Cherokee NOT Grand Cherokee. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The automatic transmission in a Cherokee is the ZF 9HP; it is a 9-speed, and ZF's most advanced transverse transaxle. This transmission is used by at least three different manufacturers, for at least five brands of vehicles. It has some clever and unusual mechanical design features (see product description from ZF), and I haven't heard of any issues with it mechanically; however, part of the control system is up to the vehicle manufacturer, and control of complex moderns automatics is both critical to the performance of the transmission, and not easy to do. There have been many complaints about undesirable shift behaviour in FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) vehicles with the 9HP.

Two years is a long time for computer programs - the problem may be fixed by now. The dual-clutch automatic transmission in the Ford Focus was poorly behaved... until a software update for (I think) the 2014 model year, which transformed its behaviour.

The relevance to towing is that the transmission needs to shift at the right points to perform well, without "hunting" between gears, and hopefully without staying in a lower gear (making more noise and burning more fuel) than necessary. If it doesn't work well automatically, the manual mode may be a workaround.

The Buick Enclave (and equivalent with a Chevrolet badge, the Traverse) are a good size and configuration for towing an Escape, but have been severely criticized for durability in other forum discussions. My personal biases would make it unlikely for me to trust any Chrysler, but these GMs wouldn't top the list, either. The Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander (like the Enclave) are larger than the Cherokee, with longer wheelbase, wider track, and larger engines.
Clearly you have a much better understanding than we have of what the issue was . We did drive 9 speed on our visit in Germany ( 2012 ) - loved it . It was a 2014 that we tested in Dec.2013 was also back then that he suggested the Enclave .... think there are changes in the reviews now . But just for looks the Pilot is more interesting now . Have not checked it out ( our Jeep really is still very good and we are waffling ) but the interior looks better in the photos - previously we were not too keen on the interior look/finish .

Old 02-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 19' "Hardley" 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosebaugh View Post
We purchased a '14 Cherokee V-6 with tow package exactly 2 years ago, and a 19' Escape last August. Our only trip with the Escape, without lots of extra gear, was to Vancouver Island, and then over Stevens Pass (4100') in Washington to get home. Have had two software updates on the transmission and it performs well, towing or not (others may not have this experience). Acceleration on I-5 was fine, and no problems up and over the mountains. We used to live in southern MN, and you should do fine in WI. We chose the Cherokee over the Grand Cherokee for size and price, and love it.
Thanks for sharing Dave. You hit the two things that we found really attractive vs the Grand Cherokee. Good size for us and lower price. Also it has performance (weight rating Etc) that I haven't seen in a comparable sized vehicle. We're not settled on anything yet but it's good to hear it's a possible option.

Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Jimrules,
I am in the same situation with you, my Escape pick up date is in mid October 2016.
Currently, Hyundai Santa Fe v6 and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk v6 are in my list for towing my new Escape 17B. I read about cross action lawsuit and a quite many Jeep users complaining about transmission issues, but I realized there are not many choice with overall cost effective tow vehicles for 17B in current market.
When you made your decision of your tow vehicle, could you please share with other people including me? appreciate your question and comments.
chesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Regarding the GCWR, I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota and I could not for the life of me find the GCWR rating anywhere. Last week I found the original sticker off the window and there it was. You might look there if you are prone to keep things like that (was my first new truck ever).
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Regarding the GCWR, I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota and I could not for the life of me find the GCWR rating anywhere. Last week I found the original sticker off the window and there it was. You might look there if you are prone to keep things like that (was my first new truck ever).
That's an interesting source. I have only bought two vehicles brand new, and was not given that sheet in either case, so I don't know if either included the GCWR. I suspect that if that sheet shows the GCWR, then the manufacturer's customer service people (not the dealership, who is useless for essentially any information) could probably provide it as well, given the VIN.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 19' "Hardley" 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesed View Post
Jimrules,
I am in the same situation with you, my Escape pick up date is in mid October 2016.
Currently, Hyundai Santa Fe v6 and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk v6 are in my list for towing my new Escape 17B. I read about cross action lawsuit and a quite many Jeep users complaining about transmission issues, but I realized there are not many choice with overall cost effective tow vehicles for 17B in current market.
When you made your decision of your tow vehicle, could you please share with other people including me? appreciate your question and comments.
I could be wrong (it has certainly happened before) but it seems like the transmission issues are not so prevalent on the 2015-2016 Cherokee. The software apears to be catching up to the hardware. Other than that I'd have no reservations pulling a 17 with the Cherokee (3.2v6 w/tow package). I'm still not quite sure about it with a 19. (But I'm trying to stay out of the recent go big or go home discussions)
That said if you are picking up your trailer in in October you'll have made a TV decision long before us. We can't even order a trailer yet so we're a long way from a having to pick. I'm still holding out hope that VW will give me a new brand new Touareg to replace the dirty 2010 Jetta TDI they sold me. Ok, so that's probably not going to happen. Hopefully we'll have a new Chevy Bolt and a new TV in the driveway by the time our trailer is built. We'll see!

Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote