Bye Ford Escape; Hello Nissan Frontier - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
Bye Ford Escape; Hello Nissan Frontier

I pulled the trigger today on a 2013 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab with 4wd. I'll miss the better gas mileage of the Ford Escape, but found a nice, clean,low miles truck at a reputable dealership. With a reasonable trade-in, it just made sense and should be a good fit for taking a 17B anywhere. Picking it up next week. Has the towing package and 7 pin connector. Just need to get a brake controller.
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
I pulled the trigger today on a 2013 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab with 4wd. I'll miss the better gas mileage of the Ford Escape, but found a nice, clean,low miles truck at a reputable dealership. With a reasonable trade-in, it just made sense and should be a good fit for taking a 17B anywhere. Picking it up next week. Has the towing package and 7 pin connector. Just need to get a brake controller.
While the Escape "can" tow a 17, I think you'll find the Fronteir an excellent tow vehicle. Several forum members tow with one.

For a brake controller, I highly recommend a quality proportional controller, like a Tekonsha P3.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the P3 today. The video instructions from etrailer make it look easy enough that I should be able to self-install.

The tow vehicle has arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan1.jpg  
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the P3 today. The video instructions from etrailer make it look easy enough that I should be able to self-install.

The tow vehicle has arrived.
Does it already have 7-pin receptical? Or, if not, you have the tow package that includes the 7-pin wiring harness? If so, installing the Nissan wiring for the brake controller and plug receptical is pretty easy.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Does it already have 7-pin receptical? Or, if not, you have the tow package that includes the 7-pin wiring harness? If so, installing the Nissan wiring for the brake controller and plug receptical is pretty easy.
Yes, it already has the 7 pin receptacle, and I've already located the wiring harness under the steering wheel/above the accelerator.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: northwinds... We tow with a 2010 4X4 Crew Cab long bed Fronty. Bought new in 2010 it now has about 85,000 mostly towing miles on it. Only vexing problem has been the SES (service engine soon)light coming on. A bottle of injector cleaner seems to take care of It. FYI...Check carefully for cross contamination of rad/ trans fluid. Strawberry milk shake colour!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, escape artist. I had a Ford Explorer that frequently flipped on its engine light for one bad sensor or another. Frustrating.

The strawberry shake in the engine compartment seemed to mainly affect Nissan Frontier model years 2005-2010. Hopefully, the only strawberry shake I see is one I can drink.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info, escape artist. I had a Ford Explorer that frequently flipped on its engine light for one bad sensor or another. Frustrating.

The strawberry shake in the engine compartment seemed to mainly affect Nissan Frontier model years 2005-2010. Hopefully, the only strawberry shake I see is one I can drink.
Hi: northwinds... Alf
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Alf, that diet the missus has you on is making you see food in cross contaminated fluids, strawberry milkshake?? What happened to beer or wine or maple whiskey?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Alf, that diet the missus has you on is making you see food in cross contaminated fluids, strawberry milkshake?? What happened to beer or wine or maple whiskey?
Hi: cpaharley2008... Alf
Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Hi Northwinds;
I pull an Escape 19 with a 2013 Frontier Crew Cab, and have been very happy with the combination. Only thing I can say about the Frontier (in addition to 14-15 mph) is the incredibly large turning radius. It turns like the QE 2!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote