Breaking News: trucks! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Breaking News: trucks!

I may be a little late to the party, but my inside sources tell me two new small trucks were just announced for 2017, the new Honda Ridgeline and a new Jeep pickup! Add these to the new diesel Colorado, Hundai truck and 2017 Ranger, and TV choices (no, Samsung isn't making a truck) just multiplied!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep-Wrangler-Pickup-Gladiator-Concept-626x382-2.jpg   FB_IMG_1452692309665.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #2

The Jeep pickup will more likely be a 2018 model after the current Wrangler is redesigned in 2017.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I gotta say that Jeep is capturing my attention.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I gotta say that Jeep is capturing my attention.
Me too. Jeep says it will a 2017 release. Like other Wranglers tho, I'm doubting it will have more that a couple thousand #'s of towing capacity. In my fantasy world, Toyota sees big competition to the Tacoma and gets creative with a diesel and/or small block V-8.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Honda ridgeline

The Ridge-line was 5000 lb from Honda from 06-2012 so new one should be at least that much if it wants to compete . I'm hoping the Canyon /Colorodo will come down in price when there is a little more competition from Ford ,Toyota,Nissan,Honda etc
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I have been driving Hondas for years. Never had any problems at all. Now that I'm in the market for a TV I've been looking at Tacoma/Canyon/Colorado. This news just moved Honda back on to the list. I sure hope they can match the 7000 lbs the others offer.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Jeep Gladiator has been a concept since 2005, here is a mention of it having a diesel...
Jeep - Gladiator Concept
Old 01-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #8

Here's another truck. Hyundai, they might want to go back to the drawing board again. Not my thing:
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1452709242447.jpg  
Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Here's another truck. Hyundai, they might want to go back to the drawing board again. Not my thing:
Agreed. A little too much.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Crap, I thought maybe there was an announcement that the Ford Ranger diesel sold everywhere else in the world was now going to be available here.

Maybe it will be in the States for 2017 and maybe not in Canada, not that that would stop me. Saw one in New Zealand a couple of years ago. Oh well, patience is a virtue.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
That's no truck! Lol!

I suppose if you don't carry more than groceries you would be ok.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Crap, I thought maybe there was an announcement that the Ford Ranger diesel sold everywhere else in the world was now going to be available here.

Maybe it will be in the States for 2017 and maybe not in Canada, not that that would stop me. Saw one in New Zealand a couple of years ago. Oh well, patience is a virtue.

Ron
Maybe I don't understand the world of business, but couldn't agree more.

I had a string of 7 Ford Rangers going back to the mid 70's when they were called Couriers and wanted a crew cab. Nope, Ford didn't sell them here but south of the border, 200 miles away, and the rest of the world, I could get a crew cab AND a diesel. Same with Toyota and the HiLux diesel.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Yes, the Ridgeline has now been shown without a disguise, and with a little more information, in the unveiling at the Detroit show which I mentioned in Honda Ridgeline Revival post #37.

This confirms the major features carried forward from the original Ridgeline:
  • unibody construction
  • fully independent (including rear) suspension
  • available all-wheel drive
  • storage compartment under rear box floor
  • enclosed tire storage over axle under box floor
  • two-way tailgate

The biggest difference from the original Ridgeline is the change in the box side profile (now level), and of course it is now based on the updated Pilot platform (the original was based on an earlier Pilot platform). Also, although I haven't seen a mention of it in an article, the photos appear to show that the outer box sides are separate panels from the unibody - it may be a completely separate box now (or the outer box sides may just be removable/replaceable panels).

Various articles have been published online this week with more detail - just Google "2017 Honda Ridgeline Detroit" and look for anything posted since Monday.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #14

There have been many Jeep trucks, many Jeep concept trucks have appeared recently, and there is a current Wrangler-based Jeep pickup sold only for military use (the J8) and you can buy a corresponding body conversion kit for your Wrangler in North America.

It seems to me that the defining characteristic of the Wrangler is that it is an SUV built on a truck-like platform, but with a proper coil-spring rear (and front) suspension. That means a Wrangler pickup is... a Ram 1500? For anything other than off-roading, I don't see any particular technical appeal (styling is a different matter), but it should tow fine if the drivetrain has sufficient capacity.

Earlier Wranglers were limited in towing by their short wheelbase, but a current Wrangler 4-door is longer than the majority of other SUVs so that's not a concern... and the truck will likely have even longer wheelbase. A good feature for towing has been short overhang, and a Wrangler truck will likely have longer (not as good) overhang, but it might still be reasonable (depending on whether they put the spare under the box or not).

The towing limitation for the Wrangler now is its drivetrain, which has the same engine used by many Chrysler cars (and the minivan), and an outdated transmission because the current one won't fit. There has been speculation that a new Wrangler might move to the ZF HP8 transmission (which is available in many versions, the strongest of which is very capable) and of course there are always rumours of different engines.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:

Maybe it will be in the States for 2017 and maybe not in Canada...
Oh well, patience is a virtue.
Not likely. A recent round of discussion of Ranger possibilities: Pickups with 31 mpg - post #38... try 2020 or so, not 2017. You'll need that patience.

The potential Ranger revival is planned for a plant in the Detroit area. If it were coming for model year 2017, given the UAW issues I think the truck would have been on a rotating platform in the middle of the Ford display at the Detroit Auto Show, accompanied by a marching band and fireworks.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

On the other hand the T6 or Ranger Limited, the current one with a diesel is sold in Mexico. When I'm in Mexico next month I'll be sure to go by a dealership and torture myself. $32,000Cdn., about what I expected.

Ron
Old 01-14-2016, 02:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
On the other hand the T6 or Ranger Limited, the current one with a diesel is sold in Mexico. When I'm in Mexico next month I'll be sure to go by a dealership and torture myself. $32,000Cdn., about what I expected.

Ron
So Ron ... if you buy a vehicle in Mexico .... Can you bring it to Canada? Maybe just keep returning to Mexico to re-license?

Tom
Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
So Ron ... if you buy a vehicle in Mexico .... Can you bring it to Canada? Maybe just keep returning to Mexico to re-license?

Tom
Interesting idea, but, no, I can't if I wanted to drive it around town for the rest of the time. We have rules about how long you can drive a vehicle an out of province vehicle without changing the registration.

There is a federal list of vehicles that can be imported. I'll check it before I go but it's unlikely that it'd be on it. At least I should be able to test drive one.

Ron
Old 01-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Interesting idea, but, no, I can't if I wanted to drive it around town for the rest of the time. We have rules about how long you can drive a vehicle an out of province vehicle without changing the registration.

There is a federal list of vehicles that can be imported. I'll check it before I go but it's unlikely that it'd be on it. At least I should be able to test drive one.

Ron
Pretty much the same in the US, at least NY. Even moving from one state to another requires registering the vehicle within "X" days. In my case I bought a vehicle in Washington state, moved back to NY, and within 10 days had one of the campus cops let me know I had to register it. The "interesting" part is NY collected the difference between Washington & New York sales tax when I picked up the new plates!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #20

Quote:
There is a federal list of vehicles that can be imported. I'll check it before I go but it's unlikely that it'd be on it.
Extremely unlikely, because it is basically a list of vehicles which are sold in the same form in Canada as elsewhere, so the vehicle to be imported is essentially the same as ones sold here and thus already approved.

The exception to this (under the current rules) is that vehicles at least 15 years old are generally exempt. Ron, set a reminder for 2030 to import a diesel Ranger if we can't get them here yet. If you can settle for the older Mazda "Ford Ranger T6" diesel, you can bring in a 2006 in 2021... preferably from somewhere where they drive on the right side of the road, such as continental Europe. You could bring in an early example of the last generation of Mazda B-Series with a diesel (again called a "Ranger" if from Ford in Europe) right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Pretty much the same in the US, at least NY. Even moving from one state to another requires registering the vehicle within "X" days.
Moving between jurisdictions (provinces in Canada or states in the U.S.) is another way in which rules in Canada and the U.S. are similar.