Chains for towing? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2018, 12:49 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when we hauled our escape westward from DFW Texas last new years, it was sub freezing for much of I10 in texas, but the road was heavily sprayed with some sort of magnesium salt, so it was just wet and slushy, and at no time did my tacoma with BFG All/Terrain KO2 (M+S rated) tires feel remotely out of control nor did I feel any need for 4x4. When we got home a few days later, I gave the undercarriage of everything a thorough spray-down with water.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
when we hauled our escape westward from DFW Texas last new years, it was sub freezing for much of I10 in texas, but the road was heavily sprayed with some sort of magnesium salt, so it was just wet and slushy, and at no time did my tacoma with BFG All/Terrain KO2 (M+S rated) tires feel remotely out of control nor did I feel any need for 4x4. When we got home a few days later, I gave the undercarriage of everything a thorough spray-down with water.
That is indeed good news. In Oregon they don't (as yet) spray the roads and we have way too many off the road accidents, head-ons and actual deaths or serious injuries. They do spread "sand". Those accidents are not all due to the snow of course. I was remarkably pleased with how the rest of the country drives as on our 5 weeks out of Oregon we didn't once feel like we were close to death due to bad drivers out of control on snow, hydroplaning and/or passing on blind corners. I do NOT exaggerate. We come out of Bend all the time in every direction and we have had so many close calls or seen accidents. If it weren't for the fact the tourist bureau will put out a warning on me, I would tell you how many accidents and deaths we have on our roads. That is why we have an attitude on vehicles without snow tires (yours sound good) and drivers without common sense. Sorry to be so doom and gloom, but I hope my fellow Oregonians get some common sense or we can get more State Police out on the roads. BUT my compliments to the rest of the States around us. I have lived in Oregon most of my senior life and I've never seen it like the last 5 to 10 years.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:39 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
sorta sounds like the SF Bay Area and rain.... most every year, all winter, this area gets heavy rains, some places as much as 60"/year average. yet every year when it starts to rain, people drive like idiots, and there's 1000s of fender benders. you'd think people would learn, eh?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #24

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
We carry chains as we drive south every winter from Vancouver, BC passing through Oregon which has quite strict chain requirements. However, there’s no way I’m ever putting chains on my trailer. If it’s poor road conditions requiring chains, we are pulling off the road and waiting for the snow to pass. It’s highly unlikely we will ever be in a situation where we are forced to be anywhere by a certain day, so why risk driving in snow? Too high a possibility of sustaining damage to our trailer or TV through an accident. We can easily hole up somewhere, for 24 or even 48 hours, turn on the furnace and stay warm and safe as we let the bad weather pass.
Ditto for me. I used to live on the OR/CA border and it was not uncommon for the Siskiyou pass to have chain rules in effect. Although I have carried chains for years and have chains for my new tow vehicle, I have yet to install them on any vehicle (except fire trucks) and have no plans for their use other than some highly unlikely emergency. I would much rather wait the storm out than lay/kneel on the wet cold ground installing chains.