Buying a truck with the towing package - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I spent time on the internet and talked to several dealers and was told that the Ram 1500 does not
have a defined towing package per se . (snip)
In the brochure for the 2015 Ram 1500 it lists a Trailer Tow Group having an electronic trailer brake controller, class IV hitch receiver and 7x11 trailer tow mirrors. The Trailer and Traction Group includes this, plus a 3.92 axle ratio with the hemi V8 or EcoDiesel V6, or a 3.55 axle ratio with Pentastar V6.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
The Tundra is also coming out with a diesel model. Both the Tundra and Titan will supposedly have the same Cummings engine. The current 5.7 tundra comes with factory tow package. The diesel sounds like it will be a beast but the price is yet to be announced and I think it would be overkill and hard to justify the cost unless you just want a diesel. Our Tundra with the 5.7 allows me to drive on cruise pulling the trailer through most mountain areas I have been in so far. It has so much more power than our 2006 4.7 Tundra that I can't imagine needing more power.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape
"Tundra with the 5.7 allows me to drive on cruise pulling the trailer through most mountain areas I have been in so far. It has so much more power than our 2006 4.7 Tundra that I can't imagine needing more power. "

We have had the same experience. 15mpg average coast to coast traveling using cruise control and the tow/haul mode..
Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will be big time overkill for towing any Escape trailer. If you have other uses for it, that would be great. I am interested to hear what the fuel economy really is, or even what the price will be. I guess we only have a short wait, as they are to be released later this year.

Wasn't there news a few years back about an even smaller Cummins diesel for a small pickup? This is what I would like to see. Something with a 6-7,000 lb tow range in a diesel.

I know if I did not use my F-350 diesel for hauling tools, and regularly pulling well over 10,000 lbs of dump trailer filled with supplies/garbage, I would never consider it as a tow vehicle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Jim, I think the small Cummins was shopped around in the 2007-2009 time frame and died on the drawing board for several reasons.

On my wishlist is a baby diesel with actual Jake brake.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I just pulled the window sticker on my GMC and the max tow package was a $1325 option which allowed me to get the camper mirrors for $275. This included a 9.76 rear axle, a 3.73 rear axle ratio, the trailer brake controller, an enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR, and 18 inch bright machined wheels. I ordered the new tow truck in Nov. of 2013 and the dealers computer at the time showed only 12 trucks with the max tow package on dealer lots in the whole US. And at the time I thought it was going to be the 17 ft. Casita so only got the 5.3 engine. Had I known it was going to be the Escape 21, I might have bumped it up to the 6.2.

Obviously it would be cost prohibitive to have most of these options installed later. I have also ordered almost every vehicle which I have ever owned and have never test driven a vehicle. I know what I want and have never been disappointed. And in less than two weeks, I am going find out how the GMC is going to handle the trailer. This might be interesting and I am really curious as to what the gas mileage is going to be. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
We've test driven most brands of trucks out there that can pull the trailer we want to order, the 5.0TA...
Quote:
Oh pooh, forgot about this type of truck. Okay, now we have two more to test drive!
There are not many brands of truck...
  1. General Motors (two brands, mid-size and full-size models each, light and heavy duty versions of the full-size)
  2. Ford (one brand, one size, light and heavy duty models)
  3. Chrysler (Ram brand, one size, light and heavy duty models)
  4. Toyota (two sizes)
  5. Nissan (two sizes)
  6. Honda (one model, currently not in production, and can't tow a 5.0TA anyway...)
Did you only miss the GMC brand from General Motors?

Quote:
Ah, so if I didn't like the Silverado for feel while driving, I might not like the Sierra then. I don't remember the salesgal telling us about the Sierra. Interesting.
A Chevrolet salesperson (who sells the Silverado) is unlikely to tell you about the GMC model (which is the Sierra). They're made by the same company, but sold by separate dealers.

Although they are essentially the same truck (so they probably drive about the same), the Silverado and Sierra vary in some details, and generally the Sierra may be "fancier", but it may also be better. In the mid-size, the models are the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon; a friend of mine just bought a Canyon, and said that the 4WD systems are different, and noticeable hood shake/flex on the Colorado did not occur with the differently shaped and stiffer hood of the Canyon. The difference is sometimes in the details.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #28

Titan

Quote:
I test drove one of those yesterday (well, the gas version...
I really liked that Titan ...

The salesman did talk about the diesel but I'm wondering if you really want to get a brand new (to them) style until they've gotten the bugs worked out. He also said they were going to change some things on the inside. He gave us a flyer on it and while it doesn't have too much information on it, it does have a pretty nifty looking truck on it in a color that was very similar to my Isuzu Trooper (cognac).
Since all the talk about the new Titan is the XD version - the one with the diesel - people seem to forget that both regular (gas engined) and XD versions will be available. I don't know how applicable the test drive of the current model will be to the new model, or if you want to buy the last year of a model (which will depreciate fast as it immediately looks old when the new one appears).
Old 08-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #29

Diesel

Quote:
So, is there going to be a Tundra diesel? Right now the Titan and Tundra were my two favorites of all I've driven, with the Titan a bit ahead. I do need to cruise the internet to get more info on these two rigs. one of these days!
The diesel Tundra is little more than rumour. Toyota doesn't give much away long ahead of model introductions, but it certainly isn't appearing this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
The Tundra is also coming out with a diesel model. Both the Tundra and Titan will supposedly have the same Cummings engine.
Yes, it is the same Cummins engine, although every engine can be produced in different trims with different power and torque output, so performance (and many other details) may not be the same... when and if it appears in the Tundra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will be big time overkill for towing any Escape trailer. If you have other uses for it, that would be great. I am interested to hear what the fuel economy really is, or even what the price will be. I guess we only have a short wait, as they are to be released later this year.
The Titan XD is coming this year, yes. Some people think they need almost 6 litres of gas engine to tow an Escape; this Cummins won't have more power, but it will produce it at lower engine speed (mostly due to the turbo). Others find a gasoline 3.5L turbo suitable, and the 5.0L turbo diesel will have substantially less power... but again at lower speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Wasn't there news a few years back about an even smaller Cummins diesel for a small pickup? This is what I would like to see. Something with a 6-7,000 lb tow range in a diesel.
Nissan put a smaller Cummins in the Frontier for a show truck. This may be nothing but a sales gimmick, as the more obvious choice for a diesel engine to use in the Frontier would be the one Nissan already sells in most of the world.

If anyone wants a diesel in a smaller truck - with a suitably matching engine size - the obvious choice is GM's Colorado/Canyon which is definitely coming this year (formally announced long ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Jim, I think the small Cummins was shopped around in the 2007-2009 time frame and died on the drawing board for several reasons.
The Cummins 5.0 V8 was designed back then, and didn't go into a pickup then due to the economic crash and the resulting problems that auto manufacturers (well, mostly North American manufacturers) had at the time.

There was talk of a North American V6 diesel, I believe for GM - this may have turned into the VM Motori 3-litre (GM owned some part of VM Motori before Fiat) which ended up in the Ram 1500. If you like the do-it-yourself approach, Banks will sell you one (which they call the 630T) as a "crate engine" for you project; if you do this, bring buckets of cash.

There was an International Powerstroke 4.5L V6 (VT275/Maxxforce 5) which went into some commercial trucks, but never made it into a pickup - it might have fit a "half ton" full-size. I think it died because it was never upgraded to comply with 2010 emissions regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
On my wishlist is a baby diesel with actual Jake brake.
Great for mountain downgrades, but good luck ever getting one. Even the "real truck engine" 6.7L Cummins (in the Ram Heavy Duty) is not available from Cummins with a compression brake.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If you can get the factory tow package, whatever flavor it is, by all means do so. It usually includes a host of useful features that would cost you a pretty penny if you added them later, and in some cases, you can't.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 PM   #31

One more out-of-left-field option...
Any cab-and-chassis (a truck with no body on the back, just a cab followed by a bare frame ready for your choice of body) can be a pickup truck when you add a box. Add a more functional body with storage compartments and it's better than a pickup for towing a fifth-wheel. Ford's Transit is usually seen as a van, but is also available as a cab-and-chassis... with a small diesel engine (or a gas engine if you prefer). Properly spec'd, it has enough towing capacity for any Escape. The same could be done with a Mercedes Sprinter or even a Ram ProMaster, but the Sprinter is pretty big and the ProMaster is front-wheel-drive.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
I have a Toyota Tundra 2012. Looked at the 5.0ta. While the truck can Tow/Pull a heck of alot, the payload is not very high. Payload is about 1200lbs, with a pin weight on the 5.0ta of 700lbs(guess from previous posts) my 220lb butt, and my wife we closely approach the payload and we don't have much other stuff. Be careful with just looking at the TOW capacity.

