Chrysler Eco Diesel Emissions Tests by EPA maybe another dieselgate - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Chrysler Eco Diesel Emissions Tests by EPA maybe another dieselgate

Interesting development regarding the Chrysler eco diesel. Check out this news clip from the Green Car Reports.

BREAKING: Ram, Jeep diesel engines may have cheated emissions tests
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
uh..oh...
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
perhaps after the VW scandal and VW not being caught by the EPA testing initially...the EPA may now be going back and retesting every diesel vehicle they initially passed..

was under the impression though that the Chrysler Eco Diesel was imported from Europe where it had been used for some time....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I read a trade journal article on that this morning. Fiat Chrysler insists their software is different than that used by VW, and they were not trying to circumvent the emissions tests with it. Time will tell.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

and we used to tell the public, "I'm with the IRS and we are here to help you...."
Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
This could very well be the end of Chrysler if they are lying. VW may survive the fallout from their scandal, but I'm not sure Chrysler would.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Interesting...reminds me of Sep-2015 when VW scandal broke but hopefully won't be as disastrous for Fiat-Chrysler. Some good things can come out of bad...we are selling our Jetta TDI back to VW next month, purchasing a Ford F-150 and then an Escape 5,0TA in May. The numbers wouldn't have worked without the buyback! I hope Ford's 2018 diesel works out but tougher U.S. emissions requirements make them expensive to engineer and maintain. I'll miss our diesel but a big comfortable truck and relaxing trailer will more than ease the pain.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Maybe now the automakers will come to the realization that the legal and financial liabilities of small diesel vehicles far out weighs any potential profits . Going bankrupt trying to capture the small segment of the population that desires small diesel vehicles seems like a bad gamble. IMHO. If Fiat Chrysler is forced into bankruptcy it may be enough for GM and Ford to abandon their diesel options or raise the price high enough to match the risk.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, don't commit fraud?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
I don't feel like the Classifieds is the right home for this thread. Maybe "Towing and Hitting" or "Cyber Campfire"?
Then again what do I know. I'm turning in my Jetta TDI next month and I already bought a diesel Grand Cherokee to replace it and become our tow vehicle.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
I don't feel like the Classifieds is the right home for this thread. Maybe "Towing and Hitting" or "Cyber Campfire"?
Then again what do I know. I'm turning in my Jetta TDI next month and I already bought a diesel Grand Cherokee to replace it and become our tow vehicle.
You are right, moving it to Towing, thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, don't commit fraud?
At this point , there is no way of telling if anyone committed fraud and that accusation is extremely premature !
Being accused of something is not the same as being found guilty in a legal proceding.
It is also possible that the EPA and /or Fiat Chrysler did not exercise due diligence when conducting their testing .
It is also possible that no small diesel engine can meet the EPA /
CARB standards as written or interpreted.
I am not convinced that diesels are the future for small efficient passenger cars & trucks. Trading high MPG's at the expense of clean air is a bad bargain in my estimation.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #13

You are assuming I am talking about Fiat/Chrysler.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Maybe now the automakers will come to the realization that the legal and financial liabilities of small diesel vehicles far out weighs any potential profits . Going bankrupt trying to capture the small segment of the population that desires small diesel vehicles seems like a bad gamble. IMHO. If Fiat Chrysler is forced into bankruptcy it may be enough for GM and Ford to abandon their diesel options or raise the price high enough to match the risk.
There are lots and lots of great small diesels being used around the world. The large ones in passenger vehicles are mostly in North America. I have had one for the last 25+ years. I know when Ford redid the Ranger a few years back, it was offered with one gasoline, and two diesel engines, I believe 2.2 and 3.2 litre versions with great success.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There are lots and lots of great small diesels being used around the world. The large ones in passenger vehicles are mostly in North America. I have had one for the last 25+ years. I know when Ford redid the Ranger a few years back, it was offered with one gasoline, and two diesel engines, I believe 2.2 and 3.2 litre versions with great success.
I agree , but the EPA / CARB standards in the USA and standards in other parts of the world are not the same. Vehicles have to meet the current standards that are in force on their date of manufacture. As an example older diesel vehicles did not require
DEF , modern diesel vehicles do. I would doubt your 25 year old diesel complies with the 2017 standards ..
Take a look at the recent photos of the polution in Peking and it is easy to see that world standards are set awfully low.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
DEF , modern diesel vehicles do. I would doubt your 25 year old diesel complies with the 2017 standards.
I had the first generation (early 90's) Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. In bull low I think I could out pull a locomotive. Great drive train, but the truck fell apart quick. And loud, very loud. My 2013 F25 Powerstroke Diesel is almost as quiet as a gas engine.

Pretty much like this one. An extended cab. In it I had my first ever truck mounted cell phone, the type that the horn went off to sound the ring tone.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I drove a 2005 Cummins 6 spd stick for a few years. Never used first gear. Popped it into 6th at about 60 kmh (35 mph) and never had to shift down to pass or to climb hills. At the right speeds it would get better mileage than the Mercedes Smart car. Taught my daughter how to drive stick in it because it wouldn't stall. The only downside was the when the turbo kicked in and it would pump out black exhaust like a third world factory
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #18

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
The only downside was the when the turbo kicked in and it would pump out black exhaust like a third world factory
I could be wrong but my understanding is that diesel engine smoke is particulates and not smog producing. In third worlds their terrible smog, China for example as I have experienced it, is caused by so many other things such as power generation via coal burning without use of scrubbers like we do in the US. Their list of no nos is extensive and now they are paying the price.

In Europe, Australia and New Zealand for example where they cherish clean air, the vast majority of passenger vehicles are diesel powered. Most gasoline ones I've seen are high ticket performance ones and there aren't as many of those. With so many oil burners in those countries you would think you see smog and that their population would not put up with it. Diesel has been getting a bum rap for a long time.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
You said it Santiago. There are many reasons for the war on diesel in the US, but in my opinion none of them have anything to do with clean air.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #20

Takes time to change people's minds.
My dad bought a Mercedes 190D about 1964. It couldn't pass it's own exhaust fumes. Having been out of the country for four years, he didn't realize that two-tone cars were passe. Saw that vehicle around town, the only two-tone in North America, for at least ten years after he sold it and bought a Valiant. The Valiant came with paint runs, standard, on the window frames.
Which is why I'm not in the market for a Fiat/Chrysler diesel product.