Buying a truck with the towing package - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One more out-of-left-field option...
Any cab-and-chassis (a truck with no body on the back, just a cab followed by a bare frame ready for your choice of body) can be a pickup truck when you add a box. Add a more functional body with storage compartments and it's better than a pickup for towing a fifth-wheel. Ford's Transit is usually seen as a van, but is also available as a cab-and-chassis... with a small diesel engine (or a gas engine if you prefer). Properly spec'd, it has enough towing capacity for any Escape. The same could be done with a Mercedes Sprinter or even a Ram ProMaster, but the Sprinter is pretty big and the ProMaster is front-wheel-drive.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2016 21'
I have a Toyota Tundra 2012. Looked at the 5.0ta. While the truck can Tow/Pull a heck of alot, the payload is not very high. Payload is about 1200lbs, with a pin weight on the 5.0ta of 700lbs(guess from previous posts) my 220lb butt, and my wife we closely approach the payload and we don't have much other stuff. Be careful with just looking at the TOW capacity.

The f-150 with Max tow and things can have a payload of 2,000+lbs and I considered looking to purchase that for the 5.0ta....then I just changed my escape order to a 21'. I can pull it with my tundra and don't have to worry about the payload issues as much.

Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #33
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
I have a Toyota Tundra 2012. Looked at the 5.0ta. While the truck can Tow/Pull a heck of alot, the payload is not very high.
I echo Don's note about paying attention to the payload capacity, especially when planning to purchase a 5.0TA (don't forget to factor in the weight of the fifth wheel hitch in the bed which can be another 100-150 lbs. depending on the model of hitch). The standard Ram 1500 also has a relatively low payload capacity as well (but I believe can be optioned with a high payload capacity option). Unfortunately the Tundra doesn't have such an option currently available.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape
I wonder if the Tundra work truck option is still available. With the regular cab the payload is much higher. When passenger capacity is increased the payload is decreased.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #35

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I wonder if the Tundra work truck option is still available. With the regular cab the payload is much higher. When passenger capacity is increased the payload is decreased.
In the 2015 brochure it's listed. I did see one on the first lot we looked at, but I could never get one like that as I'd feel too confined. I need that space behind me with the rear compartment area.

The brochure does not list hitch weight. these are the towing rates for a 5.7L V8, 4x4:

double cab, standard bed (78.7"), 10,000
double cab, long bed (97.6"), 9900
crew cab, short bed (66.7"), 9800
regular cab (the work truck as you call it), long bed, 10,300
Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
All of them post them on the manufactures websites.

Here are some Tundras
Toyota Tundra Interior, Exterior & Safety Features
You can change the trucks listed to show the model you are interested in.

Here are Fords
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

As you can see you have to be careful of what package you choose because all trucks of the same brand are not created equal.

Things like larger fuel tanks, 4 wheel drive, cab size, motor size, rear ends and other options will change these numbers.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Payload capacity is rarely given the consideration it warrants. Our 2005 Tundra tows our Escape 21 with ease, but with our canopy, boat on roof rack, motors and fishing gear the truck is loaded to capacity. Still it handles it all well. But if we were towing a 5 TA it wouldn't leave room for any gear.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Payload capacity is rarely given the consideration it warrants. Our 2005 Tundra tows our Escape 21 with ease, but with our canopy, boat on roof rack, motors and fishing gear the truck is loaded to capacity. Still it handles it all well. But if we were towing a 5 TA it wouldn't leave room for any gear.

Bob K
05 Tundra is a mid size truck like our 06 was. Great trucks but not the capacity of the new Tundra, Titian or any of the big 3 full size trucks. For any pull behind Escape they are fine.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #39

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
(snip) As you can see you have to be careful of what package you choose because all trucks of the same brand are not created equal.

Things like larger fuel tanks, 4 wheel drive, cab size, motor size, rear ends and other options will change these numbers.
I know! And it's just mind boggling!

I didn't look at the Ford's site, but did look at the Toyota. Still didn't list the hitch weight and don't I need to take that into consideration, even pulling the 5.0TA?

Is there a smilie thingie for a boggled mind? How about:

Old 09-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #40

Maximum payload is what you need to look at. This is from Toyotas site.

36. “Payload capacity” is the calculation of GVWR minus curb weight and should be used for comparison purposes only. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings and follow all instructions in your Owner’s Manual. The maximum you can haul (payload) depends on base curb weight plus the total weight of any cargo, occupants, and added vehicle equipment. “Added vehicle equipment” includes additional standard/optional equipment and accessories added by the manufacturer, dealers, and/or vehicle owners. The only way to be certain of your vehicle’s exact curb weight is to weigh your vehicle without passengers or cargo.