The f-150 with Max tow and things can have a payload of 2,000+lbs and I considered looking to purchase that for the 5.0ta....then I just changed my escape order to a 21'. I can pull it with my tundra and don't have to worry about the payload issues as much.
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #33
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
I have a Toyota Tundra 2012. Looked at the 5.0ta. While the truck can Tow/Pull a heck of alot, the payload is not very high.
I echo Don's note about paying attention to the payload capacity, especially when planning to purchase a 5.0TA (don't forget to factor in the weight of the fifth wheel hitch in the bed which can be another 100-150 lbs. depending on the model of hitch). The standard Ram 1500 also has a relatively low payload capacity as well (but I believe can be optioned with a high payload capacity option). Unfortunately the Tundra doesn't have such an option currently available.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape
I wonder if the Tundra work truck option is still available. With the regular cab the payload is much higher. When passenger capacity is increased the payload is decreased.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #35

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I wonder if the Tundra work truck option is still available. With the regular cab the payload is much higher. When passenger capacity is increased the payload is decreased.
In the 2015 brochure it's listed. I did see one on the first lot we looked at, but I could never get one like that as I'd feel too confined. I need that space behind me with the rear compartment area.

The brochure does not list hitch weight. these are the towing rates for a 5.7L V8, 4x4:

double cab, standard bed (78.7"), 10,000
double cab, long bed (97.6"), 9900
crew cab, short bed (66.7"), 9800
regular cab (the work truck as you call it), long bed, 10,300
Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #36

All of them post them on the manufactures websites.

Here are some Tundras
Toyota Tundra Interior, Exterior & Safety Features
You can change the trucks listed to show the model you are interested in.

Here are Fords
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

As you can see you have to be careful of what package you choose because all trucks of the same brand are not created equal.

Things like larger fuel tanks, 4 wheel drive, cab size, motor size, rear ends and other options will change these numbers.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Payload capacity is rarely given the consideration it warrants. Our 2005 Tundra tows our Escape 21 with ease, but with our canopy, boat on roof rack, motors and fishing gear the truck is loaded to capacity. Still it handles it all well. But if we were towing a 5 TA it wouldn't leave room for any gear.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Payload capacity is rarely given the consideration it warrants. Our 2005 Tundra tows our Escape 21 with ease, but with our canopy, boat on roof rack, motors and fishing gear the truck is loaded to capacity. Still it handles it all well. But if we were towing a 5 TA it wouldn't leave room for any gear.

Bob K
05 Tundra is a mid size truck like our 06 was. Great trucks but not the capacity of the new Tundra, Titian or any of the big 3 full size trucks. For any pull behind Escape they are fine.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
(snip) As you can see you have to be careful of what package you choose because all trucks of the same brand are not created equal.

Things like larger fuel tanks, 4 wheel drive, cab size, motor size, rear ends and other options will change these numbers.
I know! And it's just mind boggling!

I didn't look at the Ford's site, but did look at the Toyota. Still didn't list the hitch weight and don't I need to take that into consideration, even pulling the 5.0TA?

Is there a smilie thingie for a boggled mind? How about:

Old 09-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #40

Maximum payload is what you need to look at. This is from Toyotas site.

36. “Payload capacity” is the calculation of GVWR minus curb weight and should be used for comparison purposes only. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings and follow all instructions in your Owner’s Manual. The maximum you can haul (payload) depends on base curb weight plus the total weight of any cargo, occupants, and added vehicle equipment. “Added vehicle equipment” includes additional standard/optional equipment and accessories added by the manufacturer, dealers, and/or vehicle owners. The only way to be certain of your vehicle’s exact curb weight is to weigh your vehicle without passengers or cargo.