offering them at 30% off MSRP . We got prices on a Ranger and on full size trucks.
I could purchase a full size truck with a V8 engine and more options for $1800 more than a Ranger .
As long as the price difference between a full size truck and a small truck is so minor , I won't be buying a small truck .
When a half size truck costs half as much , I might be interested but when a half size truck costs 90% of a standard truck then the deals off
I refuse to pay more for less !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A while back we were looking for a new TV / truck.
Ford was discontinuing the Ranger and was offering them at 30% off MSRP . We got prices on a Ranger and on full size trucks.
I could purchase a full size truck with a V8 engine and more options for $1800 more than a Ranger .
As long as the price difference between a full size truck and a small truck is so minor , I won't be buying a small truck .
When a half size truck costs half as much , I might be interested but when a half size truck costs 90% of a standard truck then the deals off
I refuse to pay more for less !!
As much as I liked my Ranger, I have to agree. Mine was a 2002 4x4 XLT with the 4.0L V6, and it was a fine truck. I was able to get it from a used car dealer for 7K, and then put another 3K into it fixing everything that was wrong. I got alot of use out of it.

But if I had bought it new, I'd have probably just gone with an F150. So much more truck.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #35

Quote:
I don't think the suspension is that mushy, but maybe. The rear GAWR seems like a more likely limit than the stiffness.

I guessed it might be the transmission, but if the 3500 lb rating for the JL is confirmed, that isn't it. The Pentastar engine is the next possibility, but engines of this size and type are routinely good for much more. That just leaves inadequate cooling (of the transmission or engine), which is possible, since towing isn't important for the typical Wrangler buyer. Okay, the typical Wrangler buyer doesn't need any more capability than a typical economy sedan , but it isn't even important to the enthusiasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had a 6 cyl Jeep Liberty in 2012 and it was rated 5000/500 towing and it had the older 4.0 Jeep motor not the new Pentastar which put out more torque and hp.But they stopped making that model.
The rear axle in the higher spec'd wranglers is a Dana44, a fairly stout axle that Jeep has used in other vehicles with a 5000 lb tow rating so that's not it either. Early '90s Jeep Cherokees with the tow package had that same D44 axle along with engine, transmission, and usually the same transfer case as the Jeep YJ. It had the 5000/500 towing rating like the liberty that was its replacement in the Jeep lineup.

I think we're looking for engineering reasons when it's probably a marketing rating. Current wranglers with the same drivetrain are rated for 2000 kg (4400 lbs) max towing in Australia and the UK.

Two years ago the tow rating for the two door JK wrangler was magically changed from 2000 lbs to 3500 lbs (same as the 4-door). No changes to the drivetrain. Also rules out wheelbase as an issue (at least up to 3500 lbs).

Not that I truly want to tow 5000 lbs with my wrangler, but I think the experience would be no worse than many other V6 SUVs with that rating. Practically, I find the GVWR capacity of the wrangler is more limiting than the tow rating - it's a heavy vehicle - so that would have to increase to make much use of greater towing capacity.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #36

Quote:

Some of the enthusiast forums are very good at authoritatively announcing either educated guesses or complete fabrications as fact...
I am with you on the skepticism. This site did however have most of the details right on the JL wrangler months before launch and they also had the tow rating correct before launch (I was hoping they'd be wrong on that one). Seems like they have a good source somewhere...

As you say we won't know for sure for a year or so, but I think Jeep the Jeep truck has to have payload and towing capabilities comparable to a Tacoma to have any real market success.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
The rear axle in the higher spec'd wranglers is a Dana44, a fairly stout axle that Jeep has used in other vehicles with a 5000 lb tow rating so that's not it either. Early '90s Jeep Cherokees with the tow package had that same D44 axle along with engine, transmission, and usually the same transfer case as the Jeep YJ. It had the 5000/500 towing rating like the liberty that was its replacement in the Jeep lineup.

I think we're looking for engineering reasons when it's probably a marketing rating. Current wranglers with the same drivetrain are rated for 2000 kg (4400 lbs) max towing in Australia and the UK.

Two years ago the tow rating for the two door JK wrangler was magically changed from 2000 lbs to 3500 lbs (same as the 4-door). No changes to the drivetrain. Also rules out wheelbase as an issue (at least up to 3500 lbs).

Not that I truly want to tow 5000 lbs with my wrangler, but I think the experience would be no worse than many other V6 SUVs with that rating. Practically, I find the GVWR capacity of the wrangler is more limiting than the tow rating - it's a heavy vehicle - so that would have to increase to make much use of greater towing capacity.
I thought that the SAE J2807 standard was required now which is supposed to define what a vehicle can carry and tow?
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I thought that the SAE J2807 standard was required now which is supposed to define what a vehicle can carry and tow?
As far as I know, compliance to SAE J2807 has been and still is optional for auto manufactures. Even though the standard came out around 2008 it's only now that you're starting to see universal adoption on truck tow ratings. I think it took Ford making the F150 ratings J2807 compliant a while back to really give momentum to the standard.

I guess SUVs that tow will eventually all follow J2807 testing as well, but it will probably take a while since towing is less of a sales feature than with trucks. Also, nothing would compel a manufacturer to rate their SUV to the max value achieved with J2807 testing, they could rate it lower for marketing reasons such as avoiding overlaps in their product lineup and to push buyers to other models.

The JK wrangler was not J2807 compliant and maybe that's why its rating seemed arbitrary and changeable. While I don't know for a fact if the tow rating on the new JL wrangler is compliant or not, the webpage I linked to earlier says it is. Almost unbelievable that the new compliance tested tow rating is the same as the old model untested rating except that it is set by the marketing dept.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
The JK wrangler was not J2807 compliant and maybe that's why its rating seemed arbitrary and changeable. While I don't know for a fact if the tow rating on the new JL wrangler is compliant or not, the webpage I linked to earlier says it is. Almost unbelievable that the new compliance tested tow rating is the same as the old model untested rating except that it is set by the marketing dept.
I suppose it is possible that they changed the rating on the JK to 3500# after internal testing to J2807, but never officially said it complied. Now with similar design attributes of the JK and the JL it seems reasonable that they would align.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I suppose it is possible that they changed the rating on the JK to 3500# after internal testing to J2807, but never officially said it complied. Now with similar design attributes of the JK and the JL it seems reasonable that they would align.
That could be the case... and yet the Grand Cherokee with the same engine and 8 speed transmission has a tow rating of 6200 lbs in the Overland version so I doubt it would be hard to bump up the new model tow specs if they wanted to.
I guess in a way they that's what they're doing with the Jeep truck...