Chrysler Eco Diesel Emissions Tests by EPA maybe another dieselgate - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #81

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Cool Diesels

Speaking of Diesel exhaust, does anyone other than me remember the huge brown cloud over LA, Phx and other cities in the 60's. Of course you could see a contributing source, the huuuge diesel engines flying overhead at that time. I'm sure glad they were cleaned up as well as all the other contributors to the brown clouds.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Post relevance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is a solution.
Just don't post on threads like this one.
Not going to change anybody's mind anyway.
The reason I posted this thread was to make available what I considered valid and useful information for members considering a F-C eco diesel vehicle.

Shortly after I placed the order for my 2016 Touareg TDI the 2 litre TDI became an issue. I considered backing out of the deal but had the assurance from the dealership as well as an email from the VW zone manager that the 3 litre in the Touareg was not included in the quickly arising issue. . Delivery happened 4 weeks later and a stop sell order on the TDI 2 weeks after that. Now I am awaiting the final news resolution for my Touareg.

Hence I considered the heads up in the original post as a caution for others, all I did was steer interested members to the information via the link.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This has been a good thread with some good insights, what Glenn was referring to was the negative posting by some, his way is to ignore them. Thanks for the heads up on the diesel...
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wasn't referring to your original post, which was relevant and useful. I was referring to the ensuing discussion over climate change, which was getting heated.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #85

There you go
Old 01-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
David H, I consider your post both appropriate and useful.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #87

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Speaking of Diesel exhaust, does anyone other than me remember the huge brown cloud over LA, Phx and other cities in the 60's. Of course you could see a contributing source, the huuuge diesel engines flying overhead at that time. I'm sure glad they were cleaned up as well as all the other contributors to the brown clouds. Jack
Add Denver Colorado to your list. It sits down in a bowl, and temperature inversions used to hold all that vehicle exhaust and factory smoke stack junk down in the city for extended periods of time. They used to broadcast air quality reports over local radio and TV warning residents and commuters about the daily smog level and advising people when to stay indoors. You don't normally think of that kind of thing in Colorado, but it used to happen.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #88

Speaking of mother nature, the State of Maine has some of the worst pollution, although it does not produce any of it. The westerly winds carry all the pollution from the midwest, across Chicago and the Detroit, Pittsburgh and up over the northeast across Maine out to the ocean.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #89

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wasn't referring to your original post, which was relevant and useful. I was referring to the ensuing discussion over climate change, which was getting heated.
The topic debated is a good one and very interesting.

Where it went south was when some posters not in agreement with others compared them to crazies and lifelong conspiracy nut jobs. This tactic, from the 1970s, has no place when debating any issue. Had it not been for that it would have been a good debate.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #90

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Or maybe it was a topic best left for somewhere other than on a Forum about fiberglass trailers. I'd hazard a guess that few people come here in hopes that they will get read opinions on climate change.

Satire clearly doesn't get thru as hints that something is an inappropriate topic for a trailer forum.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
I'm pretty late to this party but I'd like to say a few things all the same. I drive a '97 Mercedes E300D. D is for diesel. It doesn't sound like a diesel. When I pull into a gas station where they have to pump your fuel (Oregon) I have to watch it that they don't put gasoline in it. The exhaust smells a bit like bleach but that is it. There is virtually no smoke from the tail pipe. It isn't very zippy. I should have bought a '98 which is turbocharged but I didn't. It is a full sized car and gets around 30 MPG. I don't think diesel passenger vehicles are doomed. I think they will play an even bigger part in the future.

Let's not condemn the good guys for the acts of the bad guys. I used to respect VW a lot. I don't any more. I've owned 4 of their vehicles in the past but will never buy another. I've never been a fan of Chrysler but so far I'm withholding judgement. I suspect they will dodge (ya, that's a pun) this bullet with the change in government. It isn't right but it is real. If I judge that they have followed VW then they will go on the same list.

Regarding climate change, what do you expect? Nothing stays the same. Change is the only constant. I remember when I was a kid they were predicting a new ice age. This has been the coldest winter in 20 years where I live. Maybe the globe is warming but my home isn't. I say, let it warm. What ever it does we will figure it out and deal with it. What's the big deal?
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 AM   #92

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... Nothing stays the same. ...
Our property in Alabama is about 500 feet above what we now know as "sea level." Geologists say our property used to be under water, part of the ocean floor. It was a good thing for us that the ice age froze a bunch of that water at the poles, lowered the level of the oceans, and made room for us to live here - close to the gulf, but not under it. Now, after a couple million years, it appears to be edging back to the way it used to be, and people living at the oceans' edges are getting understandably nervous. As George Carlin used to say (paraphrased), the Earth will survive humans, but humans may not....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #93
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It doesn't matter to me whether a person believes the climate is changing due to the activities of mankind, or it's changing due to a natural cycle. What does matter to me is, politicians and people in authority using the climate change mantra to pass new laws, make new rules, initiate new regulations, legislate more taxes, raise more fees, and in general assert more power and control over the people. Particularly when many scientists believe these new laws, rules and regulations will have little if any effect. I bristle at that, and always will. Call it my libertarian streak.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #94

I was really hoping that this had moved off to some more appropriate political discusion forum somewhere... I give up....

Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Bigfoot 25B175FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It doesn't matter to me whether a person believes the climate is changing due to the activities of mankind, or it's changing due to a natural cycle. What does matter to me is, politicians and people in authority using the climate change mantra to pass new laws, make new rules, initiate new regulations, legislate more taxes, raise more fees, and in general assert more power and control over the people. Particularly when many scientists believe these new laws, rules and regulations will have little if any effect. I bristle at that, and always will. Call it my libertarian streak.
Many scientists? Ah yes, Texas.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #96

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think this is what you are referring to.
https://www.prageru.com/courses/environmental-science
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #97
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I was really hoping that this had moved off to some more appropriate political discusion forum somewhere... I give up....
It's time to take this discussion down a notch. If you wish to discuss politics, the EPA, climate change (or not) etc. there are other places on the WWW.

THANKS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's time to take this discussion down a notch. If you wish to discuss politics, the EPA, climate change (or not) etc. there are other places on the WWW.

THANKS!
Donna!
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When I first heard the news that VW had been cheating on its emissions tests, my first thought was that there will be other shoes to drop. Engineers talk to each other, and if one company is cheating its competitors will feel the competitive pressure to cheat as well. So I'm disappointed but not surprised to hear the news about Fiat / Chrysler. I'm sure by now regulators are looking closely at all the auto manufacturers, so there might be more news along these lines.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #100
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
When I first heard the news that VW had been cheating on its emissions tests, my first thought was that there will be other shoes to drop. Engineers talk to each other, and if one company is cheating its competitors will feel the competitive pressure to cheat as well. So I'm disappointed but not surprised to hear the news about Fiat / Chrysler. I'm sure by now regulators are looking closely at all the auto manufacturers, so there might be more news along these lines.
That's probably true Mike. There are very few well kept secrets in the engineering world.