chains in the north rockies and canada in November? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
chains in the north rockies and canada in November?

my son is asking me to potentially haul him and his motorcycle from Reno to Calgary in November so he can catch a flight with the bike as cargo to the UK where he will be living for the next 3.5 years, working at Oxford University as a post-doc in Geology... Might do it with just my F250 4x4 which ahs brand new all terrain M&S rated tires, or might bring my Escape along.

most direct route is Reno to Idaho Falls to Butte,MT, up I15 to the border at Sweetgrass, then up Canada routes 4,3,2 to Calgary.

I'm totally ignorant on chain rules outside of Caliifornia, and trying to read summaries of per state laws has my head spinning. In California, having 4x4 and M&S tires means chains are only needed under R3 conditions which are pretty rare even around Lake Tahoe.

the truck's GVWR is 8800 lbs, the trailer is 4500 lbs, so combined, we're over a 10000 lb limit, which suggests that even tho I have 4x4 and good M&S tires, I'd need to chain up all 8 wheels under most chain control levels ?

has anyone towed a twinaxle Escape with chains? sounds brutal to me.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

Trailer: ?
I've learned my lesson about towing the CO Rockies when the chain law is in effect.
Don't even think about it.
Watch the weather forecast and leave yourself time to avoid that hazard.

The trucks still drive at insane speeds. The ice-melt stuff they put on the roads will cover every exposed electrical fitting on your truck and trailer. Once it dries, it's like a coating of plaster.

Did it once. Never again.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Team

FWIW, this route is relatively low. Looks like the I15 stretch doesn't go much over 6500' and most of it is at 4000-5000' east of the worst of the rockies.

the catch-22 is he has a rather narrow window of time to do this, about a week from his Thesis Defense to landing at Heathrow.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm confused why a US person would fly to England from Calgary? Toronto maybe but NYC or Dulles seems the logical take off point.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Team

its the motorcycle cargo. he's looking for the cheapest flight. and its much cheaper to fly a bike from Canada to EU than from US, dunno why. flights from Vancouver, apparently will only deliver a bike to Frankfurt, or maybe Paris, but flights from Calgary will deliver the bike to London. He's doing this because its cheaper to buy a bike here and fly it there than it is to buy the same bike there.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Has he looked into importing to UK? Price could go up.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Has he looked into importing to UK? Price could go up.
he's keeping it on US plates, he's just a visitor there on whatever university visa covers postdoc researchers, will be remaining on his US (Nevada) drivers license, and citizenship. He plans to bring it back to the states when he returns.

for what its worth, he's shopping for a nearly new KTM 1260 adventure touring bike :-O ... he wants to ride places like Spain, Morrocco, etc on his vacations.