Chevy Silverado Towing - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
All of this leaves me wondering. I have a 4WD Silverado with 5.3L and 3.08 rear end, with the regular towing package. The specs say this allows towing a trailer weight of 6200 lbs. and a payload of 1820 lbs. We are looking to get an Escape 21 with GVWR 4500 lbs. I read of people towing a 21 with smaller vehicles with V6s. Then I read of others saying you really need a 6.2 with a 3.42 rear end and max trailering package. That is way past the listed requirements for an Escape 21, more like what one would get for a bigger and heavier trailer. So I am not sure what to think. Anyone towing a 21 with something like my my Silverado?
I don't think anyone is saying you need. Some of us are saying that if you are upgrading, a little more is nice to have. You are fine with what you've got. Get a new trailer, put a new tow in front of it and you are starting to talk some serious money. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
LOL, actually not near Phoenix, we're rural. The only center that is convenient to us per the recycling center link is the Wally and they have a 5 gallon limit. If I'm going to have to collect and bring used oil to them might as well just to have them do the change and then they don't tell you about any limits.
I'm in a rural area too. I accumulate used oil until I have enough to bother taking in, and of course I don't make a special trip for it - all trips into town are multi-purpose. 5 gallons is three or more oil changes (depending on vehicle). I use old oil containers to hold the used oil, which is practical because I generally buy it in 4 or 5 litre jugs, not individual one-litre (or one quart) bottles.

Having someone else do it, who is set up for disposal and everything else, certainly makes sense. I have found Toyota dealers not much more expensive than just the cost of oil and filter, and no more expensive than other shops. I wouldn't use Walmart for the same reason I don't use Canadian Tire and no longer let the oil change chains get near my vehicles - lack of competence. If they haven't damaged your vehicle yet, be happy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #63

Quote:
All of this leaves me wondering. I have a 4WD Silverado with 5.3L and 3.08 rear end, with the regular towing package. The specs say this allows towing a trailer weight of 6200 lbs. and a payload of 1820 lbs. We are looking to get an Escape 21 with GVWR 4500 lbs. I read of people towing a 21 with smaller vehicles with V6s. Then I read of others saying you really need a 6.2 with a 3.42 rear end and max trailering package. That is way past the listed requirements for an Escape 21, more like what one would get for a bigger and heavier trailer. So I am not sure what to think.
I agree with Loren - it's not about need, but rather what might make sense if choosing a new vehicle.

The towing and payload packages are good ideas for most people who tow, but not needed if your truck without them is within its limits while towing your chosen trailer; the payload packages are of particular interest to 5.0TA owners, but may be of value to others as well. That 1820 pound payload is quite high for a "half ton" anyway; there are members here towing 5.0TAs with less, and 21's with much less.

The biggest engine may make towing more enjoyable, and may not incur the fuel consumption penalty that you would expect compared to the smaller versions of the same engine (GM's current 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8 are all the same design). That's helpful to know, but it doesn't mean you need the 6.2.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Thanks. I was wondering if I would need a WDH. Anyone else with experiences similar to what I will have?
Again, you don't need a WDH with your truck as I have towed with and without one. But I could tell the difference as the WDH takes a little of the "bounce" out of the whole rig. When we were buying, Reace recommended one for this reason. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Brian: Owners manual recommends synthetic as an option. I asked my dealer svc mgr once when they did the "warranty service package" if they used synthetic oil. Answer was no, that's extra. Pat: A week later when I was getting new Michelins at Costco we discovered my wheel lock key had gone missing. Had to go back to dealer service, they claimed ignorance, but replaced my locks with standard lugs, free.

By the way, must correct myself: WalMart carries regular motor oil, but not in the 0W-20 grade. What turned me off to WalMart service guy is he claimed my truck could only run on synthetic oil. Also found out Fram makes a custom "cup" wrench that fits the smaller oil filters. A piece of plastic that has an opening for a 3/8" ratchet. Who knew?

Old plug is toast. I bought a new pan plug at Auto Zone. $3.68.

Nancy couldn't get the large oil stains out of my sweatshirt. Need help.
Attached Thumbnails
fram.jpg  
Old 02-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
8.5 quarts? Sounds crazy, but also had me checking my owner's manual for the '13 Yukon with 5.3. Whew! 6 quarts which I have been using the last three times. Increased the capacity starting with 2014 model year.

In searching this though I found a 5/11/15 GM Service Bulletin that has reduced the Gen V 5.3 & 6.2 V-8 engines to 8 quarts from 8.5.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's unfortunate. I bought a lifetime oil change package with my Mazda (I normally wouldn't; it was part of the purchase negotiation); they contact me to suggest having the next one done when they predict it is due, they include the usual inspection service, they top up minor fluids at no charge (including filling the washer fluid reservoir)... and they do the oil and filter change with synthetic oil and an original-equipment filter.
Looked at Mazda too . Very fast and cool vehicles . Went with Subaru . Anyway buy the synthetic oil and filters at Subaru . I have a container that holds 2 changes . Go to our O Reilly's auto parts . They give me coupons . I got 2 = 1.60 to spend there for my used oil . Every little bit helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Owners manual recommends synthetic as an option. I asked my dealer svc mgr once when they did the "warranty service package" if they used synthetic oil. Answer was no, that's extra.
That makes sense - why would they spend more than they need to, for a customer's vehicle? For my own, I buy synthetic. For my Mazda service package, the oil is synthetic because that's the factory spec.

Quote:
By the way, must correct myself: WalMart carries regular motor oil, but not in the 0W-20 grade. What turned me off to WalMart service guy is he claimed my truck could only run on synthetic oil.
I'm not surprised - when 0W-20 first appeared, I'm sure it was only made in synthetic.
I think we're back to "don't believe anything said by anyone selling anything"

Quote:
Also found out Fram makes a custom "cup" wrench that fits the smaller oil filters. A piece of plastic that has an opening for a 3/8" ratchet. Who knew?
That's the type I called a "socket". I've never had one, but it makes sense if filters with consistent flats are being repeatedly changed.

Quote:
Old plug is toast. I bought a new pan plug at Auto Zone. $3.68.
Ah, good - thanks for the update. It's handy the plug was readily available and inexpensive.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #69

Trailer: None as yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Hi Loren

That would be me, love the 6.2, 8 speed, NHT (3.42 gears).
Pulls the 5.0TA like nothing, gets better mpg then my 5.3, 6 speed and is fun to drive when the stabilatrack and traction control are turned off.

Cheers
Doug
Doug, I have a 2006 Silverado Crew cab with the short bed. Have you had any problems with the 5th wheel?

What hitch are you using?
SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Casejh::::

Re: wdh.

I really like my Andersen in a) windy or b) twisty road conditions ... For sway control. WD is not needed, depending on how I load "my stuff".

Re: towing vehicle

I have the Ram equivalent to you and do fine by locking out higher gears, especially in mountain / hill country. Having said that, I will be getting the towing package on my next pick up, as I am often in hill country.

tl;dr
Run what you brung.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #71

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I find with my Sierra that the first thing I do when towing is shut off the grade braking. I find it annoying as I like to manually gear down, nothing worse then wanting to pick up a couple mph descending a small hill knowing you will quickly lose it going up the other side and the grade braking kicks in. The shifting in the tow haul mode is much improved when towing I find.

Cheers
Doug
I have yet to determine if I love or hate the grade braking feature. It is very valuable in the mountains of AZ and definitely saves a lot of braking. However, it does come on at times when I really don't want it. At times when it does engage, it can increase the RPM to over 5K instantly if the grade is steep enough. I need to read the manual again to figure out how to quickly engage and disengage this feature. Bob
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found in both of my last 2 automatics with "tow mode" that it takes awhile for the computer to learn your driving habits and after several cross country trips it seems to get better.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #73

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Spec's in these truck's can they be believed.80,000km's change out your trans fluid,your transfer case fluid.Why? Do they not trust there own warrranties 100000 kms for p/train .
2014 sierra dbl cab 5.3
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYBGR View Post
Spec's in these truck's can they be believed.80,000km's change out your trans fluid,your transfer case fluid.Why? Do they not trust there own warrranties 100000 kms for p/train .
I don't get the connection. A 100,000 kilometre powertrain warranty just means that they'll cover repair if the powertrain fails due to defect before 100,000 km when properly maintained. The engine is covered by that warranty, and needs several oil change in that period, and perhaps a coolant flush as well. Fluid changes are just maintenance, unrelated to the warranty period.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBN View Post
Doug, I have a 2006 Silverado Crew cab with the short bed. Have you had any problems with the 5th wheel?

What hitch are you using?

No problems what so ever, I don't have the short box, mine is the the regular box. My last truck (2011 Sierra) had the short box and it also had no problems with the 5.0TA. I use the Reese 16K hitch, it has the slider option but I have never used that with either truck.
Cheers
Doug
Old 08-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #76

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I've been using drain plugs from Fumoto® USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valves

I was changing the oil by myself and when I took my F 150 to the dealer for a 30,000 mile service they changed the oil. 5,000 miles later I discovered they had cross threaded the oil pan bolt when they put it back in. Never gone back to a dealer again. I cleaned up the threads with a tap and put a Fumoto valve in there and it has been leak tight for 75,000 miles so far. I also put on on my wife's car. I'm still enough of a klutz that I get oil on my hands but now it's a lot less.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote