Check your spare - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check your spare

on your tow vehicle. Come to find out that my Ram 1500 has 20' wheels and tires but a 17" temporary spare??
I know that Jeep provides 5 full sized tires and wheels and assumed a truck with a towing package would also, my mistake. Now to find a 20x9 wheel and spend money for a tire that hopefully I will never need.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tars

Hey Jim, you could put the new spare in rotation and get some wear out of it, or wait till you trade for another Dodge and put the 17 back in the spare rack, and insist on the full spare for
The new one. Then you'd have a spare pair and only have to buy two new ones when the originals wear out. Oh wait, you've never worn a set for out have you?
Dave
Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I was absolutely disgusted when I checked my spare after owning my Ford Ranger for a while. All my previous Mazda trucks had regular tires the same as the rest. T

I had asked the salesman if the the truck came with a "full size" spare. Imagine my disgust when it turned out to be "not to be used for towing" on a truck with a tow package and it was a different circumference. I went to an auto wrecker and got a matching wheel and tire. Thanks, Ford.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
When I bought my truck a few years ago I realized the original spare tire was now about 18 years old (1997 F250). So I pulled it and got a new spare tire since tires age out after awhile. Also, the prior owner had changed the tire size on the truck to give it a wider tread for hauling. I also bought a tire plug kit and a tire compressor. Figured flats never happen in a good place. Would be better to plug it, air up and get to a comfortable spot to handle a 10 ply tire 80lb tire if I can.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Jim
The Ram 1500's come with either 17" or 20" wheels. The sidewall on the 17 is taller and a lot of people swap out their 20's for 17's for a better ride and tire selection. If you have a 17" spare on a steel wheel the OD maybe the same as your 20" tires. Worth checking before spending a lot of money.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
my little jeep (renegade) has no spare

(but it also doesn't tow)
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Jim
The Ram 1500's come with either 17" or 20" wheels. The sidewall on the 17 is taller and a lot of people swap out their 20's for 17's for a better ride and tire selection. If you have a 17" spare on a steel wheel the OD maybe the same as your 20" tires. Worth checking before spending a lot of money.
Eddie
I do not understand, yes the temporary spare is 17 and yes it may have the same OD but I can not tow while using a temporary spare, so I need to replace it with a full sized spare, correct?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not understand, yes the temporary spare is 17 and yes it may have the same OD but I can not tow while using a temporary spare, so I need to replace it with a full sized spare, correct?
Why would the spare not work for towing? I know my spare does not have the same rim size, but the diameter is the same, and can be used for towing, no problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Why would the spare not work for towing? I know my spare does not have the same rim size, but the diameter is the same, and can be used for towing, no problem.
The manual for at least some vehicles with donut spares state "Do not tow with the spare".
Old 09-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The manual for at least some vehicles with donut spares state "Do not tow with the spare".
I realize that, but I understood Jim to say the tire was full sized, just not the same tire, as mine is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
If you saw my original spare tire, Continental brand, you wouldn't dream that it wasn't suitable for towing. It looks large and robust. 1" difference in rim size but overall diameter is pretty close. But then you see the sticker, "not to be used for towing" and a speed limitation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Lightweight, temporary-use spares for all-wheel-drive vehicles are usually close to the standard tire in overall outside diameter (regardless of wheel diameter) to avoid drivetrain damage. That does not mean that they have the same load capacity or speed rating.

If the spare is the "T" (Temporary) or "S" (Spare) type - rather than "P", "LT", or Euro-metric or commercial (no letter in front) - then it is not constructed to handle sustained high speeds. If it is narrow enough, it will need high pressure just to hold up the load, and will not be suitable for use with a fully-loaded vehicle.

Some of the "temporary use" designations and speed restrictions may simply be related to the mismatch of tire sizes with the normal tires, and resulting potential problems in handling. I think it is understandable that a vehicle manufacturer would prohibit towing with a mismatched tire, regardless of that tire's speed or load index.

If you're sure that the spare is the original, you don't even need to look at it to determine the size and type, since the loading and tire information sticker will show the tire specification. Of course we all should look at the spare occasionally, just to check the condition and inflation pressure; I don't do that very often.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I know my spare does not have the same rim size, but the diameter is the same, and can be used for towing, no problem.
Sure, but your manual says to tow with caution, because it is a dissimilar size tire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Speaking of spares, when it comes to the factory supplied jack, do not spare your attention and concern. My Silverado factory jack is such a lightweight toy piece of junk I would hesitate to trust it without using jack-stands on a concrete garage floor. In the out-back? Forgetta-bout-it.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #15

I contacted the dealership and they said they were not aware that it was not a regular tire and they were going to contact the regional director as well as tell new owners with the tow package that a spare tire will be needed. The weight capacity of the spare is the issue, not the same as the full sized tire. So the hunt is on for a 9" steel wheel and used p275/60R20 LT tire. Sometimes I wish I never find out about these things as I blissfully thought it was a regular spare for 3 years now and close to 30K miles towing.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Are you sure of this Jim? Mine has "Temporary use only" in big letters and I checked the capacity and it is lower than my tires as well as speed. Yes same diameter but that where the similarity ends.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I know that Jeep provides 5 full sized tires
Sooo happy someone gives a thumbs up for Jeep!!! Yeah!!! Love my Rubicon!!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
I contacted the dealership and they said they were not aware that it was not a regular tire and they were going to contact the regional director as well as tell new owners with the tow package that a spare tire will be needed. The weight capacity of the spare is the issue, not the same as the full sized tire. So the hunt is on for a 9" steel wheel and used p275/60R20 LT tire. Sometimes I wish I never find out about these
things as I blissfully thought it was a regular spare for 3 years now and close to 30K miles towing.
Supposedly the higher end Ram Trucks ( Ram Limited) come with a full size spare that is identical to the tires on the vehicle.
You and I evidently bought the stripped down , low end version of the Ram 1500 so we got the limited usage spare tire.
I knew there had to be a good reason why my salesperson tried to push me into buying the Limited Edition and now I know.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #19

The Ram Sport was supposed to be their 2nd from top of the line model and my sales person who was Ram mechanic for 15 years before becoming sales thought it was full size, we were all wrong and I'd be surprised any Ram has the full sized spare. He is trying to get one for me because of my past 10 year business with him both as sales and for service.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
The Ram Sport was supposed to be their 2nd from top of the line model and my sales person who was Ram mechanic for 15 years before becoming sales thought it was full size, we were all wrong and I'd be surprised any Ram has the full sized spare. He is trying to get one for me because of my past 10 year business with him both as sales and for service.
I wish you the best of luck and hope this problem is rectified to your satisfaction.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote